ηMatrix/eMatrix support thread

Dedicated board for extension releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are an extension author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: ηMatrix/eMatrix support thread

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-05-17, 18:18

I did write a migration code, but I guess it was bugged, despite passing the test when I tried it. I guess the tests weren't close enough to real life.
I changed the directory name because no one uses "extension-data" except uBlock and eMatrix, and I wanted to make the directory role more clear.
I'm not going to revert it, so I'll try to make the migration better.
I didn't check if Tobin has implemented the userDisable setting in Phoebus, but 2.0.1 won't be disabled until an update.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-17, 18:23

userDisable will apply to the entire extension.. Do you need it deactivated this second?

Also, assuming no one uses some directory in the profile is a faulty assumption. As is renaming the directory.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-05-17, 18:39

No, I don't need to disable the extension. I just pushed an update that should fix the problem.
The problem this time was that moving the file was failing because of an incorrect path. It seems to work this time.
Let's see how long it takes until it is discovered I messed up again.

Edit:
It actually didn't take long... hopefully this update was quick enough.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2019-05-17, 21:09

Just tried to update to 2.01 and it gave error: "There was an error downloading eMatrix"
Might be expected based on changes being made, so no biggie.

There is however a biggie, apparently. Constantly recurring connections to winhelp2000.MVPS.org hosts in the logger. I'll try again when I get the update. Of course when I disable eMatrix I can't use the logger, but the Network panel of Dev Tools doesn't show those connections.

I guess I'll have to go back to 1.4 until this is solved because I won't leave home without it.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-05-17, 21:43

Michaell wrote:
2019-05-17, 21:09
Constantly recurring connections to winhelp2000.MVPS.org hosts in the logger.
I have the logger opened right now and nothing shows up.
Or rather, I have a list of all the connections I made till now (e.g. those to log in the forum), but none of them are from winhelp2000.
Do you know by chance if it always happens, or if you see it after visiting certain websites?

By the way, we are at 2.0.3 right now, so if you manage to get it make sure the last number in the version string is a 3 (I tried it with 2.0.1 too, but still saw nothing.)

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2019-05-17, 22:05

OK, was able to install 2.03. I had MVPS unchecked (it's a domain filter list on the Hosts tab) when I updated eMatrix and there were no connections to it. As soon as I checked it to enable and clicked Apply, the continuous connections started, even before clicking get updates. Only thing that stops this is Disable eMatrix. So, back to 1.3.2 for now. EDIT to add: constant connections don't happen in 1.3.2, but it does show a connection error to that domain. So, something different in the handling of the network error between the two versions.

Ez-waker

Unread post by Ez-waker » 2019-05-18, 03:22

Michaell wrote:
2019-05-17, 21:09
Just tried to update to 2.01 and it gave error: "There was an error downloading eMatrix"
Might be expected based on changes being made, so no biggie.

There is however a biggie, apparently. Constantly recurring connections to winhelp2000.MVPS.org hosts in the logger. I'll try again when I get the update. Of course when I disable eMatrix I can't use the logger, but the Network panel of Dev Tools doesn't show those connections.

I guess I'll have to go back to 1.4 until this is solved because I won't leave home without it.
I am attempting to replicate this error with eMatrix 2.0.3 in PM28.5.0. I have the eMatrix Logger tab open set to "All." I have the eMatrix Dashboard open with the "Hosts files" tab selected and MVPS HOSTS selected, as well. In the Logger tab, I do not see any attempt or repeated attempts (yet) to connect to winhelp2000.MVPS.org. Is there a step I am missing?

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2019-05-18, 20:51

This may be needed:
matrix-off: behind-the-scene false
It's a standard setting for me, so I don''t know if it affects the logger.

It could be something specific to me, like my IP being banned from that server (if it wasn't before, may be now :) ). But there is a connection error even with the old version; it just doesn't keep trying incessantly.

Ez-waker

Unread post by Ez-waker » 2019-05-19, 02:36

Michaell wrote:
2019-05-18, 20:51
This may be needed:
matrix-off: behind-the-scene false
It's a standard setting for me, so I don''t know if it affects the logger.

It could be something specific to me, like my IP being banned from that server (if it wasn't before, may be now :) ). But there is a connection error even with the old version; it just doesn't keep trying incessantly.
I may not be much help for you here. I changed my settings to matrix-off: behind-the-scene false and went browsing for a little while, periodically checked the logger, but I wasn't able to replicate the error.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-05-19, 19:23

Michaell wrote:
2019-05-17, 22:05
OK, was able to install 2.03. I had MVPS unchecked (it's a domain filter list on the Hosts tab) when I updated eMatrix and there were no connections to it. As soon as I checked it to enable and clicked Apply, the continuous connections started, even before clicking get updates. Only thing that stops this is Disable eMatrix. So, back to 1.3.2 for now. EDIT to add: constant connections don't happen in 1.3.2, but it does show a connection error to that domain. So, something different in the handling of the network error between the two versions.
Can you try these steps?
Just be aware that it's a fairly drastic step, and if you don't want to risk don't do it.
1. Save your eMatrix settings (open the settings page, go to the "about" tag, select the save to file option.)
2. Uninstall eMatrix.
3. Close your browser. Make sure it's 100% terminated. Don't leave a single process running.
4. Go to your profile directory and delete the "ematrix-data" folder.
5. Restart the browser.
6. Reinstall eMatrix.
7. Load your settings.
8. Check if the error is still there.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2019-05-19, 22:05

That's close to what I did yesterday. I switched back and forth with old and new versions, including deleting the data folder at some point. I did try a completely new profile today with 2.03 and it updated that same host list without error. So, while I don't know what caused it, as long as no one else reports it, just let it go.

moonshiner

Unread post by moonshiner » 2019-05-26, 17:28

Hi vannilla, I have a problem with all ematrix versions after 1.4.0. When I open palemoon with no internet connection the cpu goes to crazy high level (at least on my Core 2 Duo) and when I try to close palemoon, it remains open in the background and I have to kill the process. I think this is caused by ematrix's attempt to connect to publixsuffix dot org every second trying to download a file.

