Pale Moon look terrible in Firejail

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
z18g11

Pale Moon look terrible in Firejail

Unread post by z18g11 » 2019-04-30, 11:55

I run Pale Moon browser in Firejail and it looks terrible
https://i.imgur.com/6C78oGG.png

run it with this command

Code: Select all

firejail –private=/home/user/Data/firejail /usr/bin/palemoon
How can I apply my own theme? I put gtk-2.0 and gtk-3.0 themes (Manjaro’s Breath-Dark) in
/home/user/Data/firejail/.themes

but Pale moon seems to not apply this theme.
Normally I use Plasma 5 Breeze-Dark with qtcurve.

How to combine this Firejail command with some command (kind of: GTK-theme=) to use my preferred theme in Pale moon?

Do I need to put some gtk setting file in /home/user/.config?

Pale moon is still gtk2? Correct?

At least I would like to be able use Adwaita that I have installed and set in Plasma system settings for gtk2. But I need to know what file Pale Moon reads to set theme.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Pale Moon look terrible in Firejail

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-04-30, 12:10

Don't use firejail.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-04-30, 13:15

If you insist on using firejail you'll have to set it up correctly for the browser. Please ask in the firejail-users community how to.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

z18g11

Unread post by z18g11 » 2019-05-01, 13:10

Solution:

GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0/gtkrc firejail --private=/home/user/path/ /usr/bin/palemoon

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-01, 14:04

z18g11 wrote:
2019-05-01, 13:10
Solution:

GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0/gtkrc firejail --private=/home/user/path/ /usr/bin/palemoon
That would be "If you insist solution". BTW. It still isn't recommended you run any UXP application inside of a sandbox.

pizzadude

Unread post by pizzadude » 2019-07-03, 08:31

I know I'm necroing the thread right now, but I found a fix.

sudo nano /etc/firejail/palemoon.local

paste this:

noblacklist ~/.config/Trolltech.conf
noblacklist ~/.config/gtk-3.0
noblacklist ~/.config/gtk-2.0
noblacklist ~/.config/Kvantum
noblacklist ~/.gtkrc-2.0
noblacklist ~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4
whitelist ~/.config/Trolltech.conf
whitelist ~/.config/gtk-3.0
whitelist ~/.config/gtk-2.0
whitelist ~/.config/Kvantum
whitelist ~/.gtkrc-2.0
whitelist ~/.gtkrc-2.0-kde4

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-07-03, 09:39

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-05-01, 14:04
z18g11 wrote:
2019-05-01, 13:10
Solution:

That would be "If you insist solution". BTW. It still isn't recommended you run any UXP application inside of a sandbox.
Any particular reason why not.?.Im sure users would appreciate the added security.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-03, 11:38

Moonraker wrote:
2019-07-03, 09:39
Im sure users would appreciate the added security.
Added security as compared to what? You think Pale Moon isn't secure enough to display active web pages?
The "added security" may actually be detrimental. Running Pale Moon in a sandbox won't add anything to your system security and may in fact create attack surfaces otherwise not present, depending on the sandbox. I only suggest jailing processes if they are an inherent risk to the system (like language interpreters running bare, etc.)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

pizzadude

Unread post by pizzadude » 2019-07-03, 13:53

Moonchild wrote:
2019-07-03, 11:38
Moonraker wrote:
Added security as compared to what? You think Pale Moon isn't secure enough to display active web pages?
The "added security" may actually be detrimental. Running Pale Moon in a sandbox won't add anything to your system security and may in fact create attack surfaces otherwise not present, depending on the sandbox. I only suggest jailing processes if they are an inherent risk to the system (like language interpreters running bare, etc.)
I just prefer to run all my web browsers in firejail, to restrict access in case there's a 0-day exploit.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-07-03, 16:12

Moonchild wrote:
2019-07-03, 11:38
Moonraker wrote:
Sorry moonchild i was not implying palemoon is not safe in that regard,it's just everyone seems to be into this sandboxing everything and running in virtual environments etc..Linux already has a strong sandbox and in my case on puppy linux i could run as spot if i wished.Thanks for your reply.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-03, 22:45

Moonraker wrote:
2019-07-03, 16:12
it's just everyone seems to be into this sandboxing everything and running in virtual environments
I get that -- but not every application is happy about being jailed/virtualized/sandboxed.