captchas, captchas everywhere

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

captchas, captchas everywhere

Unread post by cartel » 2019-05-02, 07:40

This new version is triggering captchas all over the place

https://www6.putlockertv.to/
https://projectftv.com/

I never seen captchas there before.
Last edited by cartel on 2019-05-02, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: captchas, captchas everywhere

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-05-02, 08:17

It would help if you would list the links to where these places are.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

shevy

Unread post by shevy » 2019-05-02, 10:19

He did not even have time to end his sentence with a '.'. :)

I'll improve his sentence for him ... :P

"This new version is triggering captchas all over the place."

There you go!

On a side note, I guess that report is pretty useless since individual behaviour may be very different. For example, the
amount of websites that I visit in, say, a single week, is probably less than 0.5%. The only two that come to my mind
is registration to some forum websites; and some login-detector ... which is quite rare too for me to even want to
use in the first place (I may try to solve a captcha on a first run, but if I have to re-do then it even wastes more of my
time so I tend to instantly close the tab and move on to do other things instead.)

Herb_

Unread post by Herb_ » 2019-05-02, 11:25

And I work out the problem:

This site endlessly asks now for captcha verification loops, which definitely are not working correct. I was just about to delete the bookmark and the stored passwords. It is plain anoying! :thumbdown:

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-05-02, 12:39

@ Herb_

I just logged out of the Pale Moon forum site "twice" and then logged back in using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.5.0 running in 64 bit bit linux Mint 19.1 (Tessa) Xfce and then using 32 bit windows Pale Moon 28.5.0 running in 64 bit Windows 7, SP1.

In both instances, I didn't encounter any captcha verification. The only addons/extensions I'm currently using are NoSquint and uBlock Origin. So I have a hunch the problem is not with Pale Moon, but on your end someplace.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-02, 14:19

"Oh noes, a new version of the browser which Google servers haven't seen before trigger captchas because it is an 'unknown' browser".

Totally expected, to be honest. Just wait until they have enough user profiles with that browser version collected in their data store and it will become less. Until the next version update of course.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2019-05-02, 14:40

cartel wrote:
2019-05-02, 07:40
Not for me. ReCAPTCHA went right to a green check for me.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-05-02, 14:45

cartel wrote:
2019-05-02, 07:40
Nope, not here. Haven't seen a single one since I updated.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2019-05-02, 17:52

you have to click around a bit.
What if I pissed off google, is this how life will be, captcha'd out of every site like they own it?
sorry I fell asleep last night I didn't post a link,.
ImageImage

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2019-05-02, 20:48

Also Ebay is wanting security questions on every login.
I have none though but it wants me to.

Dont take this the wrong way, PM has been really great, I'm very happy to see guts being torn out and removed.
PM has been quick and reliable I install it for everyone I care about.

God Bless
ImageImage

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-05-02, 20:54

cartel wrote:
2019-05-02, 17:52
Considering this has been my main browser for daily usage for five straight days, I already have been clicking around a bit.
cartel wrote:
2019-05-02, 20:48
Again, nope, not seeing that here.

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2019-05-02, 20:59

Nigaikaze wrote:
2019-05-02, 20:54
cartel wrote:
2019-05-02, 17:52
Considering this has been my main browser for daily usage for five straight days, I already have been clicking around a bit.
cartel wrote:
2019-05-02, 20:48
Again, nope, not seeing that here.
You have made security questions on your ebay account?
ImageImage

cartel
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by cartel » 2019-05-03, 03:44

ImageImage

Herb_

Unread post by Herb_ » 2019-05-03, 04:57

The captcha itself is not the problem, the number of cycles I had to go through to login again was heavily frustrating. And of course you make typos and mistakes and become restless when it doesn't work in the first place.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-03, 08:31

That isn't Google's captcha...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-03, 08:37

OK, so let's cut a few things short, shall we?
  • If you are using "privacy enhancing" extensions, it may make you look like a bot, and cause captchas.
  • If you randomize your user agent, it may make you look like a bot, and cause captchas.
  • If you block JavaScript in whole or in part, it may make you look like a bot, and cause captchas. This is a big marker for many anti-bot checks because bot clients tend to be very rudimentary and don't support JS.
  • If you use public proxies, pseudo-VPN or anonymity networks, it may make you look like a bot, and cause captchas.
If any of the above apply to you, then don't blame anyone but yourself.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2019-05-03, 19:54

Pretty sure this basically boils down to a fundamental question: how do you uniquely identify a browser on a device? The answer is that you don't because that's called "tracking" and it's been a big thing to try to stop it. So how do websites "remember" you? They usually use your IP address and your User Agent. So what happens when you update your browser and the version number changes? If the programmer is smart and also knows the format of your user agent, they ignore the version numbers that change over time and assume the rest of the agent data is unique enough to identify a user on a device. If that information doesn't fall into the way the programmer expects versioning to work, if they handle it in specific ways instead of allowing dynamic setups, or if they just check the User Agent string without any changes, then literally every single time you update your browser, it will end up thinking you're a different user and prompt you with captchas, 2-factor authentications, or whatever other security measures the site in question may implement to protect themselves and/or you. In other words, this is par for the course.

GerryB

Unread post by GerryB » 2019-05-13, 02:19

I've no objection to the captchas that display one or two random, twisted text strings and ask you to type them in. The ones I hate are those childish "find in picture" puzzles that tease you by repeating the sequence with different objects to find, even if you got the first sequence correct. This evening I spent at least 5 minutes on one of those puzzles, trying to submit a question about a product I was looking for. I was supposed to receive an automatic confirmation e-mail with the text of my query, but so far it hasn't arrived, so that company has likely lost a customer. :x

Unfortunately, I've sometimes found it absolutely necessary to visit a site that uses annoying captchas, so boycotting it was out of the question -- a login concerning a hotel reservation, for example.

Anyway, I haven't encountered more captchas using Pale Moon than I did when I used to use Chrome.

gmaslin

Unread post by gmaslin » 2019-05-15, 18:20

How do you know which version of Palemoon you're running? On the issue of fingerprinting you; the poisoning bit doesn't seem to do anything about your history and bookmarks. When I open the browser, I get targeted content and I'm not comfortable with that, should I be? I want to obfuscate my identity as much as possible so pm me your method and the rationale so I can choose a strategy.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-05-15, 18:29

gmaslin wrote:
2019-05-15, 18:20
How do you know which version of Palemoon you're running?
Help > About Pale Moon

or

Help > Troubleshooting Information