pale moon vs firefox extensions

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
ForestElf

pale moon vs firefox extensions

Unread post by ForestElf » 2019-06-19, 12:28

Greetings,

I am curious about something. How is it that Pale Moon will not install or accept extensions or themes etc. from FireFox? I have tried to get those you do not have and Pale Moon will not accept them. It would seem to me that might be a good idea but then, I do not know the reason why you do not have it that way??? They have some beautiful themes and security items that all could use if they so wanted. Have you considered it?

Anyway, while this does disturb me, I am staying with Pale Moon as I can not stand going through the set up again with these many browsers. It is a pain in the butt. Besides I like Pale Moon.. :) I am too old now to even to consider another browser.... (72)

Thank you

ForestElf (Ivan)

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: pale moon vs firefox extensions

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-06-19, 13:21

Pale Moon will not run "modern" Firefox extensions because the extension frameworks that the browsers now use are incompatible. Firefox currently uses Web Extensions, while Pale Moon only supports XUL-style extensions, and will not support Web Extensions for a number of reasons.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-06-19, 13:49

If your trying to get add-ons at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/ then they wont work in PM.
Install the Classic Addons Archive 2.0.1:
https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/releases

Or see here:
http://legacycollector.org/firefox-addons/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2019-06-19, 20:40

Also see here - viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8740 and viewtopic.php?t=11385 - Pale Moon is not Firefox

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

ForestElf

Unread post by ForestElf » 2019-06-20, 12:02

OK then so be it. I suppose I can understand it. Your right, Pale Moon is not FireFox and that I am sure is a good thing. I came here from Firefox and I see no reason to go back to it.

Thank you for your kind answer. I just been browsing through all the questions and problems people are having, while I have had none at all I would go nuts trying to please them all, the question is, your trying, but can that be done.... ;)

Ivan

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-06-20, 12:27

Falna wrote:
2019-06-19, 20:40
Pale Moon is not Firefox
... and never will be again :thumbup:

This is the post that should be used as it obsoletes the older ones viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19727