Pale Moon very suddenly closes (Windows 10 & Pale Moon fully updated)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ThinkingMonkey

Pale Moon very suddenly closes (Windows 10 & Pale Moon fully updated)

Unread post by ThinkingMonkey » 2019-06-24, 18:45

Hi all,

Although I saw many posts about crashes for various reasons posted here, I wanted to post this separately so as not to just me saying "me too" on someone else's post.

Just now, starting about 15 minutes ago, Pale Moon has suddenly closed 3 times with no warning whatsoever. No freezing, no error messages, no error messages from Windows that an application had failed, nothing. Just closed exactly as if you closed it with the Close button (big white X).

I checked that Windows and Pale Moon are fully updated and they are. I have not added any extensions or add-ons and the current Pale Moon instance that I have is a new download and install. The Windows 10 is also a fresh install and the previous one, which was about two years old and was beginning to show quirky behavior occasionally, had Pale Moon installed which I had used for months and never once, ever, did this error happen.

The main reason I'm posting is that I have no idea where to look for Pale Moon error logs or anything that I may post here to give someone an idea of what the situation is that is causing this.

So for starters, that's where I stand with this problem, Pale Moon is just closing unexpectedly for no reason I can currently ascertain.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon very suddenly closes (Windows 10 & Pale Moon fully updated)

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-25, 10:59

Just closing like that without an error message or crash window is called "Crash to desktop" or CTD for short. Unfortunately they are notoriously difficult to troubleshoot, and will require some way to reproduce reliably to know where to begin looking.

Are there any specific actions you performed when it closed? Any specific page you visited? What were you doing at the time?

Also, please include the output of Help -> troubleshooting information (use "copy text to clipboard" button) so we know your environment and prefs/extensions.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite