Cannot restore tabs from sessionstore, tried removing ],"selectedWindow":0,"_closedWindows":[ but it's not there

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
LegitimateGrapes

Cannot restore tabs from sessionstore, tried removing ],"selectedWindow":0,"_closedWindows":[ but it's not there

Unread post by LegitimateGrapes » 2019-06-27, 03:54

I had an improper shutdown, and when I started Palemoon, I got a clean tab instead of restore tabs. Usually when this happens, I just have to open sessionstore.bak and remove ],"selectedWindow":0,"_closedWindows":[, but this time, this part isn't in the first line of the file.

Right now the first portion of my sessionstore.bak is

{"windows":[{"tabs":[{"entries":[{"url":"about:sessionrestore","title":"Restore Session","ID":0,"docshellID":0,"docIdentifier":0,"formdata":{"id":{"sessionData":{"windows":[{"tabs":[{"entries":[{"url":

This is supposed to be the correct starter to show the session restore page, but right now I can get nothing out of it. Has something changed since the last update?

Is there anything else I should look at?

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Cannot restore tabs from sessionstore, tried removing ],"selectedWindow":0,"_closedWindows":[ but it's not there

Unread post by therube » 2019-06-27, 15:40

(Make sure you have backups of your sessionstore.* files.)

I got a clean tab instead of restore tabs. Usually when this happens...
Assuming you have a good copy of sessionstore.js, History | Restore Previous Session.

On my end, I'm not particularly into hacking sessionstore.js (& expecting to get a usable file out of it).

Why not just rename sessionstore.bak to sessionstore.js & see if that will open - without making any changes?

(Working from backups, or even in a new, clean Profile & copying in the sessionstore.js file, where if you screw up too bad is probably a good idea.)

LegitimateGrapes

Re: Cannot restore tabs from sessionstore, tried removing ],"selectedWindow":0,"_closedWindows":[ but it's not there

Unread post by LegitimateGrapes » 2019-06-27, 17:23

therube wrote:
2019-06-27, 15:40
Assuming you have a good copy of sessionstore.js, History | Restore Previous Session.

Why not just rename sessionstore.bak to sessionstore.js & see if that will open - without making any changes?
Tried both. Neither did anything.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-06-28, 10:06

See if this is able to at least parse your files:

Session History Scrounger for Firefox
https://www.jeffersonscher.com/ffu/scrounger.html

LegitimateGrapes

Unread post by LegitimateGrapes » 2019-06-30, 10:24

I found out my sessionstore got corrupted from the power loss, 90% of the file was just gibberish. Looks like I have to move on.