Once there is an internet connection ematrix will download the file and the cpu goes to normal level and I can close normally palemoon. But it will download this file every time I open palemoon, it's quite dumb as an auto-update feature.

Can you revert to the way this file was updated in version 1.4.0 or put this file together with the hosts files so it can be manually or auto-updated with them? Thanks.

Ez-waker

Unread post by Ez-waker » 2019-05-26, 18:32

moonshiner wrote:
2019-05-26, 17:28
Hi vannilla, I have a problem with all ematrix versions after 1.4.0. When I open palemoon with no internet connection the cpu goes to crazy high level (at least on my Core 2 Duo) and when I try to close palemoon, it remains open in the background and I have to kill the process. I think this is caused by ematrix's attempt to connect to publixsuffix dot org every second trying to download a file.

Once there is an internet connection ematrix will download the file and the cpu goes to normal level and I can close normally palemoon. But it will download this file every time I open palemoon, it's quite dumb as an auto-update feature.

Can you revert to the way this file was updated in version 1.4.0 or put this file together with the hosts files so it can be manually or auto-updated with them? Thanks.
Does this still happen when you turn off Auto-update hosts files in the dashboard?

moonshiner

Unread post by moonshiner » 2019-05-26, 18:55

pale_moon_user wrote:
2019-05-26, 18:32
Does this still happen when you turn off Auto-update hosts files in the dashboard?
Yes it does, I have it unchecked I update the hosts files manually, but this file has this broken auto-update.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-05-27, 13:51

It seems the problem is that the list isn't cached like the other files for no apparent reason.
The CPU usage is due to a function recursively calling itself while waiting on the file. Yeah, it's terrible but that's how uMatrix used to work at the time, and despite gitlab showing a "rewrite asset.js" commit, it was mostly in how the code was organized than in how it works.
I'll see if placing the list in the cache is enough, but I'll certainly put a hard limit on the recursive call.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-05-27, 15:03

Sorry for the double post:
The problem with the suffix list was actually that the cache wasn't available at all when the list was searched for, but was for the other assets.
I released v2.1.0, but it's not on APMO/ABO, because I'm not actually sure it works everywhere, and before having another 2.0.0 case (where I worked on the same set of functions and things went downhill) it's better to have someone else test it.
Download it from https://gitlab.com/vannilla/ematrix/tags/2.1.0 and check it out.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2019-05-27, 16:38

OK for me as far as I can tell (nothing obviously related in Logger or Browser Console). However, I don't know how to check that the suffix list did or did not update.

FWIW, there are 2 errors in Browser Console (filtered by "matrix"):
ReferenceError: addMessageListener is not defined[Learn More]
vapi-client.js:114:13
connect chrome://ematrix/content/js/vapi-client.js:114:13
addListener chrome://ematrix/content/js/vapi-client.js:197:9
start chrome://ematrix/content/js/vapi-client.js:85:9
<anonymous> chrome://ematrix/content/js/vapi-client.js:210:1
<anonymous> chrome://ematrix/content/js/vapi-client.js:33:2
ReferenceError: addMessageListener is not defined[Learn More]
vapi-client.js:114:13
connect chrome://ematrix/content/js/vapi-client.js:114:13
send chrome://ematrix/content/js/vapi-client.js:159:9
readLogBuffer chrome://ematrix/content/js/logger-ui.js:482:5
vAPI.setTimeout</< chrome://ematrix/content/js/vapi-common.js:51:37

Not related but ... is it creating an empty extension-data folder on purpose?

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-05-27, 17:16

The suffix list doesn't have to be updated. It's enough to check the CPU usage when there's no connection and if there are any warnings in the browser console about failing to download some asset (those are good warnings, it means things work as intended.)

It shouldn't create any "extension-data" folder. Are you sure it's not something related to uBlock/uMatrix? Please check in a new profile (if you didn't already...)

I'm not sure what's up with the addListener error. When I tested 2.1.0 with a clean profile nothing showed up. Can you reproduce those errors? Like, did they happen just after installation, or did you do something before checking the console?

moonshiner

Unread post by moonshiner » 2019-05-27, 17:56

It works for me too, thanks for the quick fix. It's not ematrix which creates the extension-data folder. I had this empty folder on my profile too, I deleted it and reinstalled ematrix and no new extension-data folder was created.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2019-05-27, 18:48

Like, did they happen just after installation, or did you do something before checking the console?
I found it after restarting the browser. Before that I could have missed it. If it doesn't occur for others, just ignore.

Regarding the empty folder, it was the timestamp that indicated it had just been created minutes before. And I didn't do it.:) There's no uMatrix or uBlock installed in this profile (I don't believe I have used uMatrix except on older versions of PM, and each new install gets a new profile but I import my rules and maybe settings from earlier.) I found the below using the old-fashioned DOS command Find, so that may or may not be the cause:
(in js folder) VAPI-BACKGROUND.JS [360] path2.append('extension-data');
359 let path2 = Services.dirsvc.get('ProfD', Ci.nsIFile);
360 path2.append('extension-data');
361 path2.append(location.host + '.sqlite');