Malware spoofing microsoft hit while using Facebook

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
broomsticks

Malware spoofing microsoft hit while using Facebook

Unread post by broomsticks » 2019-06-14, 18:09

I want to post some kind of warning-alert for an event I just experienced but don't know where to go.

While using Facebook, I clicked on an article about healthful recipes to open in a new tab.
There were two overlapping windows in the center of the page which I could not close without clicking the Cancel button on the top most dialog box.
The main page background looked like a Microsoft support page.
The message boxes referred to some type of unusual behavior.
I did not really read any of it because I knew it was fake and malicious.
I could not close that tab.

I'm using version 28.5.2 (64 bit) with MX Linux 18.3 and Mint 19.1
I was using MX Linux at the time of the attack.
uBlock Origin was deactivated for Facebook. Don't know why I did that.
The firewall is activated, but no special settings.
I do not use any antivirus with Linux.

Since I have the browser set to start with the previous session tabs, the restart just went to the same page.
I deleted the sessionstore.js file and also the backup.
Also deleted the last (2) saved sessions for Session Manager add-on.

Here are the two addresses from Pale Moon history:

Code: Select all

Name: Microsoft Official Support
Location: http://web-mc53374.xyz/Call-for-Security-Issues1-888-351-4222/call-now2/

Name: Official Support Center
Location: http://web-mc53374.xyz/Call-for-Security-Issues1-888-351-4222/
How should this be reported?
What can be done to block or prevent this type of attack?
Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Malware spoofing microsoft hit while using Facebook

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-06-14, 20:32

broomsticks wrote:
2019-06-14, 18:09
How should this be reported?
Probably it should be reported to whoever is leasing the server, but it's probably some company that doesn't care about preventing phising.
broomsticks wrote:
Block as many scripts as possible and don't click anything but the button to close the tab/window.
broomsticks wrote:
Do you have any suggestions?
Block as many scripts as possible and don't click anything but the button to close the tab/window.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-14, 21:41

broomsticks wrote:
Unfortunately, because the page/site has already been taken down by the responsible host, I can't analyze the type of attack.
Pale Moon already has mitigations against sites spawning repeat dialogs, including abusing auth dialogs (but you have to cancel them 3 times). Without a working proof of concept/attack site, I can't see which kind of attack it was and/or if it needed more attention on our side or not.
vannilla wrote:
2019-06-14, 20:32
If you want this user to have a totally unusable internet, then suggest something like that. I'm surprised you didn't just suggest to flat-out disable JavaScript altogether...

No, I don't recommend this course of action, myself. But broomsticks can make up their own mind what to do.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-06-14, 21:54

Moonchild wrote:
2019-06-14, 21:41
If you want this user to have a totally unusable internet, then suggest something like that. I'm surprised you didn't just suggest to flat-out disable JavaScript altogether...
I'm well aware that disabling even the tiniest script makes the majority of the web a blank page, and I'll never suggest completely disabling javascript. At best, I'd suggest a content blocker.
Though since broomsticks is using uBlock, I assume something was being blocked already.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-14, 22:19

You said "Block as many scripts as possible" -- don't be snarky about me advising against THAT.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

broomsticks

Unread post by broomsticks » 2019-06-15, 01:55

vannilla wrote:
2019-06-14, 20:32
I use the Tab Mix Plus extension https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/tab-mix-plus/ and did not have
display Close tab button enabled. I have now enabled that.
Tab Mix Plus is configured to close tab on double-click, but that did not work.
Ctrl+W also did not work.

Moonchild wrote:
Unfortunately, because the page/site has already been taken down by the responsible host, I can't analyze the type of attack.
Thanks, Moonchild.
That's good to know.
I certainly did not want to try checking the site myself.
Moonchild wrote:
Pale Moon already has mitigations against sites spawning repeat dialogs, including abusing auth dialogs (but you have to cancel them 3 times). Without a working proof of concept/attack site, I can't see which kind of attack it was and/or if it needed more attention on our side or not.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.