Pale Moon Portable on Linux through Wine

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
freefrog
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Pale Moon Portable on Linux through Wine

Unread post by freefrog » 2019-07-11, 17:40

I know the title can imply a bad usage of the portable version, so let me explain what I'm trying to do.

We have a Chinese DVR, with a Windows-only plugin which is needed to view and manage the cameras through web interface.
We need to do it on a Linux machine, so we thought about Pale Moon Portable + Wine (quicker than actually installing)

But trying "wine Palemoon-Portable.exe" gives
"Your Pale Moon profile cannot be loaded. It may be missing or inaccessible."

This is a Pale Moon Portable new installation, just extracted from the 7z executable file.
Help by chance?

Thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon Portable on Linux through Wine

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-11, 20:43

I don't think the portable shell will be happy with wine. From what I know, Pale Moon itself runs fine under wine, so you should be able to just get the zipped-up Pale Moon browser, and start palemoon.exe through wine with the appropriate command-line parameter to point it to a specific profile location.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

freefrog
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by freefrog » 2019-07-12, 17:01

The zipped-up (non-portable) version didn't work neither, exact same issue as with the portable version.

The only one working out of the box was the installer version (which creates the Pale Moon profile within the Wine profile).

Isn't there any way to make portable or zipped-up versions to work under Wine?

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2019-07-12, 17:42

freefrog wrote:
2019-07-12, 17:01
Isn't there any way to make portable or zipped-up versions to work under Wine?
I'm running one application under wine (an text editor) and found that it only works after running the installer program under wine. Wine monitors the behavior and saves a lot of data for being able later to emulate a windows environment for the application, there is a directory tree looking like half of the windows system. Perhaps it is possible to create and edit this data manually but you would have to study the inner working of wine, would be "going the hard way". The first address for information and help is https://www.winehq.org/.

Why can't you use the installer version of pale moon if this is working? the installation needs a short amount of time once.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-07-12, 21:57

To be fair, if you don't want to keep the installation around for whatever reason, you can just delete/move/something else the .wine directory.
If I'm not mistaken recent versions of wine also allow multiple "environments", so you can create one just for Pale Moon and move it away (in an external storage, "the cloud", whatever) until you need it again.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-13, 00:55

I'm running one application under wine (an text editor) and found that it only works after running the installer program under wine. Wine monitors the behavior and saves a lot of data for being able later to emulate a windows environment for the application
That makes a lot of sense. So yeah, you won't be able to use the portable or zipped version because wine expects you to go through an installer process that will set the wine environment up for the application.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

freefrog
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by freefrog » 2019-07-13, 17:43

Thanks everyone for your advise; what a pity that it's not possible...

karlkracher wrote:
2019-07-12, 17:42
I'm running one application under wine (an text editor) and found that it only works after running the installer program under wine.
Just curiosity, may I ask what text editor you use?

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2019-07-13, 18:55

freefrog wrote:
2019-07-13, 17:43
Just curiosity, may I ask what text editor you use?
Yes, you may ask.
Off-topic:
Kedit, but not to confuse with the editor of the KDE environment, it's this here. I've started in pre windows time under msdos 3, the migration to windows went very well unlike many other dos programs. Over the years I have written a great amount of extension scripts with the builtin language, for me a reason i want to keep this for my post windows time.

freefrog
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by freefrog » 2019-07-26, 23:11

Update:
Latest Wine version seems to work with Pale Moon, no more the profile problem.

Though I noticed it still works buggy either with portable and installed:
when I manually install DVR plugins by directly copying the DLL file(s) to <PMdirectory>/Lib/Mozilla/Plugins for portable, or <PMdirectory>/browser/plugins for installed, Pale Moon simply doesn't recognize them.

Think this could be fixed, or is it just expected as well?

Thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-27, 09:28

Speculation:
I think this -may- be because plugins are executed out-of-process.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-27, 15:31

Good thing we have the ability to NOT run them out of process.

freefrog
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by freefrog » 2019-07-29, 15:14

How would that be?

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-07-29, 15:27

IIRC this is controlled by dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.