Request to keep functionality and UI in line with Firefox

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
sdrocking

Request to keep functionality and UI in line with Firefox

Unread post by sdrocking » 2012-01-03, 12:32

There are certain differences between Palemoon and Firefox that I find annoying. I request you to not create this difference by default because whatever is in Firefox is at par with that in other browsers like Chrome and IE, and would make it convenient for users to migrate to Palemoon. Some of these changes are:

a. Default set of buttons and their layout
b. Tabs on top
c. Ctrl+Tab previews
d. New tab insertion after current

There are more such things which you (Moonchild) would be knowing about. I invite other users to share their views on this issue so that we can build a better browser.

I also suggest you to encourage (maybe via Facebook) Palemoon 3.6.* users to move to the newer versions as Firefox will drop it in future, and would save you the trouble of maintaining two browsers.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Request to keep functionality and UI in line with Firefo

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-01-04, 00:46

I suggest you have a read through http://www.palemoon.org/layout-differences.shtml
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

sdrocking

Unread post by sdrocking » 2012-01-04, 07:22

Moonchild wrote:I suggest you have a read through http://www.palemoon.org/layout-differences.shtml
I am not asking about how to revert the changes made by you. I am asking other people's opinions about including these changes in the default Palemoon distribution. Hope we are on the same page.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-01-04, 09:43

sdrocking wrote:I am not asking about how to revert the changes made by you. I am asking other people's opinions about including these changes in the default Palemoon distribution. Hope we are on the same page.
Well, if I read your original post:
There are certain differences between Palemoon and Firefox that I find annoying. I request you to not create this difference by default
then we are not on the same page. You request there to not make changes and keep the Pale Moon defaults (and they are defaults, which you can easily reconfigure if you want) equal to Mozilla's, for which I have explained on the layout differences page why they are different in Pale Moon.

Even if you had worded yourself for what you intended, I still have to remind you that this is not a popularity contest at this point. Pale Moon does not intend to mimic Firefox which is in turn mimicking Chrome. If retraining a few simple things is too difficult and if spending 2 minutes customizing your browser's UI to the way you prefer is too much trouble, then Pale Moon may simply not be right for you.

You have to realize that you cannot create a browser that suits everyone out of the box. The choices for Pale Moon have been made from experience and from user feedback in the earlier stages of development, and it is a set which will remain mostly the same since it works well for most people.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-01-10, 03:42

sdrocking wrote: I am not asking about how to revert the changes made by you. I am asking other people's opinions about including these changes in the default Palemoon distribution. Hope we are on the same page.
Well you want a comment, I'll tell you why I'm involved with Palemoon. For start I think that the Palemoon browser is more useful for my everyday work. Firefox was starting to ask me to change my habits and work for follow "cool and trendy" fashion (personas, mouse gestures, hide the info I need onscreen all time, etc). If wanted Chrome I just use it or if I wanted Firefox I just use it, -I have Firefox and Opera installed too, EDIT: But I use them just when a page needs it, like MSIE. That means less than 0.5% of my time. The point here is that the browser is an application that work for the user, not otherwise. If several people use Palemoon that means that Firefox is doing something wrong. ;)

Trala

Unread post by Trala » 2012-01-10, 05:31

Ha, the buttons and other elements are the first thing I change when I do happen to use Firefox! So my vote is to keep Pale Moon the way it is. Tabs on top are horrible, having buttons all over the place is not convenient, etc. Plus, following this, if you need to make changes to one particular browser anyway, configure Firefox to be like Pale Moon instead ;)

sdrocking

Unread post by sdrocking » 2012-01-10, 05:57

lobocursor wrote:If several people use Palemoon that means that Firefox is doing something wrong. ;)
People use Palemoon not just because it is faster. Many people have a corrupted and bloated Firefox profile - so when they try out a fresh installation of another browser like Chrome or Palemoon they find it better. If they knew how to create a new profile in Firefox, they would see for themselves how good Firefox is. :wave:

Jonatham

Unread post by Jonatham » 2012-01-10, 12:10

sdrocking wrote:
lobocursor wrote:If several people use Palemoon that means that Firefox is doing something wrong. ;)
People use Palemoon not just because it is faster. Many people have a corrupted and bloated Firefox profile - so when they try out a fresh installation of another browser like Chrome or Palemoon they find it better. If they knew how to create a new profile in Firefox, they would see for themselves how good Firefox is. :wave:
So, are you claiming that most Pale Moon users are just people with non-working Firefox in their computers that decided to look for another browser instead to try to fix the Firefox's issues? Don't be yourself so troll :thumbdown:

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-01-10, 16:40

sdrocking wrote:If they knew how to create a new profile in Firefox, they would see for themselves how good Firefox is. :wave:
Yes, that's the problem with the users, they lack some knowledge. That's why we are here to help. Until then, they do have negative remarks for some human error caused on their end, we can't argue about this because they made their decision, but we can try.

When I install FF and PM, I tweak them to settings I see fit, not just default. Then again, we can never please the audience, some have to accept a few things or change them themselves, that's why FF/PM are customizable. :)

a. I can care less since they both are okay, but it's more convenient having them on one side than lurking for the right button.
b. I agree, I like them on-top, it makes my "Tabs always in Titlebar" work.
c. I hardly use this, so I can't be biased.
d. I never noticed this since I use Tabs Mix Plus, but your call not mine.
Last edited by megaman on 2012-01-10, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

sdrocking

Unread post by sdrocking » 2012-01-10, 17:07

Also i would like to mention about the Status-4-evar addon bundled by default. This was required in the earlier version 4 Betas ( :cry: ), i don't understand why we still have it. It definitely adds to the start-up time and performance, not to forget the screen space wasted with the addon bar.

Trala

Unread post by Trala » 2012-01-10, 19:00

Ha, well when I use Firefox, the first thing I do is customize the UI to have all the buttons in one place (left) because it absolutely doesn't make any sense to have buttons in different places. The tabs bar on top, I don't know who came up with that, but to have the tabs bar actually 'connect' to the pages below that those tabs represent, makes more sense to me. But I would say this: if one was going to use both FF and Pale Moon browsers for some reason, and so one of them 'needs' to have the UI changed around, in my book it would definitely be Firefox's UI that would get the make-over. Of course, there is some developer-prerogative always, and I guess I'm just glad I'm on the same page as the Pale Moon developers on this issue ;) The "Organize Bookmarks" in Pale Moon also makes way more sense than the "Show All Bookmarks" in Firefox, as PM's designation describes the functionality of clicking on that better than FF's designation. Some things are subjective, yes, other things just make more sense across the board. Personally I find Pale Moon much more useable out of the box that Firefox.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-01-10, 19:59

sdrocking wrote:Also i would like to mention about the Status-4-evar addon bundled by default. This was required in the earlier version 4 Betas ( :cry: ), i don't understand why we still have it. It definitely adds to the start-up time and performance, not to forget the screen space wasted with the addon bar.
People want the status as it was on 3.6, it might be minimal with it integrated into the browser, maybe disabling will recover any performance detained with it enabled.

Once again, it goes down to favoritism, I favor it and want it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-01-12, 10:53

A final warning to sdrocking: If you are here to write incendiary posts (second offense now) then I kindly request you take your displeased self elsewhere. If you don't like Pale Moon, and want everything like Firefox or Chrome, then you can stop using Pale Moon and use either of those browsers.

Locking this topic.