Up the learning curve

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

gmaslin

Up the learning curve

Unread post by gmaslin » 2019-05-05, 18:54

I'm a new Palemoon user. I was persuaded to it by the loss of my beloved Firefox extensions in its latest update:
HTTPS Everywhere
uBlock Origin
Privacy Badger
Cookie Auto Delete
Decentraleyes
I'd like to add these extensions to Palemoon but only if they're not redundant or if better addons produce the same functionality.

Thehandyman1957

Re: Up the learning curve

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2019-05-05, 20:30

gmaslin wrote:
2019-05-05, 18:54
I'm a new Palemoon user.
Welcome to the PM community and to the greatest browser in the world! ;)
Yes I'm a bit biased, but it's still true. :mrgreen:

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-05-05, 21:10

For the record: HTTPS Everywhere is often not needed, as Let's Encrypt is taking care of bringing https everywhere (yes, it's a pun), and sites not providing a secure(?) http connection by default are likely to not have a certificate at all, i.e. that extension will not redirect you to the https version as it does not exist for that site.

gmaslin

Unread post by gmaslin » 2019-05-06, 18:49

Thanks guys, everything seemed to install but I guess I need a browser restart for the Badger and Decentraleyes to show up. I noted my updated portable Palemoon browser won't start without the mozilla-glue.dll. Anyone care to explain what's going on there and how to workaround the problem? I went' back to v27.x.

Is "Let's Encrypt" another plugin or part of the Palemoon internal routines?

Also, I followed the privacy.io guidelines for my about:config settings in Firefox. Do I use the same settings with Palemoon or is there a preferred set specific to this browser?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-05-06, 19:13

gmaslin wrote:
2019-05-06, 18:49
I went' back to v27.x.
I hope you started with a fresh profile for v27, or backed up your v28 profile first. Migrating profiles backwards through major releases like this is not supported and can cause issues.
gmaslin wrote:
Is "Let's Encrypt" another plugin or part of the Palemoon internal routines?
Let's Encrypt is a certificate authority that provides signed certificates free of charge, making HTTPS very easy for sites to implement and thus making HTTPS Everywhere less necessary. It is not related to Pale Moon.
gmaslin wrote:
Also, I followed the privacy.io guidelines for my about:config settings in Firefox. Do I use the same settings with Palemoon or is there a preferred set specific to this browser?
The browser's default settings are the recommended settings. Most of the tweaks that privacy.io recommends for Firefox have to do with disabling things that Pale Moon does not have (telemetry, safebrowsing, EME). Some of the other tweaks may result in breaking some websites. Please be careful and know the risks if you choose to modify any of those settings.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-05-06, 23:13

Let's Encrypt provides https to websites as Isengrim said, so to reiterate:
  • Never go back a major version (e.g. from 28 to 27) because things will break mercilessly unless you are using the portable version.
  • If you can't find an alternative to https everywhere it's fine.
  • Never change preferences not listed in the preference window (i.e. don't directly edit about:config) unless you understand what you are doing. Since you are a new user, this means don't touch anything until you have more experience.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2019-05-07, 05:11

gmaslin wrote:
I guess I need a browser restart for the Badger and Decentraleyes to show up.
Don't know about Privacy Badger, but the Decentraleyes version made for Pale Moon doesn't come with a toolbar icon.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-05-07, 10:32

gmaslin wrote:
HTTPS Everywhere
Hyperbola has a fork of HTTPS Everywhere that targets Pale Moon (and other UXP browsers): HTTPS Always.
(also found here)

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2019-05-07, 10:36

coffeebreak wrote:
2019-05-07, 10:32
gmaslin wrote:
HTTPS Everywhere
Hyperbola has a fork of HTTPS Everywhere that targets Pale Moon (and other UXP browsers): HTTPS Always.
(also found here)
Off-topic:
This is also on our add-ons site now: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/https-always/

gmaslin

Unread post by gmaslin » 2019-05-07, 15:31

@LootyHoof @coffebreak
Thanks for the link, the page shows both .asc and .xpi versions of the the addons. Shall I assume the .xpi is the one to install into Palemoon?

@Tomaso
Yes, I've noted that uBlock Origin is the only addon I've installed that shows up as an icon on the right side of the browser window header. About:Addons shows the others installed and the config options for the addons seem operational but it is a little disorienting not having them display.

