Recently getting second browser close prompt for PMv 28.4

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Recently getting second browser close prompt for PMv 28.4

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2019-02-22, 22:56

I have PM setup to always get this expected prompt ONLY when closing Pale Moon v28.4:
normal closing prompt.png
... But recently (2x's so far) I've been also getting this second prompt after the first expected prompt:
getting this second prompt the past two days occassionally.png
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Recently getting second browser close prompt for PMv 28.4

Unread post by therube » 2019-02-23, 00:44

What is your about:config setting for, browser.warnOnQuit ?

If you restart in Safe Mode, then Quit, do you still get a double prompt?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2019-02-23, 01:12

therube wrote:What is your about:config setting for, browser.warnOnQuit ?
Yes, that's why I get the expected three choice prompt (which I've always been getting) for years.
therube wrote:If you restart in Safe Mode, then Quit, do you still get a double prompt?
This behavior is random and has only occurred twice in the past 3 days during which time I've loaded the browser dozens of times -- so the frequency of occurrence is rather low hence I'd have to run in "Safe Mode" for several days to test out this question.

Considering it's a rather minor annoyance -- I can live with it....
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2019-04-14, 16:34

therube wrote:If you restart in Safe Mode, then Quit, do you still get a double prompt?
Pale Moon Rising wrote:This behavior is random and has only occurred twice in the past 3 days during which time I've loaded the browser dozens of times -- so the frequency of occurrence is rather low hence I'd have to run in "Safe Mode" for several days to test out this question.

Considering it's a rather minor annoyance -- I can live with it....
Update: Hadn't happened again until today ~50 days hence -- so as stated it's an extremely rare issue. :o (and clearly not something that can be tested in a practical way :think:)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-04-14, 23:21

They are 2 different dialogs for 2 different cases.
1 is for saving your session or not.
1 is for closing a window with multiple tabs (In this case you likely had a second window with multiple tabs open)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2019-04-15, 00:35

^ thanks for the reply -- I can't recall how or why I'd ever have a second Pale Moon instance (window) open -- but I tried this opening a "New Window" so that I have a second instance of Pale Moon and I find that clicking on the red "X" for either of the two instances I will get the "You are about to close 999 tabs. Are you sure you want to close them?" and then after clicking on the red "X" for the second Pale Moon instance I'll then get the other dialogue with the 3 buttons "Save and Quit", "Quit" or "Cancel". The dialogues occur in that order and requires my pressing the red "X" for each browser instance.

So to be clear, one dialogue is for one Pale Moon instance and the other dialogue is for the other instance and I have to close one instance of Pale Moon before I'll get the other prompt when closing the second instance of Pale Moon -- which is not what I'm describing....

What is occurring in my case is that I'm getting both dialogues one after the other (with only my replying to the first dialogue that is the intervening action taken) and in the different sequence as referenced in my original post which is different than described above and I'm not closing (i.e. clicking on a red "X") in-between the two dialogues.

To put it another way -- when I have two windows (two instances of Pale Moon, if I understand you correctly) then I have to close the second instance of Pale Moon to get the second prompt instead of what I get which is one dialogue after the other (with the only intervening action taken by me is a response to the first dialogue to get to the second dialogue).

To hopefully clarify in more detail to avoid any confusion I'm causing -- instead of what occurs with two instances of Pale Moon, what I get first is after clicking on the red "X" button to close the browser I get the dialogue with the 3 buttons ("Save and Quit", "Quit" and "Cancel") and then after responding to that dialogue (i.e. selecting "Quit") I will then get the "You are about to close 999 tabs...." dialogue and I'm not closing a second window (browser instance) in-between.

As previously mentioned, this extremely rare event may possibly be caused by an extension but due to the scarcity of the event there is no conceivable way to test for it unfortunately. :(

Galaxy
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Galaxy » 2019-04-15, 23:51

I cannot confirm the problem you're having, however if I set browser.showQuitWarning to false (default), then I get the following 'Confirm close' dialogue which is quite different from the dialogue you got. This shows that there are at least two 'Confirm close' dialogues that pop up in Pale Moon for multiple tabs. I'm not sure what set of circumstances would trigger your 'Confirm close' dialogue to pop up rather than the one I got.
ConfirmClose_cr.png

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2019-04-16, 00:13

^ Thanks for the reply,

The browser.showQuitWarning set to false (default) will not give you the "Save and Quit" and "Quite" options -- since I prefer this dialogue I have this pref set to "True" to get the results I want in regards to my first screen-shot.

By setting this pref to the default "False" you will get what you got in your screen-shot (which is the default dialogue when closing Pale Moon) instead of what I get.

In my case the first dialog that I get is what I should be getting based on my "True" value for this pref -- the second prompt (that occurs very rarely in my case) I should not get and as far as I can tell is apparently a very rare random anomaly that occurs in my case when closing one instance of Pale Moon (and because it is a such a scarce occurrence can't be expected to be confirmed). And as I've pointed out as well -- due to the scarcity of this apparent anomaly testing for add-on causation cannot be tested as well unfortunately.