DuckDuckGo Options?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
[TMac]

DuckDuckGo Options?

Unread post by [TMac] » 2019-07-03, 16:39

I already defaulted, prior to switching to Pale Moon, to DuckDuckGo, so I'm happy to continue using it, except... the query isn't quite right for me and the Search Engine dialog doesn't allow customization.

My query includes &kp=-2. This tells DuckDuckGo to not do any adult filtering. Which it gets wrong a hella lot.

Because we can't edit the search engines, I simply have to create and import a replacement. Why not pre-populate some common enhancements? (That, date ranges, etc.)

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: DuckDuckGo Options?

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-07-03, 17:02

The DDG plugin for Pale Moon does not include that parameter, last I checked. Maybe the default was changed somehow on your system? You can try restoring the default plugins to see if that fixes it. Doing so will not remove any plugins that you have added.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-07-03, 17:34

@Isengrim
I believe the problem is the opposite of what you are saying.
The default plugin doesn't have a parameter that [TMac] wants, so he/she is asking if there is a way to add it.

I don't think the default plug-in can be edited, but you can try adding a new one for DDG and edit that one.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-07-03, 18:18

Whoops, I completely go that wrong. My bad... :oops:

I believe there is an extension for editing search plugins, but I'm not sure what it is. I'm certain someone has posted about it before on the forum.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Konrad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Konrad » 2019-07-03, 18:33

Isengrim wrote:
2019-07-03, 18:18
I believe there is an extension for editing search plugins, but I'm not sure what it is.
It can be easily done with a text editor.

nicolaasjan
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by nicolaasjan » 2019-07-04, 08:32

I use the add-on "Add to Search Bar" witch can be found in the Classic Add-ons Archive.
Just customize the searchengine as you like and then right-click in the search box and hit "Add to Search Bar".
Linux Mint 20.3 Mate 64bit
Pale Moon latest

moonshiner

Unread post by moonshiner » 2019-07-04, 11:47

Alternatively you can use keyword searches. You can manually create a bookmark or simply right click in any search field and click on "Add a Keyword for this Search". It'll open a dialog window, choose a keyword and save the bookmark. This will place a %s string in the bookmark's url, in the ddg case after q=. What you type on the url bar after the keyword will replace the %s string. Edit your bookmark and add your additional parameters.