JRE on Ubuntu

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
siil-it

JRE on Ubuntu

Unread post by siil-it » 2019-06-28, 09:39

We are trialing Ubuntu 18.04 LTS as a replacement for some windows 7 systems that the boss doesn't want to replace yet. One of the requirements is that we need a specific version of Java RE working as we have an Oracle app.

After a bit of time searching, I ended up here and installed this browser along with openjdk-8-jre:i386. I went to make the link in the plugins folder but was unable to find libnpjp2.so in the install. I was then given the appropriate tar file by my software devs and followed the procedure here in the bottom 1/3 of the post

The jre is in /opt and working

Code: Select all

java version "1.8.0_211"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_211-b12)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 25.211-b12, mixed mode)
Also ran the Java control panel and changed the settings to add the Oracle App url to the Exceptions site list and changed the default browser to pale moon. I've added the link into the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins folder but I'm not seeing the plugin available in the browser after a browser restart.

Anyone give me a clue as to how to get this working?

JesusOfSuburbia
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: JRE on Ubuntu

Unread post by JesusOfSuburbia » 2019-06-28, 10:44

You might want to check out the IcedTea Web plugin. It is the OpenJDK equivalent to Oracle's Java Browser plugin. It should be in the package 'icedtea-plugin'.
Such is life.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2019-06-28, 21:00

Also of interest is why they had you specify the 32-bit version of JRE. If you installed the 32-bit version of Ubuntu, you don't have to specify that or the version of the icedtea-plugin, and if you have the 64-bit version and 64-bit Pale Moon, you'll need the 64-bit icedtea plugin.

siil-it

Unread post by siil-it » 2019-06-30, 06:57

stevepusser wrote:
2019-06-28, 21:00
Also of interest is why they had you specify the 32-bit version of JRE. If you installed the 32-bit version of Ubuntu, you don't have to specify that or the version of the icedtea-plugin, and if you have the 64-bit version and 64-bit Pale Moon, you'll need the 64-bit icedtea plugin.
The particular oracle app we are using is very old and works best on the 32bit Java. We are due a major rebuild of the app soon as we're migrating off Solaris on to Linux so the new version will be 64bit.
JesusOfSuburbia wrote:
2019-06-28, 10:44
You might want to check out the IcedTea Web plugin. It is the OpenJDK equivalent to Oracle's Java Browser plugin. It should be in the package 'icedtea-plugin'.
Thanks for that, I will give it a try

siil-it

Unread post by siil-it » 2019-06-30, 08:47

I've installed openjdk-8-jre openjdk-8-jre-headless icedtea-8-plugin

I ran update-alternatives --config java and selected java 8 which is giving me

Code: Select all

java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_212"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_212-8u212-b03-0ubuntu1.18.04.1-b03)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.212-b03, mixed mode)
I went into IcedTea Web Control Panel & set the JVM to /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/ which validated

Everything I read tells me I now need to create the symbolic link to libnpjp2.so in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins except I can't find the file within the JVM folders?

Is there something I need to run in java/icedtea to generate that file or should I be creating a symlink to a different file?

siil-it

Unread post by siil-it » 2019-06-30, 09:24

Ok, I manually copied the missing so file from the tar file and I now have a the java appearing in the plugins!

The bleeding oracle isn't working with the 64bit java so I'm going to need to look at trying the 32bit install instead ffs!