@vanilla @Isengrim
Yes, I only use portable versions of my browsers on non-Admin accounts so no hardship was evident with a fresh 27.x Palemoon. Thanks for the warning. I'm generally cautious about messing with the plumbing of a program. That's why I started this thread :)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-07, 15:44

You should not be getting extensions from the Hyperbola Wiki.. Unless they are also on our Add-ons Site, you will be cut off from all updates and they haven't yet been reviewed by the Add-ons Team. G4JC is working to bring them to the Allied UXP Applications Add-ons Site by hosting them also on Phoebus.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-05-08, 14:38

gmaslin wrote:
2019-05-07, 15:31
Shall I assume the .xpi is the one to install into Palemoon?
Just to answer your question, the .xpi is the extension's installation file.

When you install from APMO, you won't see ".xpi" on hover, because the site runs a script to get the installation file rather than link to it directly (at least that's how I understand it).

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-05-08, 14:43

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-05-07, 15:44
You should not be getting extensions from the Hyperbola Wiki.. Unless they are also on our Add-ons Site, you will be cut off from all updates and they haven't yet been reviewed by the Add-ons Team. G4JC is working to bring them to the Allied UXP Applications Add-ons Site by hosting them also on Phoebus.
Off-topic:
I'll admit, I'm surprised.

If I'd known that HTTPS Always had just been put on APMO, I would have linked to it earlier rather than to the Hyperbola project.

But with that said, Hyperbola's extensions have been mentioned and linked to a number of times on this forum without evoking such comment. It's the first time I've seen us asked to not use them from the authors' own site, but only from, and if they are on, APMO.

"cut off from all updates"
Well, automatic updates would stop, but updating manually would continue to work fine.

"G4JC is working to bring them to the Allied UXP Applications Add-ons Site by hosting them also on Phoebus."
What does that mean? Is the "the Allied UXP Applications Add-ons Site" itself planned to (eventually) be a separate site?
Or is it conceptual only? Just a way of thinking and describing...?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-08, 20:16

Off-topic:
It was obvious so I didn't think mentioning it was necessary, especially given people's then recent attitude towards me.

As of Phoebus 2.0 the software serves multiple Add-ons Sites for multiple Applications. Currently Pale Moon, Basilisk, and Interlink. The domain name determines which application it serves but Phoebus is a Unified Add-ons Site Software. It shares a single database and datastore so you can target multiple Allied Applications and only need to upload and manage it once (allied is defined as those who follow closely and are involved heavily in platform development and serve their add-ons via our Add-ons Server, http://thereisonlyxul.org/ lists them as either Allied or Non-Aligned.

Hyperbola is considered non-aligned because we are simply an upstream for them. Pale Moon, Basilisk, Ambassador, Interlink and the eventually-to-be-released Borealis are all allied because Moonchild Productions, Binary Outcast and Ascrod all work on our projects but also directly on the Unified XUL Platform as part of primary development. As simply upstream to Hyperbola, they contribute some but it isn't their primary goal to do UXP development its self. They stick to their applications and have their own ways of managing their infra and distribution of things according to their ideals and the FSF restrictions they have agreed to uphold and to be imposed on them.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-05-09, 02:18

Off-topic:
Tobin, thank you for the explanation, and the time that went into it.

gmaslin

Unread post by gmaslin » 2019-05-09, 15:02

In the process of configuring v28 Palemoon-Portable on my laptops, I discovered that a search for uBlock Origin confined to Palemoon addons does NOT show the "uBlock Origin" addon but only the "uBlock Origin Updater". This updater addon doesn't have the configuration options of the addon I installed on my v27 build. Shall I use the Firefox version of the uBlock addon and allow the updater to install it or is there some other way to get it installed/configured?

What is the most favored set of extensions for Palemoon users and what is the rationale for their use?
Last edited by gmaslin on 2019-05-09, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2019-05-09, 15:09

gmaslin wrote:
2019-05-09, 15:02
Shall I use the Firefox version of the uBlock addon
You want this one: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/relea ... -1.16.4.10

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by eskaton » 2019-05-09, 15:10

You must search for the 'legacy' version of uBo. This is the most recent version: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/relea ... -1.16.4.10

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-05-09, 15:13

gmaslin wrote:
2019-05-09, 15:02
What is the most favored set of extensions for Palemoon users and what is the rationale for their use?
Install what you need.
If you don't need extensions, don't install them. Not everyone uses the browser the same way after all.