Free for all "off-topic" board?

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Should we have a "wild west" off-topic board on this forum?

Poll ended at 2019-06-02, 20:13

Yes, create an "off-topic" board that has special rules of engagement.
47%
No, keep the forum focused on what it was set up for: Pale Moon/Basilisk/UXP and related topics.
53%

Total votes: 64

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Free for all "off-topic" board?

Unread post by Falna » 2019-05-27, 23:04

I'll probably not visit often, but several other boards I've participated in have an off-topic area / social corner that seem to work fine - though they have been moderated - so it's OK to trial it by me.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2019-05-28, 07:49

mr tribute wrote:
2019-05-27, 22:26
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-05-27, 19:17
MAYBE I should be the one assigned to watch over it!
Yes and you are welcome to participate in the "Unofficial Interlink discussion & support" thread I might create... ;) :thumbup:
Now that would be very useful - I subscribed to Github but, to be honest, couldn't figure out how to ask anything re. Interlink. Not everything is an 'issue'.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2019-05-28, 07:53

Couple of points:
I do agree with Tobin 'moderating' the proposed board could be fun (FSVO!).

As to the closeness of the vote: it's almost as close as UK's Brexit vote, so if it does come about there'll have to be more polls until the 'other side' gets what it wants; if that one's close... ad nauseam.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-28, 08:11

Off-topic:
You can always come to my irc channel. If you don't use an irc client you can go to the interact page on the website.

Kerebron
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Kerebron » 2019-05-28, 16:07

I suppose a "Hyde Park" board could act as a lightning conductor for the rest of the forum. I'd say, give it a go - you can always scrap it, if it fails. :angel:

Lunix

Unread post by Lunix » 2019-05-28, 16:43

I voted yes. Tobin should not only moderate but also post his own topics for discussion.

Tohuwabohuix

Unread post by Tohuwabohuix » 2019-05-28, 21:09

Kerebron wrote:
2019-05-28, 16:07
... you can always scrap it, if it fails. :angel:
In plain british english if it fails: OTexit :twisted: ;)

Kane_the_black
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Kane_the_black » 2019-05-29, 07:40

I do not understand. On the one hand, everyone would like more than 0.02%, but on the other, there is so much resistance to community development. In a city, a factory is not enough, people also need a cafe. Sometimes you will probably meet the wrong people - that's how it happens. But is it really so unpleasant for developers that people want to be here not only for work, but also for pleasure? I think Tobin (sorry we do not know each other, I hope you will let me) as a sheriff ..... it's a very interesting idea - we will not be bored :lol: :clap: :thumbup:
i voted "yes"

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-29, 09:30

This is not a city, and you are not bound by its limits. Just open another tab and go to your "café" :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-29, 14:28

Remember, this poll is not an example of the off-topic concept but to discuss the concept.

Kane_the_black
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Kane_the_black » 2019-05-29, 15:00

Of course I can open another tab. I can, he can, they can ... tens, hundreds or thousands. Let everyone who are not super specialized programmers leave - because only those are in the price ... right? And what next? Post that nobody is interested in xul? Post that no one is talking about us? Post that for some unknown reason they hate us? Post that we are looking for support? But who? Because everyone is already sitting in other "cafe". But us (you) is not interested because you have something special? Claws help to run, claws help fight for survival. I understand. But don't help to build trust, smile. And this is needed by people who want to see that what you propose is something special. You're right I'm not important, you're right I can not bring anything new. And you're right I can disappear from this place, and nobody even notices or cries. Tear my throat, and then howl to the moon that no one wants to live in your home. Is that what you want? How many times have you gone this way? ...

PS. it may look a bit masochistic but ... thanks to it no one else suffers :lol:
PS2. If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to build it for everyone - you know, it's a very interesting motto ...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-29, 15:44

I have no idea what the HELL you are on about.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-05-29, 16:08

2019-05-29, 15:44
I have no idea what the HELL you are on about.
If this board happens and you end up being the moderator, I expect to see you saying that a LOT more often. You might even have to add it to your sig. :lol:
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-29, 16:30

Yes.

Also, moderator is a strong word. I liked what someone else said.. Sheriff.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-05-29, 17:22

2019-05-29, 16:30
I liked what someone else said.. Sheriff.
Oh, I like that too!

Support.Your.Local.Sheriff.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-29, 21:59

Several posts in this thread have been deleted for going beyond civil discussion on the topic.
Regardless of the poll outcome, if people can already not behave themselves talking about such a board, then I wonder if I can expect anything BUT a cesspool within a matter of days if it's created. :P

Keep things on the level, all right? No point in making posts just to try and get a rise out of people. Any further such posts will be dealt with with an instant ban from my hammer, robbing you of the very opportunity to <ahem> "socialize" further in the OT board.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tohuwabohuix

Unread post by Tohuwabohuix » 2019-05-30, 00:11

Nigaikaze wrote:
2019-05-29, 17:22
2019-05-29, 16:30
I liked what someone else said.. Sheriff.
Oh, I like that too!

Oh, I just can't help aligning me with You Nigaikaze ... and, needless to say, with Sir New Tobin Paradigm :!:

But the election poster shouldn't show Sheriff Jason McCullough - long time passed away :angel:

Our candidate for a grand Off-Topic board :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Support Our Off-Topic Sheriff_.jpg

He's the Man - The One and Only who can prevent a board's turning into a shark basin :thumbup: :lol: :wave:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tohuwabohuix on 2019-05-30, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-30, 00:18

CHRIST..........

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2019-05-30, 05:51

My suggestion would be that there be a subforum that allows non-PM related discussion, but where its limited to topics related to software, hardware, and technology- and that it would be moderated.

Essentially, I would like to recreate what we had in General Discussion before it given a more narrow focus. That was the best part of the forum.

What I don't really wanted to see is an area where people engage in possibly offensive flamewars about politics and whatever with no oversight.

There is a middleground to be found between the two polling options.

Or, if the powers that be are determined to do this wild west forum, how about the forum I am suggesting be added as separate from that.

Kane_the_black
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Kane_the_black » 2019-05-30, 08:19

CharmCityCrab wrote:
2019-05-30, 05:51

That was the best part of the forum.
If it arises - I hope that for you and many others it will be the best part of the forum. :) And what will it be? Ask your local sheriff. ;)

Perhaps I was misunderstood. I'm not a supporter of the wild west either. I just thought about a place where you can talk about something else. It can be a conversation about "but where its limited to topics related to software, hardware, and technology" - for example, in a friendly atmosphere, where you can meet all those people so hard working on Pale Moon, a little closer. To think that they really are special, perhaps more friendly than we thought and always helpful in various matters. Where can I say "great job, thank you"