Can't click alternate images on Home Depot site

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Inquiring

Can't click alternate images on Home Depot site

Unread post by Inquiring » 2019-07-04, 01:25

On this update and the previous one, if I go to Home Depot (www.homedepot.com) and click the alternate product images on the left of a product page, nothing happens. (They should replace the main image, and videos don't work.) When this happened on the previous update, I thought someone would probably notice it and post about it, and it would be corrected in a subsequent update, but I installed 28.6 yesterday, and the HD alternate images still don't work.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Can't click alternate images on Home Depot site

Unread post by van p » 2019-07-04, 03:43

It might help if you give a specific URL to look at. At any rate I'm still on the previous version, and I can confirm what you're saying.

"When this happened on the previous update, I thought someone would probably notice it and post about it" -- As they say, if you see something, say something.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.1 x64

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2019-07-04, 05:45

It looks like Mozilla fixed this issue between 7-4-2018 and 7-5-2018. That's as much as I can narrow it down with mozregression. It seems to eventually feed me builds that don't connect to the internet.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-07-04, 11:41

URL: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nexgrill-De ... /302665529

Click the main picture of the grill, or any of the "pictures" to the left side of the grill.
A overlay should pop up displaying additional available pictures.

It does not.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2019-07-04, 12:42

Cassette wrote:
2019-07-04, 05:45
It looks like Mozilla fixed this issue between 7-4-2018 and 7-5-2018. That's as much as I can narrow it down with mozregression.
Confirmed.
Here's the pushlog:
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/ ... 0e1acdd026

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-07-04, 13:32

<frg_away> https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/ ... 07.05.2018
<frg_away> Well then esr60 is broken too. Pushlog is for 63a1 so should work from 63 and up.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-07-04, 14:00

Pushlog mentions "Windows.event"

Perhaps it is this missing standard? There is already a request on Github, but as it is marked as bounty material, so the implementation seems to be depending that someone else is adding it.
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/595

So, best option right now regarding this issue is to use a secondary browser for pages like that.

Inquiring

Unread post by Inquiring » 2019-07-04, 15:41

Sajadi wrote:
2019-07-04, 14:00
So, best option right now regarding this issue is to use a secondary browser for pages like that.
Odd that that should be necessary for a major site--and it worked before the update just prior to this one (i.e., a few weeks ago).

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-07-04, 16:29

Inquiring wrote:
2019-07-04, 15:41
Sajadi wrote:
2019-07-04, 14:00
Odd that that should be necessary for a major site--and it worked before the update just prior to this one (i.e., a few weeks ago).
Well, the web is constantly in motion, web page code is changed and modified, and it is no simple thing to go and implement so-called web-standards or drafts, may it be ECMAscript, HTML5 or CSS3 related features. This is no copy-paste job!

Big browser developers have tons of people who take care about this, you can not expect the same from small projects. But it is up to the user to find people which would be willing to help to implement stuff. You know coders? Or you are willing to look out for people who would be willing to volunteer? Point them towards this issue for example.

The good thing with Open Source is that the user can contribute in whatever for a way - and especially smaller projects are partly heavily relying on user contributions with delivering patches, or looking for people who can deliver patches. Anyway, the thing is, as long as there is nobody who is going to implement that kind of features, they will stay missing.

Inquiring

Unread post by Inquiring » 2019-07-04, 16:44

But this isn't a new feature--it worked fine a few weeks ago. Looks like something was broken on the previous update.

Also, I disagree that it's my responsibility to find coders to fix bugs I encounter.

Incidentally, the same issue may be happening on www.thedailybeast.com . At the end of any article, I get a large gray box that says "Loading," but nothing ever loads. Tried a couple of other browsers, and a video loads. (A video at the top of the page works fine in PM.) I don't really care about that, but it may be related.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-07-04, 16:52

Inquiring wrote:
2019-07-04, 16:44
But this isn't a new feature--it worked fine a few weeks ago. Looks like something was broken on the previous update.

Also, I disagree that it's my responsibility to find coders to fix bugs I encounter.

Incidentally, the same issue may be happening on www.thedailybeast.com . At the end of any article, I get a large gray box that says "Loading," but nothing ever loads. Tried a couple of other browsers, and a video loads. (A video at the top of the page works fine in PM.) I don't really care about that, but it may be related.
What works "some weeks earlier" is no guarantee that it will work some time later. As said, the web and it's standards/drafts are in motion and changes can be made by the page owner at every point in time which can or can not break certain browsers ability to show a certain page.

Also nobody forces to you to contribute. But you have to understand what is simple for mainstream browser developers is less simple for smaller projects. This is the downside of using a fork which has cut itself off from source - if you want "something which works no matter what" - you have to go and use a mainstream browser instead.

That is all what i can say to this topic.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2019-07-04, 17:00

Inquiring, I went to Daily Beast and went to the end of a few articles. I saw the Loading... message, but it was always pretty quickly replaced with something like the following:

Screenshot (40).png

I'm still on the previous version of Pale Moon, so if this thing works here but not in the newest version, then I guess that's a problem.

Inquiring

Unread post by Inquiring » 2019-07-04, 17:04

Sajadi, are you a coder on PM? If not, please stop arguing with me. It serves no constructive purpose. van p, earlier, criticized me for not mentioning this sooner. You're criticizing me for bringing it up at all. Respectfully, I think both points of view are ridiculous. I notice that on this board, someone always jumps in to criticize or moralize about posts (van p, that's one reason I hesitate to post here). I suggest sticking to the facts. I pointed out that this was broken. It seems to me that it should work, despite the web being constantly in flux. If someone can fix it, fine. If not, I'll live without it. But let's stop the endless wrangling that seems to be the hallmark of the internet these days, k?

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-07-04, 17:09

van p wrote:
2019-07-04, 17:00
I'm still on the previous version of Pale Moon, so if this thing works here but not in the newest version, then I guess that's a problem.
Does not work here with 28.6 and 28.5.2
Inquiring wrote:
2019-07-04, 17:04
You're criticizing me for bringing it up at all.
I did nothing like that. I just offered an explanation why and how. Of course, theoretically... all should work - I just mentioned that it is not that easy in reality. And why? Because nobody can be an expert in everything. If something is out of reach and nobody can fill the gap, nothing is going to happen.

Anyway - take it easy and do not try to read something out of a comment what was not said at all :wave:
Last edited by Sajadi on 2019-07-04, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2019-07-04, 17:20

Inquiring wrote:
2019-07-04, 17:04
van p, earlier, criticized me for not mentioning this sooner.
Don't know that I was criticizing, just suggesting that it makes sense to say something as soon as possible--that's it, that's all. Let's all have a great day.