Laggy and Slow

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
1Prad

Laggy and Slow

Unread post by 1Prad » 2019-04-03, 20:25

The browser is superb in terms of newness and security. But the browser is very laggy and slow, even good websites like youtube is taking 5 seconds to refresh and load new page. It is so frustrating.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Laggy and Slow

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-04-04, 00:34

I'm on YouTube a lot. When I'm on YouTube, I do lots of searching for specific things. I find there is no lag when I'm using YouTube. Going to YT from another site, the YT side is fully loaded in about one (1) second of time. If I have to refresh a page or go back a page using the Back button, there is no lag.

The above happens whether I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.4.1 running in 64 bit linux MInt 19.1 (Tessa) Xfce or if I'm using 32 bit windows Pale Moon 28.4.1 running in 64 bit Windows 7 (Home Premium or Ultimate) SP1.

The only addons I use are NoSquint and uBlock Origin in linux Pale Moon and I don't use an anti-virus in linux Mint. I use the same addons for windows Pale Moon with the only caveat, I use free Avast as my anti-virus. In both browsers, the user agent for YouTube is Firefox Compatibility mode. Hardware Acceleration is turned off too.

So what addons are you using? And if you've already checked them, have you tried making a brand new "clean" profile and then using Pale Moon?
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-04-04, 00:49

1Prad wrote:The browser is superb in terms of newness and security. But the browser is very laggy and slow, even good websites like youtube is taking 5 seconds to refresh and load new page. It is so frustrating.
If you would like assistance in resolving this, please include the additional information specified here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

1Prad

Unread post by 1Prad » 2019-04-04, 01:25

I have one add on, u block origin
Last edited by 1Prad on 2019-04-04, 02:37, edited 1 time in total.

1Prad

Unread post by 1Prad » 2019-04-04, 02:37

I found the real culprit. the real reson for the browser's lagginess is the add on which I am using. I am using ublock origin. I changed it to adblock latitude which was specifically created for palemoon and everything is working just fine. I am sorry Palemoon :)

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-04-04, 12:40

Which is odd, because I use uBlock Origin and I'm not experiencing any lag or slowness at all.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-04-04, 13:02

And I'm also using uBlock Origin 1.16.4.10 and I'm not experiencing any problems with either linux or windows Pale Moon 28.4.1 when using YouTube.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2019-04-04, 17:04

I do not have slowness with ublock too, is it possible 1Prad has ublock somehow messed. Try new profile and install newest ublock.

Splat
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Splat » 2019-04-08, 20:08

Youtube and any Google related sites seem to load very slowly, if at all, unless I use Chrome. Doesn't matter which ad blocker I use.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-04-08, 21:11

Splat wrote:Youtube and any Google related sites seem to load very slowly, if at all, unless I use Chrome. Doesn't matter which ad blocker I use.
There shouldn't be any issues loading Google-related sites in Pale Moon (so the "if at all" statement is a little peculiar, and might needs some further investigation), but ultimately Google-related sites are Designed For Chrome, Google's own browser. Any interoperational and performance issues with those sites on non-Chrome/Chromium browsers will not easily be acknowledged let alone addressed by Google for obvious reasons.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-04-08, 21:13

Splat wrote:Youtube and any Google related sites seem to load very slowly, if at all, unless I use Chrome. Doesn't matter which ad blocker I use.
The question still remains which you haven't given an answer to with my first comment in this thread. Did you make a clean new profile, without any customizations or any extensions and then tried using Pale Moon with YouTube.

BTW, I have no problems with Google or any Google related sites when using either linux or windows Pale Moon (28.4.1).

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2019-04-09, 05:29

I don't do Google, but I go to YouTube a lot and have no trouble loading the site or playing any videos. Also, no problem with sites in general.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

Splat
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Splat » 2019-04-11, 21:08

Moonchild wrote:
There shouldn't be any issues loading Google-related sites in Pale Moon (so the "if at all" statement is a little peculiar, and might needs some further investigation), but ultimately Google-related sites are Designed For Chrome, Google's own browser. Any interoperational and performance issues with those sites on non-Chrome/Chromium browsers will not easily be acknowledged let alone addressed by Google for obvious reasons.
Shouldn't be, but there is and it's been increasingly slower to load for many months now. I don't know if you've seen my other thread about slowness and pages not loading but I did create new profile, did all that t/s, and Google sites still load very slow, if at all. That also happens when I use Opera or Vivaldi with Google sites. Yet, using Chrome those same sites load quickly, every time.

So in PM I type in "Google.com" without the quotes in the address bar, hit Enter key and I'll get the rotating circle and "Connecting..." in the tab title and either the page I was on reloads or I get a blank page with the page I was on URL in address bar OR Google.com will actually load but more often I get the previously mentioned results. Same thing with Youtube. FWIW, here's a little light reading on that topic. http://tinyurl.com/ybmdulz8 I love Pale Moon and have been using it for many a year now, almost since its first release. I've tried others and keep coming back. Moonchild, thank you for Pale Moon. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-04-11, 23:05

It’s part of Google’s anti-competitive practice (“DO evil”) as they build *their* version of the web.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2019-04-12, 11:54

Splat wrote: ... So in PM I type in "Google.com" without the quotes in the address bar, hit Enter key and I'll get the rotating circle and "Connecting..." in the tab title and either the page I was on reloads or I get a blank page with the page I was on URL in address bar OR Google.com will actually load but more often I get the previously mentioned results...
In PM (stable and unstable) and Basilisk, I type in "Google.com" without the quotes in the address bar, hit Enter key, and in all three cases I get Google in a zillionth of a second.

What am I doing wrong? ;)

P.S. Could being in Germany have something to do with it? :lol:
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

Splat
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Splat » 2019-04-12, 23:50

JoeyG wrote:In PM (stable and unstable) and Basilisk, I type in "Google.com" without the quotes in the address bar, hit Enter key, and in all three cases I get Google in a zillionth of a second. What am I doing wrong? ;) P.S. Could being in Germany have something to do with it? :lol:

It's all your fault JoeyG. Now we know who to blame! ;) :D

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2019-04-13, 00:17

Splat wrote:It's all your fault JoeyG. Now we know who to blame! ;) :D
I wanted to try it on YouTube, too, but all the seats were taken.
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2019-04-13, 01:07

JoeyG wrote:
Splat wrote:It's all your fault JoeyG. Now we know who to blame! ;) :D
I wanted to try it on YouTube, too, but all the seats were taken.
I can confirm that here in AZ it takes just a bit longer, maybe a millionth of a second
for http://www.google.com to load from the address bar.
Aaaarg :sick: , man I don't miss that ugly page, thank you DDG. :thumbup:
Off-topic:
By the way, is that a NEC Mulitsync monitor I see on the right? :think:

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2019-04-13, 02:23

Actually, there are 3 NECs in the pic: a 241 SpectraView, a PA272W, and a PA241W.

I do some translating, and the real estate really speeds up the workflow.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2019-04-13, 03:56

JoeyG wrote:Actually, there are 3 NECs in the pic: a 241 SpectraView, a PA272W, and a PA241W.

I do some translating, and the real estate really speeds up the workflow.
Off-topic:
That's a very nice set. I have the NEC Multisync 2490WUXi. Best monitor I have ever had. ;)