New app icon/logo?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.

New app icon/logo?

Poll ended at 2019-06-02, 16:13

Yes!
21%
No, it's fine.
79%

Total votes: 43

MrBrownstone

Re: New app icon/logo?

Unread post by MrBrownstone » 2019-07-02, 14:59

I dislike the new icon just enough to make this post but not enough to do anything about it. :| I guess I'll learn to love or live with it.

Lurker_01
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Lurker_01 » 2019-07-02, 15:18

I guess i will revert the branding change for my own personal build (please don't jump at me, personal only, all possible recommendations are directed to official website), really liked the blue tones more.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-02, 15:39

Lurker_01 wrote:
2019-07-02, 15:18
I guess i will revert the branding change for my own personal build (please don't jump at me, personal only, [...]
Then don't tell us about it. Maybe you should go back to just lurking...

mrnhmath
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mrnhmath » 2019-07-02, 16:52

At first when I saw the commit I didn't feel much from the new branding, but it's been growing on me a lot. Definitely an improvement!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-02, 17:01

Well now it is true to it's name.. It is a Pale.. Moon. But Pale does not mean bland.. and say what you will about any one of us.. But we aren't bland!

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-07-02, 18:41

Moonchild wrote:
2019-05-06, 19:55
we already have a design we're going forward with!
Given that Pale Moon graphics are author-rights protected, is there are any legal way to publish an extension that will return the good old icon for those who like it more than the new one?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-02, 18:43

JustOff wrote:
2019-07-02, 18:41
is there are any legal way to publish an extension that will return the good old icon for those who like it more than the new one?
Senno ecto gammat.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-07-02, 19:41

Moonchild wrote:
2019-07-02, 18:43
JustOff wrote:
is there are any legal way to publish an extension that will return the good old icon for those who like it more than the new one?
Senno ecto gammat.
I see someone has seen the sci-fi "Fifth Element" movie. If I recall, the translation is; "never without my permission".
Last edited by Night Wing on 2019-07-02, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-02, 20:55

Night Wing wrote:
2019-07-02, 19:41
I see someone has seen the sci-fi "Fifth Element" movie. If I recall, the translatioln is; "never without my permission".
You sir, are correct.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2019-07-03, 00:24

Moonchild wrote:
JustOff wrote:
Senno ecto gammat.
I've been using the Pale Moon logo with overlays in two exensions: Palesomething and Fierr. The former has a fox's face on the moon, the latter has an warning logo in the top corner of the logo, and a big ol moon behind the network error message... Is that safe use under "directly refer[ring] to the browser" or should I be using my own images and tints of the moon now that it's more of an artistic logo than a colorized photograph? And if it is fair use, any chance I can get a 500+sqpx copy for the updated background image? Please? :angel: The exe icon only has up to 256 this time.

Oh, I also use CSS to grayscale/tint the Pale Moon Start Page's moon in my Themes (I use a different shot of the moon for the theme's actual icons than the PM logo was - one that looked better in grayscale) if you use the Home Styler extension.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-03, 00:55

RealityRipple wrote:
2019-07-03, 00:24
Is that safe use under "directly refer[ring] to the browser" or should I be using my own images
See the branding page. In short: no, it's not allowed to overlay anything over it, to use it for your own purposes, or to display it in anything but its original colors even if you use it to refer to the browser directly with it.
It's not "fair use" what you've done, sorry.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2019-07-03, 01:03

Moonchild wrote:
2019-07-03, 00:55
RealityRipple wrote:
2019-07-03, 00:24
Is that safe use under "directly refer[ring] to the browser" or should I be using my own images
See the branding page. In short: no, it's not allowed to overlay anything over it, to use it for your own purposes, or to display it in anything but its original colors even if you use it to refer to the browser directly with it.
It's not "fair use" what you've done, sorry.
How dissimilar will my own icon have to be to count as different? Just not the same image, or should I stay away from pastel/cartoonify filters entirely?

On a more serious note, does the about image count as branding, too? I did this for the "Bloodmoon Edition" of my theme:

I tried sticking in my own shot of the moon but it completely ruined the effect I was going for. Can I leave it as is or do I have to choose between my own image from scratch and the default?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-03, 02:03

Will you people stop.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2019-07-03, 02:57

Ah, I noticed the icon for Pale Moon got changed to a milky marble for some reason. Was wondering if I was just imagining that it had changed, but it looks like it really did and I'm not going crazy. It's an interesting design, it makes me think of this white marble sphere I purchased recently, or one of those milky marbles I used to play with as a kid.

https://www.cb2.com/white-marble-sphere/s488643

I think it looks nice, especially on a black or blue background.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-07-03, 02:58

We are tweaking the 16x16 icon.. See: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22425&p=169947#p169947

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-03, 04:25

Stop mangling the artwork.

As much as using the logo can be fair use under the right circumstances, any other copyrighted artwork can't be used in any way by anyone but those with rights to it.
That means it also Excludes rights to using "comic" or other filters to alter it. Remove the altered version.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2019-07-03, 04:55

Moonchild wrote:
2019-07-03, 04:25
Stop mangling the artwork.

As much as using the logo can be fair use under the right circumstances, any other copyrighted artwork can't be used in any way by anyone but those with rights to it.
That means it also Excludes rights to using "comic" or other filters to alter it. Remove the altered version.
It wasn't ever put into a released build.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-03, 09:11

RealityRipple wrote:
2019-07-03, 04:55
It wasn't ever put into a released build.
Maybe not but you did put it up in a public repo.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-07-03, 11:13

Moonchild wrote:
JustOff wrote:
Senno ecto gammat.
This is beyond a shadow of a doubt. The question is, will you be so kind as to give this permission, perhaps under some special conditions?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-03, 11:27

JustOff wrote:
2019-07-03, 11:13
The question is, will you be so kind as to give this permission, perhaps under some special conditions?
I'll think about it. For the moment the answer is, however, a "no", because I want to avoid mixed branding, whether it is through an extension or otherwise, especially in the transitional period.

If people really can't deal with it then there is the icon override option for local installations that is mentioned elsewhere on the forum which would be the designated way to do this.