Which extensions to download YouTube videos currently work?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Which extensions to download YouTube videos currently work?

Unread post by Cassette » 2019-06-10, 19:21

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-06-10, 18:32
More illegal discussion.
I don't see anything illegal. For all you know all they're downloading are public domain videos. Unless specific copyrighted material is mentioned, why assume?

Potkeny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Potkeny » 2019-06-10, 19:34

Cassette wrote:
2019-06-10, 19:21
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-06-10, 18:32
More illegal discussion.
I don't see anything illegal. For all you know all they're downloading are public domain videos. Unless specific copyrighted material is mentioned, why assume?
Off-topic:
The same reason here one has to pay "copyright-tax" on every external storage (hdd, flash, cd, dvd, etc.), even if in theory you could put your own photos there, somehow they assume you'll pirate music/video, so they built in taxes... you can get that money back if you're a professional "creator", but it's paperwork, which most will probably not bother doing..

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2019-06-11, 12:53

even on youtube itself, there are videos and links about how to download yt vids...
just go there and type 'How To Legally Download youtube' :)

PM me for more..
VM 300Mbs in london england :lol: :coffee: on Intel Core I7 3GHz on Gigabyte X58a.
PM 32.4.1(64bit) on win7(64bit) sp1 - does ytoobe better than FF!! 8-) :lol: :P
Got 24Gig, Nvidia GTX 1060 :D dont need 4k - not rich, not gamer, newer GPUs only for $$$ peeps
:eh: useragentstring(com) :problem: FF 115.3.1 :angel: :P

Thinkerbell
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Thinkerbell » 2019-06-12, 17:49

Since a few days I don't get any mp4 files from Youtube, only webm or mkv. Does anyone have the same problem?

My preferred downloader is Complete YouTube Saver, since it is fast and offers many formats. But that doesn't download anything at all since a few days. And with Ant.com Video Downloader I only get webm and mkv, no mp4.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-06-12, 18:12

With the exception of 360p and (not always) 720p videos YouTube stores and serves audio and video streams separately. Not all combinations of audio and video streams can be muxed in a MPEG-4 Part 14 container. For example, if your download utility decides that it wants to download a MPEG-4 Part 10 video stream and an Opus audio stream it will not be able to save both streams in a MPEG-4 Part 14 container, but it will be able to save those streams in a Matroska container. The Matroska-based WebM container supports VP8/VP9/AV1 video streams and Opus/Vorbis audio streams.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-06-12, 21:57

youtube-dl takes care of all that automatically, by selecting by default the best available quality. If MP4 is enough, then MP4 it is. If MKV is required for the best possible combination, then it will be muxed to MKV (not transcoded). The user is free to make custom selections, but default=best, and it makes perfect sense to be honest.

Thinkerbell
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Thinkerbell » 2019-06-12, 23:49

Thanks. I didn't know that. Very interesting. But that wasn't my question.

In Complete YouTube Saver I was able to select between different formats, and in 95% of all videos it was able to get mp4 (which is my preference). When this didn't work I used Ant.com Downloader, which either gave me webm or mp4. But since 2 days I don't get any mp4, neither from Complete YouTube Saver nor from Ant.com Downloader. And Complete YouTube Saver does not load any of the formats with video and sound combined anymore. And Ant.com suddenly loads lots of mkv files, whicht it didn't do before.

Has anything changed in YouTube? Does anyone have the same problems?

dalek

Unread post by dalek » 2019-06-13, 05:39

back2themoon wrote:
2019-06-12, 21:57
youtube-dl takes care of all that automatically, by selecting by default the best available quality. If MP4 is enough, then MP4 it is. If MKV is required for the best possible combination, then it will be muxed to MKV (not transcoded). The user is free to make custom selections, but default=best, and it makes perfect sense to be honest.
:D
'Perfect. The weaponry is perfect. Now we can begin.'
Thank you

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-06-13, 06:31

Thinkerbell wrote:
2019-06-12, 23:49
But that wasn't my question.
Looks like I forgot to write a part of my reply. AFAIK YouTube did not change anything, but keep in mind that not all YouTube videos have high quality (720p) audio-and-video in MPEG-4 Part 14 container streams available.

Thinkerbell
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Thinkerbell » 2019-06-13, 11:51

yami_ wrote:
2019-06-13, 06:31
Thinkerbell wrote:
2019-06-12, 23:49
But that wasn't my question.
Looks like I forgot to write a part of my reply. AFAIK YouTube did not change anything, but keep in mind that not all YouTube videos have high quality (720p) audio-and-video in MPEG-4 Part 14 container streams available.
I've always selected SD quality, so the files wouldn't get that big.

There was occassionally an odd video that didn't download in mp4. But since 11 June no video does. And that's really odd.

Thinkerbell
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Thinkerbell » 2019-06-13, 12:39

I have updated the Complete Youtube Download Saver, and now it doesn't even find the YourTube videos anymore.

And the CYS website has a card that says:
CYS Audio/Video Downloader
Free Downloader for Firefox, Sea Monkey, and Pale Moon
Update Dec 2018: CYS has been removed from the AMO site as legacy add-ons are no longer compatible with current versions of Firefox. CYS has not been abandoned. We are rewriting the code from scratch, for all three browsers. We will be back soon with a new and improved version. Continue to CYS website here.
We are not responding to tech support emails at this time.
Check back here for the latest news.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-06-13, 13:13

Complete YouTube Saver Pale Moon add-on page wrote:Updated on April 9, 2017
YouTube did make some significant changes after this date. I am actually surprised that an older version worked at all.
Thinkerbell wrote:
2019-06-13, 11:51
If you only care about 360p or 720p you do not need any video downloading utility.

Thinkerbell
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Thinkerbell » 2019-06-13, 22:59

yami_ wrote:
2019-06-13, 13:13
Complete YouTube Saver Pale Moon add-on page wrote:Updated on April 9, 2017
YouTube did make some significant changes after this date. I am actually surprised that an older version worked at all.
Thinkerbell wrote:
2019-06-13, 11:51
If you only care about 360p or 720p you do not need any video downloading utility.
Thanks!! But this doesn't work either. I get a menu with "save video as..." but when I click it nothing happens.

The old version of CYS was working perfecty until 11 June. After that all files it downloaded were 0 kB.

I also have Flash Video Downloader and FlashGot downloader, and only download 0kb files since 11 June.

Currently only the Ant Downloader works, but I do get these file types that don't play on my TV receiver and wich don't show the length of the video in File Manger.

firefoxed

Unread post by firefoxed » 2019-06-14, 10:57

For many years, I hated the idea of paying for software to take care of YT downloads and refused to even look at it. So I really understand if some of you are feeling that way.

But, and I know I'm repeating myself here, I couldn't be happier since shelling out for 4K Video Downloader. It lets me choose the resolution. There are also options to download a whole playlist etc.

Yes, it would be better if it worked with more sites.

Thinkerbell
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Thinkerbell » 2019-06-14, 11:22

I have a downloader that I payed for, but you have to copy and paste links into it, and that is too tedious for YT videos. I'm downloading lots of videos from Youtube, and it is much more convenient to have the downloader built in the browser and just click a button.
And I don't like this functionality some of those downloaders have of just catching every video and downloading it in several resolutions. This gets me too much that I don't want.
JDownloader can download complete playlists too, but I can't chose the resolution and italso downloads all other files oof the playlist, like pictures and mp3 files.

This is a forum for Pale Moon add-ons, that's why I came here. Isn't anyone concerned that these add-ons are not working anymore since 11 June?

I'm really thinking about going back to Firefox. The main reason that I switched to Pale Moon was that my add-ons were not working on the new firefox. But now that there is a decent amount of add-ons I may just check if those that are important to me are available. The problem is, I don't have time for that. The last migration took me several days or weeks..

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-06-14, 11:29

Thinkerbell wrote:
2019-06-13, 22:59
But this doesn't work either. I get a menu with "save video as..." but when I click it nothing happens.
Weird, it does work for me.

Thinkerbell
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Thinkerbell » 2019-06-16, 12:28

That's really strange.

illiad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by illiad » 2019-07-06, 10:18

thinkerbell, I have been using the same addon for ages, ant it still works fine with all, even youtube .. yes, free!!, and even installs and configs the ffmpeg for you...

ah, one thing may matter, most yt vids are now 'webm' format.. It seems to play on the win7 WMplayer, though you may need to get a codec..

https://www.codecguide.com/about_kl.htm
VM 300Mbs in london england :lol: :coffee: on Intel Core I7 3GHz on Gigabyte X58a.
PM 32.4.1(64bit) on win7(64bit) sp1 - does ytoobe better than FF!! 8-) :lol: :P
Got 24Gig, Nvidia GTX 1060 :D dont need 4k - not rich, not gamer, newer GPUs only for $$$ peeps
:eh: useragentstring(com) :problem: FF 115.3.1 :angel: :P

Thinkerbell
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Thinkerbell » 2019-07-06, 22:35

Thanks for your feedback, illiad!

I currently download with the Ant.com video downloader and get webm and mkv files. They play on my VLC player but not on the receivers of any of my of my TVs.
And they don't show the lengths of the video in the Windows file manger.
So, I'm not really happy with them.

With Complete Youtube Saver I used to get mp4, even when Ant only had webm files in the past. But it still doesn't work.

I have some downloaders that still get mp4 files, but they are no add-ons to Pale Mojon and they require to copy the link - which makes averything very tedious, so I hardly ever use them. JDownloader is good for downloading complete watch lists in one go. But it catches a lot of other files from the website and creates a folder for every file. And it downloads the highest quality, which sometimes crashes my video card when I play them. So it is not convenient for everyday downloads.

I also managed to get mp4 with disabling MSE and right-clicking, but it doesn't catch the name of the video, so that's too time-consuming for everyday use as well. But there seems to be a way of catching mp4 files from YouTube, only the Pale Moon add-ons don't catch them anymore.

So I have the choice between time-consuming downloads and getting a shitty video formats.

Besides, currently Pale Moon keeps crashing when I open videos on YouTube, or I get encoding errors for the videos. Not every time, but usually when it's been running for a few hours or when I open several videos to download them.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-07-07, 09:37

Thinkerbell wrote:
2019-07-06, 22:35
and get webm and mkv files. They play on my VLC player but not on the receivers of any of my of my TVs.
I have Samsung, LG, and TCL TVs and all play MKV files just fine. Never tried a webm.

"Internet Download Manager" now supports PM.
Or try this:
https://www.wisevideosuite.com/wisevideodownloader.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda