The Add-Ons/Extensions Quandry

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

The Add-Ons/Extensions Quandry

Unread post by rodndtube » 2019-06-07, 15:52

Not sure what is happening, but every month or quarter another previously working Add-ons/Extensions disappear or simply no longer function.

The most recent ones are "Cite This!" and "BibItNow!" which are used for generating a bibliographic citation for a source being viewed on-line. "Cite This!" has been my most frequently used citation generator. It was a charm to use. The installer says, "This add-on requires a newer version of Firefox (at least version 54.0a1). You are using Firefox 52.9."

For example, APA v6, but could also be edited like capitalizing Hawaii:

Martin, C. (2013, December 21). Surfboard design, catching a wave from old hawaii. The New York Times. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/22/busi ... awaii.html

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Re: The Add-Ons/Extensions Quandry

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2019-06-07, 16:16

Basilisk doesn't support WebExtensions, which those appear to be. You'd be best checking out the details on this post for where alternatives could be found.

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2019-06-07, 17:03

I can't find "BibItNow!" on the legacy list. GitHub might be a coders wet dream, but is like spaghetti to me. "Cite This!" was working before it wasn't. Other citation generators are all on the extensions bandwagon.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-06-07, 17:15

Lootyhoof wrote:
2019-06-07, 16:16
Basilisk doesn't support WebExtensions, which those appear to be
Actually looks like that the "Cite This!" add-on was a XUL extension before it got remade as a WebExtension. And it is present in CAA: caa:addon/cite-this.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-06-07, 17:30

Legacy Collector's site only has a fraction of the "Classic" Firefox Extension library.

Classic Add-ons Archive has almost all of them because JustOff did a spectacular job with his AMO scraping and data collection plus merging in my 2014 datastore taken from just before Mozilla shut down their FTP server.

You get an almost complete AMO like experence with versions, search, categories, tags, and other metadata.

Classic Add-ons Archive contains the most complete collection of Firefox Extensions on the face of the planet.

Beats the hell out of an incomplete list of xpi files on a web page eh?

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2019-06-07, 18:11

yami_ wrote:
2019-06-07, 17:15
Lootyhoof wrote:
2019-06-07, 16:16
Basilisk doesn't support WebExtensions, which those appear to be
Actually looks like that the "Cite This!" add-on was a XUL extension before it got remade as a WebExtension. And it is present in CAA: caa:addon/cite-this.
After "Cite This!" disappeared, I uninstalled it, reboot Basilisk, and reinstalled. Nothing. There is a notation somewhere about not liking the current Firefox version of Basilisk.

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2019-06-07, 18:16

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-06-07, 17:30
Legacy Collector's site only has a fraction of the "Classic" Firefox Extension library.

Classic Add-ons Archive has almost all of them because JustOff did a spectacular job with his AMO scraping and data collection plus merging in my 2014 datastore taken from just before Mozilla shut down their FTP server.

You get an almost complete AMO like experence with versions, search, categories, tags, and other metadata.

Classic Add-ons Archive contains the most complete collection of Firefox Extensions on the face of the planet.

Beats the hell out of an incomplete list of xpi files on a web page eh?
Can't find "Cite This!" on the Classic site. It was on the Legacy cite

"BibItNow!" may be there but it is not apparent where the xpi file is located. Point me to a direct link of the xpi files?

srazzano

Unread post by srazzano » 2019-06-07, 18:45

Go to this link: https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/releases
Click on: ca-archive-2.0.1.xpi
Once installed, enter caa:addon/cite-this into urlbar and hit Enter.

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2019-06-07, 19:26

srazzano wrote:
2019-06-07, 18:45
Go to this link: https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/releases
Click on: ca-archive-2.0.1.xpi
Once installed, enter caa:addon/cite-this into urlbar and hit Enter.
Thank you. The additional instructions made the process work. Seems like the ca-archive should be baked-in to Basilisk.

Alas, the add-on only partially worked. It would generate entries of a citation into field cells but not package them into a copy from box as before.

I could not find "BibItNow!" in the ca-archive.

rodndtube
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by rodndtube » 2019-06-07, 19:39

I reinstalled the older version and now it is working again... (I think!).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-08, 07:08

2019-06-07, 17:30
That's an exaggeration. It does list almost 10,000 individual add-ons (I don't know how many versions of each) so that's not exactly a "fraction". Sure it's not as complete as CAA, and the presentation is absolutely bare-bones, but please don't talk down on it as an alternative like that, because that's simply not true.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-06-08, 09:29

1/2 is still a fraction ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-08, 10:30

2019-06-08, 09:29
1/2 is still a fraction ;)
Smartass ;)
You know the common use of the term as well as I do. :P
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-06-08, 10:52

Your assessment is not incorrect. :thumbup: