New app icon/logo?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.

New app icon/logo?

Poll ended at 2019-06-02, 16:13

Yes!
21%
No, it's fine.
79%

Total votes: 43

browser tech

New app icon/logo?

Unread post by browser tech » 2019-05-03, 16:13

Love the new "About Pale Moon" background!

Now all that's needed is an update to the boring Pale Moon app and new tab icon. Maybe a stylized crescent moon would be cool... in a glowing yellow/green color, (pale blue is a kind of sad color).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: New app icon/logo?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-03, 17:17

browser tech wrote:
2019-05-03, 16:13
in a glowing yellow/green color, (pale blue is a kind of sad color).
... it's "Pale Moon", y'know. How does glowing yellow/green match that?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-05-03, 17:49

browser tech wrote:
the boring Pale Moon app and new tab icon
I can't agree with that.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-03, 18:59

You do realize if it gets changed it will be the artwork moon right?

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2019-05-04, 06:28

I always though an anthropomorphic logo would be neat. The logo could be a cartoon pale moon with eyes, a nose, and a smiling mouth.

Kind of like this, but a moon rather than a baseball:

It'd give the logo some personality that people can feel good about and get attached to. Its a logo that would jump out to anyone looking at a computer desktop.

One thing I used to really like about Firefox's logo was that the fox and the earth used to be more in what represented (the fox seemed like a mascot and the earth seemed to suggest possibilities and horizons). Now its more of a swirl surrounding a blue ball- you can only just barely tell what each are supposed to be. They've floated future possibilities that are even more abstract and impersonal.

Maybe Pale Moon could consider going against the grain and becoming more tangible and personal logo wise. It could even intentially add depth to flaunt the material design type flat logos that are in vogue.

There's nothing wrong with the current logo, and I wouldn't change it *just* to change it. It depends on what the alternatives are. I like my idea. I can't draw well, though, so if its approved the Pale Moon team would probably have to do it, or find a volunteer. I'm happy to grant permission to do so if its even necessary to do so. I think it'd look neat on my desktop.

The moon looks like a moon, so it has that going for it (Unlike Firefox's current "earth"), but relative to Firefox, the lack of a fox has always made it seem a bit less personal. Anthropomorphizing the moon itself rather than adding a wrap-around animal would create the same positive associations as the old Firefox logo had without copying it or being derivative in any way.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-04, 08:25

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-05-03, 18:59
You do realize if it gets changed it will be the artwork moon right?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-05-04, 14:46

browser tech wrote:
Now all that's needed is an update to the boring Pale Moon app and new tab icon. Maybe a stylized crescent moon would be cool... in a glowing yellow/green color, (pale blue is a kind of sad color).
With the above description, I'm having visions in my mind of a garish looking Pale Moon. So I will vote to keep the default.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-04, 16:27

browser tech wrote:
in a glowing yellow/green color, (pale blue is a kind of sad color).
no, just no.png
no, just no.png (230.48 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
:think: :eh: :think: :lol:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-04, 16:29

Perfect. I will be glad to see this revitalized branding in the next major version, Moonchild!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-04, 16:39

2019-05-04, 16:29
Perfect. I will be glad to see this revitalized branding in the next major version, Moonchild!
Done!
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... 352a9fad36

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-05-04, 17:27

Moonchild wrote:
2019-05-04, 16:39
2019-05-04, 16:29
Done!
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... 352a9fad36
To quote from the first Harry Potter movie when Harry visits Ollivander's to get his first wand;.........."No, no DEFINITELY not". ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRqY1nxGGE4
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-04, 18:21

Except, yes. This is the new Pale Moon logo. Deal with it.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2019-05-04, 18:39

LOL! Not many people get to look at my browser icon anyway, but now I wouldn't want them to.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-05-04, 21:29

2019-05-04, 18:21
Except, yes. This is the new Pale Moon logo. Deal with it.
I was referring to the glowing yellow green colored garish looking pale moon cartoon like character, with eyes, nose and mouth, that Moonchild created.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-04, 22:02

We all were referring to that.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-05-04, 23:34

I'm assuming you guys are joking, right?

EDIT
I just noticed the poll. Just to be clear, "Yes" means go with the new logo, and "No" means stick with the old?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-05, 01:32

We always want to listen to users.. So why do you think we are joking? Though, more work is needed to update the rest of the branding files. Linux and Mac as well as related assets.

Users also want us to be quick responding so Moonchild thought just getting the main icon done today would show our commitment to prompt changes the userbase wants since our detractors love to claim otherwise.

Konrad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Konrad » 2019-05-05, 04:36

ron_1 wrote:
2019-05-04, 23:34
I just noticed the poll. Just to be clear, "Yes" means go with the new logo, and "No" means stick with the old?
I also find the options of the poll somewhat confusing. I understand it as follows:
“Yes!” — I would like to see a new version of the icon/logo; it does not exist yet and should be created.
“No, it's fine.” — I like the icon/logo that we see today.

I voted for the second answer: “No, it's fine.”

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2019-05-05, 05:56

So it's actuality changing... hopefully not this:
browser tech wrote:
...in a glowing yellow/green color, (pale blue is a kind of sad color).
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2019-05-05, 10:41

We got a few more votes for the "New" option now. I think people are liking this icon more. Wow!
This really shows Moonchild and team's commitment to users. And I just can't stop laughing. :lol: :lol: :lol: