Some features I'd like in Pale Moon

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
R3n_001
Moonbather
Moonbather

Some features I'd like in Pale Moon

Unread post by R3n_001 » 2019-05-25, 21:18

First, fix the Certificate Manager, deleting certificates and clicking OK and reopening the Certificate Manager shows that the certificates are still there (The certificates I'm trying to delete are on this https://www.ghacks.net/2019/02/24/how-t ... tificates/)

Second, let the user of the browser enable e10s, or if it's already in Pale Moon at least make it be in the advanced preferences (When having two windows with a ton of tabs, I notice that Pale Moon starts slowing down dramatically)

(The last two features are more optional as less people would probably want them, but I'd still like them added)

Third, an option to disable the "Subscribe to this page..." icon

Fourth and final, add an option to make the Pale Moon menu be one column instead of two (Like the Menu in Firefox Quantum)

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Some features I'd like in Pale Moon

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-05-25, 22:46

R3n_001 wrote:
2019-05-25, 21:18
Second, let the user of the browser enable e10s, or if it's already in Pale Moon at least make it be in the advanced preferences (When having two windows with a ton of tabs, I notice that Pale Moon starts slowing down dramatically)
UXP does not support e10s, for reasons that have been discussed elsewhere on the forum, notably here. UXP applications are and will remain single process, multi-threaded applications.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2019-05-25, 22:51

3rd: about:config, browser.urlbar.rss = false

4th, alternatives: Firefox Button Classic Menu (in Classic Addons Archive) displayed the regular menu in a dropdown from the app button but not sure it still works (haven't tested in recent PM but working in Basilisk). Or, New Old Menu just adds Tools and View which should have never been left out. Toolbar Button Guy had buttons for each of the menus - they still work if you can get them.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-26, 02:17

The certificate manager is fine.
For built-in certificates all trust will be removed, which is the same as removing the certificates altogether.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Axatax

Unread post by Axatax » 2019-06-06, 06:49

For me Palemoon is basically perfect. I'd like to see hardware acceleration on YT videos under Linux though.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-06-06, 10:55

Axatax wrote:
2019-06-06, 06:49
For me Palemoon is basically perfect. I'd like to see hardware acceleration on YT videos under Linux though.
On older machines, sometimes hardware acceleration is more trouble than it is worth in my opinion. I have four computers which do not give me any problems with either linux or windows Pale Moon when visiting and using YouTube and they are 2010 to 2013 year models.

The first thing I do when I install a new linux distro and then load linux Pale Moon, I go to:

Tools > Preferences > Advanced > General

Under the General tab, I go down to Browsing where "Use hardware acceleration when available" is checked by default, this is where I uncheck it.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Axatax

Unread post by Axatax » 2019-06-07, 00:06

It's not necessary but man, MPV is *glorious* with an nVidia card and 4K YT content. I wish that could be in the browser... 8-) Chromium can do it...

Axatax

Unread post by Axatax » 2019-06-07, 00:12

I don't know enough about video CODECs, etc., but even accelerated MPV on low-res streams, it looks completely different than what you see in the browser. It's like someone wiped soot off your monitor. It's nothing short of a revelation. It looks better than what I get through my cable box with symmetrical 100 meg fiber.
Last edited by Axatax on 2019-06-07, 00:17, edited 1 time in total.

Axatax

Unread post by Axatax » 2019-06-07, 00:16

MPV is obviously doing something different than what a browser does.

If you're familiar with something like the NFL in 1080p, that what everything basically looks like. It's absolutely crystal clear, incredible. And the CPU monitor doesn't even go over 3%.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-06-07, 08:35

MPV is a dedicated media player with support for things like vertical synchronization (with related audio re-sampling), high quality up- and down-scaling filters and temporal interpolation. It will obviously look better than any Internet browser.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-07, 10:03

Aside from your three-post plugging of MPV (not necessary, not sure what your intention is) I remind people of the statement on our roadmap about what Yami said as well:
It will never be our goal to equal or surpass dedicated media software, since Pale Moon is and remains above all a web browser. Full-HD streaming will be possible, but may not be as smooth or as feature-rich as what you may find in home cinema software.
Source: http://www.palemoon.org/roadmap.shtml
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-06-20, 13:27

Moonchild wrote:
2019-05-26, 02:17
The certificate manager is fine.
For built-in certificates all trust will be removed, which is the same as removing the certificates altogether.
I didn't understand this - does this mean that the built in root CAs are not trusted by default?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2019-07-04, 17:14

Night Wing wrote:
2019-06-06, 10:55
Axatax wrote:
2019-06-06, 06:49
On older machines, sometimes hardware acceleration is more trouble than it is worth in my opinion. I have four computers which do not give me any problems with either linux or windows Pale Moon when visiting and using YouTube and they are 2010 to 2013 year models.

The first thing I do when I install a new linux distro and then load linux Pale Moon, I go to:

Tools > Preferences > Advanced > General

Under the General tab, I go down to Browsing where "Use hardware acceleration when available" is checked by default, this is where I uncheck it.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that checkbox does anything on Linux. It seems hardware acceleration is disabled by default on Linux. You can get better performance using SMTube and SMPlayer. I agree that hardware acceleration can be a problem so I don't mind that it is disabled by default in Pale Moon on Linux.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-04, 17:15

mr tribute wrote:
2019-07-04, 17:14
Someone correct me if I am wrong
You're wrong. sorry.

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2019-07-04, 19:35

Moonchild wrote:
2019-07-04, 17:15
mr tribute wrote:
2019-07-04, 17:14
Someone correct me if I am wrong
You're wrong. sorry.
This is what led to my conclusion. Especially this:

HW_COMPOSITING:
blocked by default: Acceleration blocked by platform
OPENGL_COMPOSITING:
unavailable by default: Hardware compositing is disabled

Code: Select all

GPU #1
Active: Yes
Description: X.Org -- AMD PALM (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.14.0-3-amd64, LLVM 7.0.0)
Vendor ID: X.Org
Device ID: AMD PALM (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.14.0-3-amd64, LLVM 7.0.0)
Driver Version: 3.1 Mesa 18.2.6

Diagnostics
AzureCanvasAccelerated: 0
AzureCanvasBackend: skia
AzureContentBackend: cairo
AzureFallbackCanvasBackend: cairo
CairoUseXRender: 1

Decision Log
HW_COMPOSITING:
blocked by default: Acceleration blocked by platform
OPENGL_COMPOSITING:
unavailable by default: Hardware compositing is disabled

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-04, 22:04

You're still wrong -- unless you are so high and mighty that you think every instance of Linux is like your specific system.
Besides, hardware acceleration is more than just whether you have a compositor or not.