I accidentally deleted basic "MozillaAddons" (plugins) like Adobe Flash from Pale Moon when going through the registry

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

I accidentally deleted basic "MozillaAddons" (plugins) like Adobe Flash from Pale Moon when going through the registry

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-06-08, 10:12

I know, I know. I'm an idiot. But, listen: I have a lot of junk in my registry that I really need to get rid of, so... yeah.

Does anyone know how I can get Flash and anything like that that came with Pale Moon back?
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: I accidentally deleted basic "MozillaAddons" (plugins) like Adobe Flash from Pale Moon when going through the regist

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-06-08, 11:16

Flash does not automatically come pre-installed with Pale Moon. If you want Flash back, you'll have to go to the Adobe site, then download and install Flash in whatever operating system you're using.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: I accidentally deleted basic "MozillaAddons" (plugins) like Adobe Flash from Pale Moon when going through the regist

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-06-08, 12:28

Night Wing wrote:
2019-06-08, 11:16
Flash does not automatically come pre-installed with Pale Moon.
It was so long ago that I first added it onto Pale Moon that I forgot that that was the case. Thanks for reminding me.
Night Wing wrote:
2019-06-08, 11:16
If you want Flash back, you'll have to go to the Adobe site, then download and install Flash in whatever operating system you're using.
I managed to find the installer after some searching, but the standard link that Adobe provides does not display the big download button on the page that one downloads Adobe Flash from.

Someone reported this problem happening with Firefox as well, so I don't know if there is something going on with that or not.

Anyway, thanks. I'll be more careful next time, obviously.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-08, 12:50

System-installed plugins are picked up from the registry if they are not in a designated plugins folder. If you removed those registry entries then yes, the only way to get it back as a plugin would be to restore the entries in the registry (which the plugin installer will do for you).

I'm not really sure why you'd manually delete things in the registry though. For the future, please use a designated maintenance tool that does this for you so you don't inadvertently remove other things that might be essential -- you could even break the OS if you're not careful.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-06-08, 13:42

Moonchild wrote:
2019-06-08, 12:50
I'm not really sure why you'd manually delete things in the registry though.
I'm going to do my (first) system image backup soon. I purchased a backup drive with more than enough space (multiple terrabytes, whereas my C drive is fewer than 600 GB) recently, and want to make a good system image backup. All of the junk that has accumulated over the past decade (and I haven't used a registry cleaner since Norton 360's many years ago), particularly stuff that I'd rather not still have on my computer, won't go anywhere if I don't find some way to get rid of it.
Moonchild wrote:
2019-06-08, 12:50
For the future, please use a designated maintenance tool that does this for you so you don't inadvertently remove other things that might be essential -- you could even break the OS if you're not careful.
I know. I'm trying to be quite careful. This was the only thing where I messed up slightly.

I asked if anyone knew of a(n) (at least fairly) trustworthy registry cleaner in another thread, but no one suggested any. I would guess that that has to do with the fact that anyone would be hesitant about recommending a registry cleaner, because of what a registry cleaner is literally. Even I understand that an automated program can make mistakes, and that when it comes to the registry, one doesn't want to be making mistakes.

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't edit the registry at all. I don't like to, and I'd much rather never have to do so. In fact, I'm soon going to set up a non-administrator account (I've set up a number of accounts on this computer, a few of which I deleted [and one of those at least I had to delete through unorthodox means because Windows wouldn't get rid of normally for whatever reason, if I recall correctly].

You mentioned maintenance tools, Moonchild. Do you know of any that you would at the very least deem worthy of prudent consideration, if nothing more?
Last edited by Tharthan on 2019-06-08, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-08, 13:57

Tharthan wrote:
2019-06-08, 13:42
You mentioned maintenance tools, Moonchild. Do you know of any that you would at the very least deem worthy of prudent consideration, if nothing more?
I don't know of anything recent. I've been happy with the registry maintenance tool as part of tuneup utilities 2012, but that was -before- they were acquired by a different company (AVG I think?)...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-06-08, 16:18

Tharthan wrote:
I asked if anyone knew of a(n) (at least fairly) trustworthy registry cleaner on another thread, but no one suggested any.
Use the registry cleaner in Wise Care 365 (it's also available separately if you don't want an all-in-one cleaner). That's what I have installed on both my wife's computer and my son's (I run a Linux OS so I'm lucky I don't need things like this).
Tharthan wrote:
I managed to find the installer after some searching, but the standard link that Adobe provides does not display the big download button on the page that one downloads Adobe Flash from.
If you're still looking to install Flash, use the link below to download the off-line installer (the link is at the bottom of the page).

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html#main-pars_header

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-06-08, 17:24

I have to agree with ron_1, I also use Wise registry cleaner which is part of Wise 365.
If you want a great image program free then you can get O&O Diskimage 12 Pro for free. It has the ability to skip as many files and folders that you don't need or wont in the image. Could cut that 600 GB down to less than 100 Gb.

This page is in German, just enter your email and wait for a reply with the names and license key info.
https://www.oo-software.com/de/special/dtp082

Download English version here:
https://www.oo-software.com/en/download ... =OODI12PRO

I've been using this for about two months now and I can say that it is as good or better than Acronis True Image, which is the gold standard of image software.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-06-08, 23:05

If you messed up the Flash installation, it'd be best to first use Adobe's uninstaller, restart, and then reinstall.

As for general maintenance tools, I'd suggest Kerish Doctor. As always, be careful of what you do with these tools. TuneUp Utilities was excellent. It still lives on as AVG TuneUp but KD is better and AVG (the company) can be dodgy (lots of data collection, in-product promotions etc.).

For something focusing on the registry, check Reg Organizer.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-06-09, 06:31

billmcct wrote:
2019-06-08, 17:24
If you want a great image program free then you can get O&O Diskimage 12 Pro for free. It has the ability to skip as many files and folders that you don't need or wont in the image. Could cut that 600 GB down to less than 100 Gb.
I purchased a WD "My Book" dingus that comes with its own backup utility (or it was supposed to, anyway, but in actuality I had to find all of the stuff on their website and install it myself even though it was obviously designed to work with the "My Book").
ron_1 wrote:
2019-06-08, 16:18
If you're still looking to install Flash
back2themoon wrote:
2019-06-08, 23:05
If you messed up the Flash installation, it'd be best to first use Adobe's uninstaller, restart, and then reinstall.
Oh, my bad. I guess I was too vague in my wording when I responded to Night Wing. When I said that I found the link after searching for a while, I meant to imply that I reinstalled it already. Sorry for the confusion.

Will the fact that I reinstalled it without using the Adobe uninstaller or without restarting (initially after reinstalling) potentially cause any future problems that I ought to be aware of?
ron_1 wrote:
2019-06-08, 16:18
Use the registry cleaner in Wise Care 365 (it's also available separately if you don't want an all-in-one cleaner)
billmcct wrote:
2019-06-08, 17:24
I have to agree with ron_1, I also use Wise registry cleaner which is part of Wise 365.
Alright, I downloaded the individual Wise Registry Cleaner (not the whole "Wise 365 package) and I'm going to install it after I post this.

Is there any reason why I ought to consider the whole Wise 365 package? I'm kind of strapped for cash at the moment (even more so since I just went and bought that My Book dingus), and I'm not going to download something that ends up being largely baitware or something.

Forgive me if I'm completely off base on this. I don't generally use computer tidying programs usually. There is one that I have been using that I learnt about during the time I spent away largely from Windows using GNU/Linux, but aside from that, I don't use any.

Maybe that's why there was so much junk built up. The only time computer maintenance is done is when I manually go and tidy up my computer folder by folder (not every folder on the C drive, of course!)
back2themoon wrote:
2019-06-08, 23:05
For something focusing on the registry, check Reg Organizer.
I may take a look at that, but since I don't know how it differs from the other registry cleaner that was recommended to me (the "Wise" one), I'm probably going to wait until I have time to gather more information on their differences.

