HomeDepot.com redisign has broken functionality on all versions of PM (even Blood Moon)

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

HomeDepot.com redisign has broken functionality on all versions of PM (even Blood Moon)

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2019-07-11, 01:22

Take a look at the following webpage:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Phifer-72-i ... /100627118

At first glance, everything seems fine, until you try and click the big image of the product in question or click on one of images on the left side.
On even the newest version of Blood Moon (as of this post) as well as only slightly older versions of Firefox like version 65 (which isn't even 6 months old), nothing will happen. This behavior (or lack there of) also occurs in the newest previous version of Firefox ESR as well.

However, in something like Firefox version 66 and newer, clicking said image will instead result in a JavaScript window appearing that contains an enlarged image of the one you clicked, or of an according video.

(my personal pet theory is that a web designer somewhere may have been a bit too eager to implement a new and shiny function without fully waiting for the paint on said function to dry)
Last edited by __NM64__ on 2019-07-11, 01:45, edited 2 times in total.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: HomeDepot.com redisign has broken functionality on all versions of PM (even Blood Moon)

Unread post by therube » 2019-07-11, 01:33

Already reported, here, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22442.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: HomeDepot.com redisign has broken functionality on all versions of PM (even Blood Moon)

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-11, 01:36

The "only tested in Chrome" effect.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2019-07-11, 01:39

Oh, I didn't look in the "General Support" forum because I thought that would have been the wrong forum for such a thing.

Moonchild wrote:
2019-07-11, 01:36
The "only tested in Chrome" effect.
This is why I mentioned that it doesn't even work in Firefox 65 let alone Firefox ESR (EDIT: albeit the previous ESR version). I may not have any coding ability, but to me that still seems like way too recent of versions for the web designer to have completely ignored, and that's without considering the likes of IE and Edge...
Last edited by __NM64__ on 2019-07-11, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-07-11, 01:42

FF ESR just switched to 68.0esr, & it should be working in there (though I have not tested).

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2019-07-11, 01:44

therube wrote:
2019-07-11, 01:42
FF ESR just switched to 68.0esr, & it should be working in there (though I have not tested).
I didn't realize that - I tested with FF ESR 60 since that's still the newest version posted on PortableApps (which is what I used to easily test various versions of Firefox in order to determine the newest version that the issue still existed in).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-11, 02:15

If HomeDepot doesn't want my patronage, they should most definitely continue to use bleeding edge "features" that demand you to pretty much use the latest version of one browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2019-07-11, 04:54

Off-topic:
therube wrote:
2019-07-11, 01:42
FF ESR just switched to 68.0esr,
60.8 ESR is the current release, though 68 has also been made available as an option for testing.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-07-11, 05:30

(Yes, they'll run in parallel for another .dot release or so.)

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-07-17, 15:41

Moonchild wrote:
2019-07-11, 02:15
If HomeDepot doesn't want my patronage, they should most definitely continue to use bleeding edge "features" that demand you to pretty much use the latest version of one browser.
Has anyone tried contacting HomeDepot?

I could try doing this if no one else has. Perhaps I could even go to my local HomeDepot and ask about it.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-07-17, 16:43

Tharthan wrote:
2019-07-17, 15:41
I could try doing this if no one else has. Perhaps I could even go to my local HomeDepot and ask about it.
The local store likely won't be able to help with this. If the store even has any IT on staff, they probably aren't involved with website development for the whole company. Your best bet is to go through their website feedback or other online channels.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-07-17, 17:11

Isengrim wrote:
2019-07-17, 16:43
Your best bet is to go through their website feedback or other online channels.
Does anyone have any thoughts for what ought to be specifically noted in the e-mail?

If not, I can come up with something, and then preview it here and see what you [plural] think.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-07-17, 19:09

Tharthan wrote:
2019-07-17, 17:11

Does anyone have any thoughts for what ought to be specifically noted in the e-mail?

If not, I can come up with something, and then preview it here and see what you [plural] think.
I would say ask them if it is possible to support wide-spread common and already proved ecmascript standards instead of using drafts and "new standards" which only a few browsers do support.

So basically, ask for legacy-support :) As the thing is, big browser developers may be able to adopt all that fresh stuff - but smaller teams either not or if they manage to do so, it costs tons of time and effort.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-07-18, 00:36

This is the draught that I came up with:

To Whom it May Concern,

Hello.

