Can't edit omni.ja

General project discussion.
Use this as a last resort if your topic does not fit in any of the other boards but it still on-topic.
Forum rules
This General Discussion board is meant for topics that are still relevant to Pale Moon, web browsers, browser tech, UXP applications, and related, but don't have a more fitting board available.

Please stick to the relevance of this forum here, which focuses on everything around the Pale Moon project and its user community. "Random" subjects don't belong here, and should be posted in the Off-Topic board.
John connor

Can't edit omni.ja

Unread post by John connor » 2019-05-03, 03:06

I have done this numerous times. I unpacked the file using Windows Zip, edited the files I wanted and repacked with 7Z as a zip and renamed to a .ja. Now no matter what compression method I use in 7Z or Windows Zip it's like the archive isn't taking anymore.

What has happened?

I tried Windows Zip, Deflate, Bzip2, LZMA, PPMd and Deflate64.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Can't edit omni.ja

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-03, 03:13

You shouldn't be editing omnija.. Why are you?

More to the point, why the hell do you think you are entited to any support for doing this or using the result of it?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-03, 08:03

F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-05-03, 03:06
What has happened?
The .ja file is a custom format. it's -not- a regular archive, and compatibility with packers is not and has never been guaranteed.

On top, if you edited omni.ja with an archiver you basically destroyed its optimized indexing for browser use.
Don't mess with omnijars, please.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jars_
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by jars_ » 2019-05-03, 12:22

TotalCommander + pluggins: Total7zip & TotalObserver - many years no problem with omni.ja. and more different archives.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-03, 12:23

The .ja file is a custom format. it's -not- a regular archive!

If you edited omni.ja with an archiver (no matter which one) you basically destroyed its optimized indexing for browser use when you re-packed edited files.
Don't mess with omnijars, please.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-05-03, 16:36

I just knew I'd be told that. Truth of the matter is I've been editing a few things in omni.ja since like last 7 versions ago and have had no trouble at all. I know about the optimization.

I really don't want to download the source from Github and recompile with Visual Studio just to change the about:palemoon and the logo in the middle of a tab. That's all I do.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-05-03, 16:47

If you really need this, then instead of editing the file in omni.ja, you can simply substitute it with a simple extension. In this case, you do not have to re-do this change every time you update your browser.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-05-03, 17:07

Should or should not aside...

7-zip has long not handled "mozilla" .ja.
Unzip should (but even that will return a warning).

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-03, 18:58

Fuck sakes. I KNEW it would be something utterly retarded.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-05-03, 19:23

F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-05-03, 16:36
I really don't want to download the source from Github and recompile with Visual Studio just to change the about:palemoon and the logo in the middle of a tab. That's all I do.
I used to have my homepage set to about:blank and then just have the browser open my home page on start and on new tab. This might work for you, unless you want your home page to not be about:blank.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-03, 19:28

And why on earth would you change about:palemoon which is a semi-public easter egg?

Make an extension and you can add your own about: page if that's what you want.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-05-03, 19:51

I think they meant the about:logopage page. That's what I assume, anyway.
a.k.a. Ascrod
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-05-04, 23:56

I went to get Visual Studio 2015 and I wasn't able to download it. M$ says it isn't there. Where is the community version?

I'd like to try and compile PM myself as a learning thing.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-04, 23:57

F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-05-04, 23:56
I went to get Visual Studio 2015 and I wasn't able to download it. M$ says it isn't there. Where is the community version?
https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/older-downloads/

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-05-06, 04:59

Yeah, that's where I went and when I signed in to download it they said it wasn't available.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-06, 13:16

F22 Simpilot wrote:
2019-05-06, 04:59
Yeah, that's where I went and when I signed in to download it they said it wasn't available.
No problem here.
Attachments
vs2015download1.png

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-05-07, 01:56

Interesting. I don't know if it's my account or what. I'll try again latter and see what happens.

Now which one should I download if I do get that page?

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2019-05-07, 02:50

Try sorting on publication date :)
You'll want Visual Studio Community 2015 with the latest update rolled in.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2019-05-07, 07:47

And this is the crap I get.

Do I need to create that other damn account as well as having my M$ account or what?

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-05-07, 08:01

Yeah, apparently you need an MSDN or Dev Essentials account now to download 2015.

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/s ... al-studio/

Sucks that they've shoved all that behind a login wall. IIRC it didn't used to be this way. :?
a.k.a. Ascrod