Any way to manage different PM profiles on the same OS profile?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ChelonianEgghead

Any way to manage different PM profiles on the same OS profile?

Unread post by ChelonianEgghead » 2019-06-23, 04:18

Basically, I'd like to have a different profile from my main one so I'm only signed in to Google on the secondary one. Is there a feature or add-on that will allow that?

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Any way to manage different PM profiles on the same OS profile?

Unread post by doofy » 2019-06-23, 04:37

ChelonianEgghead wrote:
2019-06-23, 04:18
Basically, I'd like to have a different profile from my main one so I'm only signed in to Google on the secondary one. Is there a feature or add-on that will allow that?
I'd use PM portable for this. You can run it alongside your primary install.

But - and it's a big but - I'd question what you are trying to achieve.
Last I saw - Google analytics runs on about 60% of web sites, so Google will be cross referencing IP's between primary install and portable.

So your primary install will need to be shutting down GA as best you can.

Really - if you want to avoid Google, then don't use their products. Signing in certainly helps them; not signing in probably don't hinder them too much.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2019-06-23, 09:15

There is a way. You can either change your shortcut for Pale Moon to launch the profile manager or create a new shortcut for Pale Moon that you use just when you want to launch the profile manager. Right click your Pale Moon shortcut, click "Properties", add to the end of the Target line a space followed by -p so your shortcut so it would change from something like

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Pale Moon\palemoon.exe" 
to

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Pale Moon\palemoon.exe" -p

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-23, 10:58

Much simpler for multiple profiles is to go to about:profiles and create a new profile there. No need to mangle the shortcut.
If you do, however, want to be given the choice every time the browser is started, then you'll have to at least once run palemoon.exe with the -p parameter and uncheck the opetion to start with the selected profile without asking -- after that, the profile manager window will always open upon start.
See also: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... x-profiles
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ChelonianEgghead

Unread post by ChelonianEgghead » 2019-06-24, 04:38

My best bet would be using a VPN I guess, but the only thing I use Google for is YouTube and Hangouts. Chatting in Hangouts would probably be fine, but video calling or watching YouTube on a VPN would probably be pretty slow. May be the best option would be to use a VPN for everything except Google. Thoughts?

[EDIT:] On second thought, maybe I'd be better off doing both from an old Android used for that and very little else online. That would really help because at the moment I don't really have cash to burn on a good VPN, and honestly, "serious" browsing on mobile is such a pain that I do it too little for Google to collect much browsing data from me (all it really is is sites like Android Authority and the Android Stack Exchange), so I have the whole separate IP address thing by simply using a different device.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2019-06-24, 05:00

ChelonianEgghead wrote:
2019-06-24, 04:38
so I have the whole separate IP address thing by simply using a different device.
You reckon? Test it.

Anyways - consider Hooktube in place of youtube.

ChelonianEgghead

Unread post by ChelonianEgghead » 2019-06-24, 06:06

As in, I'll just use the Android for YouTube and Hangouts, and do everything else on the PC.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2019-06-24, 06:10

ChelonianEgghead wrote:
2019-06-24, 06:06
As in, I'll just use the Android for YouTube and Hangouts, and do everything else on the PC.
So the Android device is using mobile data and is not connecting through the same router as the PC?