Changes to "Edit" menu

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
dragon_fly
Moongazer
Moongazer

Changes to "Edit" menu

Unread post by dragon_fly » 2019-07-07, 09:34

Hi there!

I use Palemoon with menu bar hidden (pic. 1).
When I need to go to the preferences, I press big blue button (pic. 2).
Then I move mouse pointer to the "Preferences" (pic. 3, along the red line).
But when I move it across "Edit" menu, this buggered drop-down menu appears and blocks the preferences. I end up with a pic. 4, and I need to move mouse away, wait for a second or two, then move the mouse along some curve very carefully.
Am I only one who is pretty pissed off with this?
Who actually use this "Edit" menu?
Firstly, there are ctrl-c/ctrl-v etc., secondly, you can actually put the icons on your toolbar (as I did, pic. 1), so there is no need for "Edit" menu at all.
And you can't put an icon for "Preferences" on your toolbar.

So I see several simple solutions:
1) Remove "Edit" menu from blue button, nobody will miss it anyway
2) Move it down (near "Full screen" or wherever), just away from the line between big blue button and preferences
3) Disable drop-down menu in "Edit" or make some delay on it appearance
4) Make an icon for "Preferences", so I could put it on a toolbar
Attachments
pic. 1
pic. 1
Clipboard01.png (10.02 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
pic. 2
pic. 2
Clipboard02.png (9.85 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
pic. 3
pic. 3
Clipboard03.png (10.45 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
pic. 4
pic. 4
Clipboard04.png (10.77 KiB) Viewed 1951 times

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Changes to "Edit" menu

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-07-07, 11:37

Why do you have to go in a straight line?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-07, 12:17

Any move at reasonable speed will not trigger the edit submenu. The arrows are only triggered after a delay for this very reason.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-07-07, 13:29

I just disabled the menu bar and tried the described "mousing pattern" about a dozen times in succession, moving in a straight line, but never once did it open the Edit Menu. It didn't seem easy to trigger such a problem.

dragon_fly wrote:
2019-07-07, 09:34
You could make your own using Custom Buttons

mintoyatsu
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by mintoyatsu » 2019-07-07, 18:37

Unless you are moving your cursor really, really slowly, this should never happen on a clean build of Windows.

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"MenuShowDelay"="400"
This will restore it to Microsoft's default 400ms delay. If you don't like editing the registry, your only option is to create a new user account.

dragon_fly
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by dragon_fly » 2019-07-17, 21:28

Well, I forgot to mention this, sorry. I actually have 0 ms MenuShowDelay because of the same reasons - speed.

Thanks for the CustomButtons suggestion, I may give it a try, but I already have 10 add-ons installed.

But if that won't take a lot of time and efforts from the development team, it would be nice to have a "preference button" when you customizing toolbar, along with the existing back-forward, copy-paste, zoom-controls etc.

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2019-07-18, 03:50

Can you not press the [Alt+T] key combination which will in turn bring up the 'Tools' menu? At which point you can access 'Preferences.'

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-18, 13:37

dragon_fly wrote:
2019-07-17, 21:28
Well, I forgot to mention this, sorry. I actually have 0 ms MenuShowDelay because of the same reasons - speed.
Then you are getting the exact behavior you configured your system for. Meaning you have a few solutions:
  1. Revert the delay to something that won't trigger immediately. A short delay will still be near-instant, but will allow fast mouse movement to not trigger submenus.
  2. Change your mouse movement to avoid trailing over the arrow.
  3. Tap Alt and use the classic menu.
  4. Permanently switch on the menu bar so you avoid a 2-pane menu.
  5. Use a custom button to open preferences instead.
  6. Make sure you set up the browser exactly the way you want it so you don't have to access preferences all that often.
That's off the top of my head -- there's probably more options that require a bit more setup. 8-)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dragon_fly
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by dragon_fly » 2019-08-02, 22:28

Well, that's a lot of suggestions, thank you.
It would take some time and space to explain why none of them is a solution that I would like. And I better skip that.

