Web font icons don't always show

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
gnomiik

Web font icons don't always show

Unread post by gnomiik » 2019-07-02, 19:29

When deselecting "Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections above" some pages don't show all the icon fonts. For example https://www.washingtonpost.com, there should be a magnifying glass instead of "fl"
snapshot-0.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Web font icons don't always show

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-02, 20:54

That *is* the result of not allowing web pages to choose their own fonts (or disabling downloadable fonts).
You get what you ask for. Icon fonts are determined by the web site, and you have to allow the fonts determined by the website to get them.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gnomiik

Unread post by gnomiik » 2019-07-17, 14:28

I fixed my own problem using Guerilla Script. End result is all non icon fonts will be replaced with Arial

Code: Select all

// ==UserScript==
// @name         Arial Forced
// @namespace    https://arial.forced.com
// @version      1.0.0
// @description  Change all fonts to Arial and keep web fonts
// @include      *//*
// @grant        none
// ==/UserScript==
(function() 
{
    var all = document.all;
    for (var i=0; i<all.length; i++) 
    {

var font = 'Arial';
        var fonts = window.getComputedStyle(all[i]).getPropertyValue('font-family');
        var cl = all[i].getAttribute("class");

// Prevent some stuff from being replaced
        if (
               /fa-search/.test(cl) == false
            && /monospace/.test(fonts) == false
        )
        {
            all[i].style.fontFamily = '"' + font + '", ' + fonts;
        }
    }
})();

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-17, 14:37

Not really fixing anything.. More of a workaround for a poor decision. But hey, good for you dude.

gnomiik

Unread post by gnomiik » 2019-07-18, 15:25

Thanks for your useless comment which provides 0% value for anyone except wasting their time reading it. FYI, not everyone likes anti aliased fonts. But you're probably a millennial that grew up sucking on an iphone instead of a pacifier so you wouldn't know that there was a time before anti aliased fonts and people that actually grew up during that time might want their fonts that way when browsing the web.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-07-18, 15:45

Font anti-aliasing has nothing to do with disallowing web pages to choose their own fonts.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-18, 15:52

gnomiik wrote:
2019-07-18, 15:25
Thanks for your useless comment which provides 0% value for anyone except wasting their time reading it.
Much like reading threads about non-issues caused by the software doing exactly what you asked it to. Have a nice day!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-18, 18:27

Antialiasing of fonts has absolutely nothing to do with this issue. You can have aliased fonts if you insist while still allowing the page to determine what fonts to use.
Off-topic:
Also, your venomous response has netted you a one-and-only warning.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-18, 19:09

Heh, he doesn't know me very well does he?

gnomiik

Unread post by gnomiik » 2019-07-24, 09:34

yami_ wrote:
2019-07-18, 15:45
Font anti-aliasing has nothing to do with disallowing web pages to choose their own fonts.
Unfortunately, "disallowing web pages to choose their own fonts" does not always work. Easy test: First disallow web pages to choose their own fonts and then go to the pale moon road map https://www.palemoon.org/roadmap.shtml . It still chooses it's own font

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-24, 12:02

gnomiik wrote:
2019-07-24, 09:34
yami_ wrote:
2019-07-18, 15:45
Unfortunately, "disallowing web pages to choose their own fonts" does not always work. Easy test: First disallow web pages to choose their own fonts and then go to the pale moon road map https://www.palemoon.org/roadmap.shtml . It still chooses it's own font
I most definitely works.
chosen_fonts.png
Observe the display in Times, the default serif font, instead of Museo, the house style's font, after deselecting the relevant option in preferences -> content
Image2.png

gnomiik

Unread post by gnomiik » 2019-08-08, 21:04

So, Uncheck "Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections above", and choose Arial. Then go to the Pale Moon Roadmap and you will see it is not Arial.
1.png
2.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-08, 22:37

It behaves exactly as it should :)

I'll explain:
You've changed the settings for Latin. That would work fine for pages with Latin character encoding like ISO-8859-1.
The Pale Moon website however does not use a Latin character set. It uses UTF-8. UTF-8 is a Universal character encoding, not a Latin one. So if you want to determine the fonts for it, you will have to set the fonts for "Other writing systems".

gnomiik

Unread post by gnomiik » 2019-08-13, 18:02

Thank you! Did not know about the "Other writing systems"