Need Theme Location/Folder/Files in PM Portable

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
BobbyW
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Need Theme Location/Folder/Files in PM Portable

Unread post by BobbyW » 2019-06-21, 11:58

I just found an older (probably within last 2 to 5 years) Profile Backup. For fun I decided to take a stroll down memory lane, so I made a new folder, & added the User Folder with the profile, & the Palemoon-Portable.ini from my Backups into it.

To make absolutely sure nothing got corrupted/overwritten in my old backup, I changed/renamed the User folder name to UserXXX & the Palemoon-Portable.ini file to Palemoon-Portable.iniXXX

Then I took my downloaded copy of the latest Portable PM 64 bit version Palemoon-Portable-28.5.2.win64.exe & ran it to that new folder that had the UserXXX & the Palemoon-Portable.iniXXX in it.

When it was finished, I went to that folder & ran the new version exe file to open the browser for the first time.

Once the new browser opened, I closed it.

All I wanted it to do was create a brand new portable install, complete with .ini file & User folder containing a new pristine profile. Most importantly all the other folders & files were created too in the new install.

Now I went into that folder, & deleted the new .ini file, & the new User Folder.....I didn't need them for anything.

This left the UserXXX & the Palemoon-Portable.iniXXX in the folder with all the new installed other folders & their various files.

I removed the XXX off the UserXXX Folder & the XXX off the Palemoon-Portable.iniXXX file.

Then the fun part, I ran the browsers exe file, & the old backup profile opened......everything there, & verified ok.

JFYI, this is exactly how I restore a backed-up profile into a portable folder if the need ever presents itself.

I opened my add-on Manager, & looked in my Themes. There were over 15 Themes in there, of which 2 were incompatible. The others included 4 of my old Personas I creates years ago, & thought were gone forever when Mozilla did it's wipe.

I went through all my Personas & the other themes I had at the time I was using the profile, & they all worked!!

Here's what I need....Naturally I have no way of getting them from Mozilla ever again.....they've been wiped, & the others, AFAIK they were wiped too.....

Where can I get them from within this Profile.....they must be in there somewhere, because they certainly aren't being loaded off any Mozilla site....

I want to archive them - the actual theme files, so I never lose them again......especially my own creations....my personas.

Thank you for the time & effort, not to mention all the boring crap I just had you read, but I had to recreate exactly what I did, so you would have a perfect, complete picture of what I found so you can describe to me exactly how I will need to go about to recover these gems......maybe even use them in future browser version.....even Basilisk (which I really, really like so far!!).

Thanks again...I'll shut my face & leave the rest up to you pro's..........Image .....Bobby :coffee:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Need Theme Location/Folder/Files in PM Portable

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-21, 14:26

So, to condense it down for the people who know what this is about: OP is asking how to save/export lightweight themes that are still cached in the browser cache and/or still available resources online.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-06-21, 14:28

That is extremely difficult.. by design. Lightweight themes are more of a service than a theme, rather transient. Not that it can't be done.. maybe... But not worth my time to look into.

I do wish you luck.

Frasier
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Frasier » 2019-06-21, 19:00

How about using the Pale Moon - Add-ons - FEBE extension? It works with the portable Pale Moon. Might be overkill but it gets the job done.
FEBE2_Restore_Options.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-06-21, 21:42

Well yeah if that extension can do it.. But manually? Forget about it.