On behalf of the users of the Pale Moon web browser, I wish to inform you that there seems to be an issue with the coding of some of your web pages.

If one, using the browser, goes to the Home Depot website and clicks on the alternate product images on the left of a product page, nothing happens. What is intended to happen is for a JavaScript window to appear containing an enlarged version of the clicked image, or a corresponding video.

This issue wasn't present originally, but due to some apparent changes in the Home Depot website's scripting, a number of your customers have been unable to use the Home Depot website, and (thus) are unable to make a decision on whether or not to purchase particular products that you are offering.

We very much appreciate the great service that Home Depot otherwise offers, so it saddens us that we are unable to properly use your site.

The new ECMAScript standards that your website is working around only support a very small number of browsers. We respectfully ask that you provide support for widespread common, and already tried and tested ECMAScript standards.

Thank you very much for your consideration, and I await your response.

Respectfully yours,

[MY NAME]

Please critique.

---
__NM64__ wrote:
2019-07-11, 01:22
Moonchild wrote:
satrow wrote:
2019-07-11, 04:54
Isengrim wrote:
2019-07-17, 16:43
van p wrote:
2019-07-04, 03:43
Cassette wrote:
2019-07-04, 05:45

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-07-18, 01:03

I'll just note other browsers that are likewise affected:

SeaMonkey; 2.49, 2.53, 2.57 (gecko 60)
Firefox 60esr (any FF < 63)
(basically any "gecko" < 63, so Waterfox 56 too)

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-07-18, 02:17

therube wrote:
2019-07-18, 01:03
I'll just note other browsers that are likewise affected:

SeaMonkey; 2.49, 2.53, 2.57 (gecko 60)
Firefox 60esr (any FF < 63)
(basically any "gecko" < 63, so Waterfox 56 too)
Don't you think that if I mentioned SeaMonkey or older versions of Firefox, they would just reply something like:

"Respectfully, we would recommend that you and your community update to a newer, safer browser"

or some silliness like that?

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-07-18, 04:54

All of the browsers mentioned are current & are still supported, including security updates - just as much as Pale Moon.
And actually, I'd expect they'd make the very same comment about Pale Moon too.
So you present the best case you can, in the most meaningful way & maybe it will effect a change.

mintoyatsu
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by mintoyatsu » 2019-07-18, 05:42

Off-topic:
Moonchild wrote:
I've heard from a former employee that Home Depot underpays their workers and doesn't put enough people on shift. Very high turnover. All the checkout lanes are automated as well. In my opinion, screw them.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-18, 05:49

Just shop at Lowe's instead, I say.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-07-18, 14:39

Off-topic:
mintoyatsu wrote:
2019-07-18, 05:42
Off-topic:
Moonchild wrote:
If HomeDepot doesn't want my patronage [...]
I've heard from a former employee that Home Depot underpays their workers [...] In my opinion, screw them.
Here's a feature piece about that.

Also, they drive smaller local businesses that, unlike Home Depot were genuinely part of their local communities, out of existence.

Concerning the letter, here is my view:
People who try to use the site and find it doesn't work for them should contact Home Depot and tell them about it, regardless whether Home Depot is likely to be responsive. I believe those are the people who should do the communicating.

Feedback from shoppers in the course of trying unsuccessfully to shop might have influence (eventually) if there is a large enough number of such communications (such that Home Depot sees the site to be non-functioning in a way that costs them real money). But a letter written in the abstract, as this one seems to be, is to my mind less useful.

Consider reframing your letter in terms of your own trouble trying to use the site, mentioning that other PM users have the same problem to establish that it's not unique to you (rather than to frame it as a collective communication).

Specifically concerning this: "On behalf of the users of the Pale Moon web browser,"
@Tharthan, you do not represent "the users of the Pale Moon web browser".

People may have varying individual opinions on whether they want your letter to represent themselves, but you don't represent or speak "on behalf of" the collective usership, and you can't hold yourself out to Home Depot as having such a status. At least not legitimately. (I get that you wanted to give yourself the appearance of having standing, but still...)

Or... tl/dr. As said above, just shop elsewhere.