Firewall Confused About Pale Moon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
tinkerer

Firewall Confused About Pale Moon

Unread post by tinkerer » 2019-05-16, 03:41

I remember reading about this problem with other firewalls, but it never happened to me.

I was using an older version of Pale Moon. I uninstalled the old and installed the latest
version (28.5.0). My firewall asked if I wanted to accept the replacement. I clicked the
"Yes" button. The problem is my firewall keeps displaying same message box each time
I run Pale Moon.

Why is my firewall displaying the same message each time I open the latest version of
Pale Moon? This was not a problem with previous versions.

Thehandyman1957

Re: Firewall Confused About Pale Moon

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2019-05-16, 04:56

Gonna need some more information, like what operating system your using, type of
firewall program and perhaps version #. Any other security software?

I use Private Firewall 7.0 and my wife's computer is using Comodo and I
have not seen this issue.

tinkerer

Unread post by tinkerer » 2019-05-18, 04:35

Thanks for replying Thehandyman1957.

My introduction to computers was a project in Popular Electronics magazine. The desktop
or personal computer was at least a decade into the future. I'm trying to say that I've used
computers for many years.

There are fixable software or hardware problems and the other kind that are so quirky and
weird they're never resolved. Usually, a workaround is the best solution. Maybe not ideal,
but it's better than nothing.

I'm going to use a virtual desktop and try a few things like uninstalling and reinstalling
Pale Moon and the firewall. In a virtual environnment you can hack the Registry all you
want. I'll try that too. If nothing works I'll download a replacement firewall.

Hopefully, I'll return to this thread with a solution.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2019-05-18, 05:14

If my firewall wasn't accepting the new Pale Moon, I would just delete the firewall's entry for it then create a new one.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-18, 12:55

Why do you run a software firewall? Are you on a shared connection with others? If not, don't you have a router between you and your modem?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2019-05-18, 17:39

tinkerer wrote:
2019-05-18, 04:35
....If nothing works I'll download a replacement firewall.

Hopefully, I'll return to this thread with a solution.
How about adding the Pale Moon executable (directory path to the PM executable) to your Firewall "exclusions" (white-list)?

.... i.e. similar to what is necessary when using "Hardened Mode" in Avast:
Click to enlarge for better visibility
Click to enlarge for better visibility
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2019-05-18, 19:32

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-05-18, 12:55
Why do you run a software firewall? Are you on a shared connection with others? If not, don't you have a router between you and your modem?
A router is only an inbound firewall. If you want an outbound firewall, you need to get a software firewall.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-18, 19:46

And you need an outbound firewall for what exactly? Don't you know what you are running on your system?

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2019-05-18, 20:28

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-05-18, 19:46
And you need an outbound firewall for what exactly? Don't you know what you are running on your system?
I personally get my internet from my phones hot spot, as that is the only way
to get internet where I live. And since I'm not able to read every line of code
from every piece of software I have, I use a software based firewall. It has
saved me from many issues including junk hidden in my HP printer driver package.

It also gives me the ability to keep certain software from "phoning home" or even
updating, if I like the current version and don't want to be pestered with the constant
nag screens. Just one more notch of control, that's all. ;)

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2019-05-18, 20:34

Unfortunately, these days, an insane amount of Windows processes, installers and software, will connect to the internet without the user's consent.
Filtering outbound traffic isn't only preferable, but is one of the most important privacy/security measures a person can take!

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2019-05-18, 21:14

I don't think anyone needs to justify their use of a software firewall. The issue at hand is this firewall not remembering the update setting, not a debate on the merits of using a software firewall. That said anything beyond generic software firewall support should probably be addressed to support from the company that makes the firewall.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-19, 18:50

Cassette wrote:
2019-05-18, 21:14
The issue at hand is this firewall not remembering the update setting, not a debate on the merits of using a software firewall. That said anything beyond generic software firewall support should probably be addressed to support from the company that makes the firewall.
Exactly. So the question then becomes: Why did you think we would be able to help you with this? Why did you think posting on this forum about it would be a good idea? just on the off chance that someone else is running the exact same configuration and software you are, who is willing to share their solution with you? Not very reliable in that case :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2019-05-19, 19:42

Tomaso wrote:
2019-05-18, 20:34
Unfortunately, these days, an insane amount of Windows processes, installers and software, will connect to the internet without the user's consent.
Filtering outbound traffic isn't only preferable, but is one of the most important privacy/security measures a person can take!
Very well said. It is not just Windows that does that, but sometimes MacOS processes do that as well.

rickmv

Unread post by rickmv » 2019-05-22, 17:00

Knowing the dark internals of the OS and running only self developed software, networking part should not be ignored.

Router SPI firewall is protecting the LAN, software firewall complementary protect the client.

"Here’s a good way to sum up the difference between a hardware and software firewall. Think of a hardware firewall as a club bouncer who checks everyone coming in against a list to make sure they have an invitation. The software firewall, on the other hand, is like a security guard who makes sure nobody snuck in -- and is doing something untoward while inside -- and checks to make sure people aren’t stealing stuff on the way out."

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/router- ... 62131.html

https://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/ ... ftware.htm