So, pretending it's not about this topic - would it be a futile attempt to ask you to add a button for "Preferences" here, in "customize toolbar" by a default?
Without Custom Button addon (which has a dedicated topic here called "CB broken on Firefox 48+") or other addon.
Attachments
Clipboard01.png

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2019-08-02, 23:56

dragon_fly wrote:
coffeebreak wrote:
2019-07-07, 13:29
You could make your own using Custom Buttons

Custom Buttons, if I understand it correctly, won't allow dragon_fly to remove the Edit menu item from the Pale Moon Button's menu, which I believe is what he is looking for.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-08-03, 02:07

gracious1 wrote:
2019-08-02, 23:56
Custom Buttons, if I understand it correctly, won't allow dragon_fly to remove the Edit menu item from the Pale Moon Button's menu, which I believe is what he is looking for.
No it does not.

It was suggested in response to the fourth in OP's list of 'several simple solutions' :
dragon_fly wrote:
2) Move it down (near "Full screen" or wherever), just away from the line between big blue button and preferences
3) Disable drop-down menu in "Edit" or make some delay on it appearance
[emphasis added]

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2019-08-03, 02:45

dragon_fly wrote:
You can achieve this by Menu Wizard. It doesn't remove menu options but permits you to hide them. In case you really need a previous hidden menu bottom right is a button "show all".

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-08-03, 15:06

dragon_fly wrote:
2019-08-02, 22:28
Without Custom Button addon (which has a dedicated topic here called "CB broken on Firefox 48+") or other addon.
If you're implying, based on that topic title, that there is something *wrong* with with this extension, please don't.

That "dedicated topic" is not in the Pale Moon forum btw (that's what "here" implies to me). It's a topic in the Custom Buttons forum where they worked out how to fix the extension and posted the fixed versions. Those versions work perfectly in Pale Moon 28.

Nothing says you should use Custom Buttons if you don't want to, but please don't draw conclusions from, or make inferences based on the title of that thread.

dragon_fly wrote:
You can hide those entries without an extension by adding the following to userChrome.css :

Code: Select all

.appmenu-edit-button, #appmenu-edit-label, #appmenu-editmenu {
  display: none !important;
}
If you need them, there are instructions for setting up userChrome.css in this post.

dragon_fly
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by dragon_fly » 2019-08-03, 18:05

coffeebreak wrote:
2019-08-03, 15:06
That "dedicated topic" is not in the Pale Moon forum btw (that's what "here" implies to me). It's a topic in the Custom Buttons forum where they worked out how to fix the extension and posted the fixed versions. Those versions work perfectly in Pale Moon 28.
Sorry, I didn't express myself properly - of course, I meant "linked here".
I've run through that topic quickly, and I've seen it's for ff. And I also saw stuff like this:
>Custom Buttons is already dead. Infocatcher is using raise dead magic to get the legacy extension working.
But the main reason against it is that I have 10 addons already and don't really want to install the 11th :)
karlkracher wrote:
2019-08-03, 02:45
You can achieve this by Menu Wizard.
The same here, plus I already have Menu Editor. It doesn't allow to hide menu items in the "Big Blue Button", or at least I couldn't find a way to do that.

The solution with editing userChrome.css is just fine by me, and it works as intended - I simply hid this annoying "edit menu". Too bad I haven't thought about it myself, it would save you and me a lot of trouble.
Thank you all for your input and suggestions!

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-08-03, 21:31

Glad that your problem is sorted.
A parting word below...

dragon_fly wrote:
2019-08-03, 18:05
I've run through that topic quickly, and I've seen it's for ff. And I also saw stuff like this:
>Custom Buttons is already dead. Infocatcher is using raise dead magic to get the legacy extension working.
Off-topic:
From my perspective that stuff is irrelevant.
That this (or any) extension is dead or dying for use with Firefox Quantum has nothing to do with whether it can or should be used with Pale Moon. It only matters that the extension work well with current Pale Moon.

It happens, this one does.

Pale Moon is not Firefox.