I've been dedicating my free time to computer maintenance for the past few weeks, and it has kept me up far too late several nights. I'm hoping to wrap up this digital "spring cleaning" with the creation of a disk image and me creating (and gradually switching to the usage of) a non-administrative account for my general Windows 7 use. I'm doing that for a few reasons, one of which is the fact that Windows 7 will be no longer supported by Microsoft soon, and I'd rather not switch to Mac OSX or something like that if I don't absolutely have to. Frankly, I wish that they would just come up with (what would be, in my opinion) a good successor to Windows 7, because I'd rather not seem Luddite-esque if I don't have to (I already don't use smart devices or social media because I don't like them. The last thing that I need is to be like one of those WindowsXPOnly-ers).

So, yeah. I'm trying to take things step by step when I have the time.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-06-09, 08:27

Tharthan wrote:
2019-06-09, 06:31
Will the fact that I reinstalled it without using the Adobe uninstaller or without restarting (initially after reinstalling) potentially cause any future problems that I ought to be aware of?
If it works normally, it should be fine.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-06-09, 14:13

Tharthan wrote:
Is there any reason why I ought to consider the whole Wise 365 package? I'm kind of strapped for cash at the moment (even more so since I just went and bought that My Book dingus), and I'm not going to download something that ends up being largely baitware or something.
If you're looking for an all in one cleaner that's one reason to consider it. It's not baitware or anything of the sort. Just download the free option (the green button).

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-06-09, 20:14

Tharthan wrote:
2019-06-09, 06:31
I purchased a WD "My Book" dingus that comes with its own backup utility (or it was supposed to, anyway, but in actuality I had to find all of the stuff on their website and install it myself even though it was obviously designed to work with the "My Book").
The software WD provides isn't very good, I know since I have used it before. WD will give you a severely stripped down version of ATI "Acronis True Image" for free, (only free version of ATI there is) however you are limited as to what you can image. Either Full whole disk or full whole partition. No way to reduce the image. With the O&O Pro You can selectively NOT image any files or folders you chose not to image. My C:\ drive is 420 GBs of data but my images of the C:\ drive are only about 50 GBs due to not imaging anything except the system and programs. Saves time and backup space. Any files folders pics video etc I wish to keep are backed up separately.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-06-09, 21:11

billmcct wrote:
2019-06-09, 20:14
The software WD provides isn't very good, I know since I have used it before. WD will give you a severely stripped down version of ATI "Acronis True Image" for free, (only free version of ATI there is)
Thanks much for telling me this. I have never backed up (creating a hard drive disk image, I mean) my C drive before, believe it or not (I know that I ought to have, but I never got around to doing it).
billmcct wrote:
2019-06-09, 20:14
With the O&O Pro You can selectively NOT image any files or folders you chose not to image. My C:\ drive is 420 GBs of data but my images of the C:\ drive are only about 50 GBs due to not imaging anything except the system and programs. Saves time and backup space. Any files folders pics video etc I wish to keep are backed up separately.
When I said that my hard drive is under 600 GB, I was referring to its full capacity. Only 79 GB (according to what my computer is telling me) have been taken up right now (I've done much tidying, y'see).

Nevertheless, I'd like to back up everything that I can, just in case my whole hard drive fails someday before I end up getting a new computer. I do have really important stuff backed up on a flash drive (I have been doing that sort of "backing up' for as long as I can remember, of course), but nevertheless having two backed up copies of a file/program is hardly something that would be a problem.

Regarding that "O&O Pro" that you mentioned: is the method that you gave to get it (from der deutschen Webseite) completely legal? I ask this, because sometimes people will suggest legal grey area stuff. I'd rather not do any legal grey area stuff if possible.

But if it's entirely legal, I'll gladly use that method to get the software.

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2019-06-10, 09:11

Yes it's legal, translate the page you'll see. Even the address should show you it's O&Os German website. When O&O upgraded from v12 to v14 they made the v12 free to all. (no v13) I couldn't find the English page again so listed the German.
Tommy Lasorda