archive.palemoon.org not accessible

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Tohuwabohuix

archive.palemoon.org not accessible

Unread post by Tohuwabohuix » 2019-05-28, 00:48

At least since two days I cannot reach the Pale Moon archive.

When I go to http://www.palemoon.org/archived.shtml and as often I click the link ftp://archive.palemoon.org/palemoon/ then there comes always only the error message:
"The connection has timed out" :coffee: :shock:

I tried it with several browsers then - each with a new profile - firewall and ant-virus deactivated - DNS-Cache deleted - etc. --- no success :-?

All other ftp-sites in my bookmarks are accessible without delay - as examples of accessibility only a few of many sites I smoothly reach: http://ftp.avm.de/ - ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/ - ftp://speedtest.tele2.net/ ..... :!:

Cause I access all other ftp-sites that I know I don't think the problem is on my computer - are there maintenance works on archive.palemoon.org or something else ?

With Basilisk for eaxample:

no-archive.jpg
Last edited by Tohuwabohuix on 2019-05-28, 01:04, edited 1 time in total.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: archive.palemoon.org not accessible

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-05-28, 00:54

Sartorix wrote:
2019-05-28, 00:48
I don't think the problem is on my computer
Nope, it's not your computer. Archive.palemoon.org is not responding at the moment.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Tohuwabohuix

Unread post by Tohuwabohuix » 2019-05-28, 01:00

Nigaikaze wrote:
2019-05-28, 00:54
... Nope, it's not your computer. Archive.palemoon.org is not responding at the moment.
Thanks - for my part I'm relieved now :thumbup: :clap:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-28, 01:30

There's an issue with the server, apparently. I've opened a ticket with upstream.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-28, 12:16

Update on this: looks like the storage on the VM host node is hosed and it caused corruption in the VPS's file system to the point where the kernel got corrupted. Repair is not possible (I tried).
Until this is solved with a proper functioning host node and a reinstalled VPS, the archive server is off-line.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-28, 15:31

Is our archive data and vm its self intact?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-29, 09:33

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-05-28, 15:31
Is our archive data and vm its self intact?
Doesn't look like it. At the very least I can't trust whatever is on that virtual drive after it corrupted the kernel to such a degree that even repairing it from installation media failed.

I'm working with the provider to find out what happened. so far they have not been very forthcoming aside from wanting to assure me "the node side is fine" well, sorry but these things just don't suddenly happen without a reason... If they aren't going to give me a satisfactory answer I'll move elsewhere.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-31, 14:35

The archive server is back up.

Of note, I've changed things around a bit and access to the old versions is now available over http instead of ftp.

http://archive.palemoon.org/ should get you started. The links from the website's "archived versions" page will also be updated accordingly.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-05-31, 23:47

Why the switch from FTP to HTTP?
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-06-01, 00:36

...... Why not?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-06-01, 00:40

Was just curious if there was a technical reason, or if it was just a preferential matter. I don't mind either way. :)
a.k.a. Ascrod
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-06-01, 02:10

It's not a preferential matter. I actually prefer FTP for File Transfer; that's what it was made for. However, finding a good, easy to set up FTP daemon with virtual users for *nix is problematic, and people tend to browse the FTP with their browser anyway when downloading (which kind of abuses FTP servers since browsers don't tend to keep persistent connections open)... so just setting up nginx for it was an easier way. Previously I ran the archive server under Windows but it wasn't very efficient for the type of VM it is, so while I had to reinstall anyway, I chose to go for CentOS instead.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-06-01, 04:44

Thank you for the explanation!
a.k.a. Ascrod