Adblock Latitude [Releases]

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Adblock Latitude [Releases]

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-03-13, 20:58

Fair enough, but you brought it up so I was reminding you.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2019-03-13, 21:15

I would use something else, if I knew it does the same thing, and does it just as well or better.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-03-13, 21:18

KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:I would use something else, if I knew it does the same thing, and does it just as well or better.
Ublock origin more or less does both jobs in one and i don't know why you removed it.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-03-13, 21:28

Off-topic:
KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:Well, consider me educated. Guess protection is what NoSripts are all about.

Yes, you should use what you want.

But for info: uMatrix (see wiki) / eMatrix; and uBlock used with dynamic filtering (must enable advanced features) are also about protection.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2019-03-13, 21:30

Because I wanted the CPU usage to go down, and the lag to go away. I thought If I used a PaleMoon specific add-on, the browser would be more healthy.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-13, 21:43

Off-topic:
KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:I use what I want.
You'll just have to understand the consequences of using what you want. For NoScript this means we will no longer provide support/help you with any issues you have with the browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-03-13, 21:50

Off-topic:
FWIW, I stopped using NoScript a while ago and use uBlock Origin to block 3rd party scripts and frames. You have to tick the box "I am an advanced user" under Settings. Works just as well as NoScript without the issues NoScript causes.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2019-03-13, 23:14

Off-topic:
I'll try uBlock in Advanced Mode one of these days.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-03-14, 07:04

Please move any further discussion not directly related to ABL and its releases to its own thread, thank you.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2019-04-16, 11:46

Adblock Plus filter exploit to run arbitrary code discovered:
https://www.ghacks.net/2019/04/16/adblo ... iscovered/
The exploit uses a filter option called $rewrite that Adblock Plus supports to inject arbitrary code in web pages.
The extension uBlock Origin is not affected by the issue as it does not support $rewrite.
Guess both ABL and ABPrime are affected by this.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-04-16, 12:51

Tomaso wrote:Guess both ABL and ABPrime are affected by this.
Not necessarily, if they were forked at a point prior to support for $rewrite being added. We would need verification from Moonchild & Tobin on that.

EDIT: Actually, it's very likely that ABL and ABPrime are not affected. Support for the $rewrite filter option was added to Adblock Plus in version 3.2, and ABL/ABPrime were originally forked from earlier versions (in the 2.4-2.6 range, IIRC).

EDIT #2: After doing a quick search of the repositories for both extensions, I'm not seeing any references to $rewrite in the code. That's a good sign.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-04-16, 13:08

Tomaso wrote:Guess both ABL and ABPrime are affected by this.
They are not.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2019-04-16, 13:22

Moonchild wrote:They are not.
:thumbup:

--

EDIT:
As it turns out, gorhill forsaw this problem almost a year ago:
https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uBlock- ... -391303700
That's why he refused to implement the $rewrite syntax in uBO!

frmariam
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by frmariam » 2019-05-01, 14:13

Hi there.
I´ve been using a combo of ABL (before was using ABP) + ABP element hiding helper + ABP pop-up addon for many years now.

ABP element hiding helper makes easier to select elements to hide but was abandoned.
https://adblockplus.org/elemhidehelper

ABP pop-up addon seems to improve the capabilities of ABL / ABP to block advert pop-ups without impacting PM performance (or at least it's my subjective impression).
Development stopped quite a bit before Mozilla abandoning the old (better) extensions for FF.
http://jessehakanen.net/adblockpluspopupaddon/

Do you consider these features worth adding to ABL, out-of-the-box?
I think it adds some functionality and it would future-proof these functions.

Best regards

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-01, 14:24

Why not fork them and submit them to the Add-ons Site.. For the second one, see if the developer will be kind enough to return a response this time.

PhotoBoothe

Re: Adblock Latitude [Releases] (Where's the darn button?)

Unread post by PhotoBoothe » 2019-07-01, 23:48

How in the name of all that's holy do I get the ABL "button" to show - somewhere, anywhere...? (I don't care if it's top right or bottom left, hah!)
It is not showing in the items available through the customize menu.
I never was able to get the add-on bar to display in Pale Moon - now it looks like they've done away with that anyways...? I'd gripe about the add-ons bar apparently going away, but I guess that's a separate topic. Starting to wish I treated PM the same as I'd been doing with Firefox and refused to update, but too late for that I guess.
I've found a couple old threads on that ABL button subject, but they all concern older versions of both PM and ABL, and they're annoyingly locked, so I couldn't request an updated answer there... (I have PM 28.5.2 and ABL 5.0.)
I have tried accessing ABL "options" through the add-ons manager and cannot find anything along the lines of a whitelist or "disable on this site" menu there.
Thank you...!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-02, 10:34

I'm not entirely sure why you are so upset -- the status bar/add-on bar hasn't gone anywhere and won't go anywhere. Perhaps you have inadvertently disabled its display (from the menu or with Ctrl+/). ABL will have its icon either on that bar or in the main navigation toolbar by default.

context
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by context » 2019-07-03, 00:29

@PhotoBoothe, that's quite a splash into the forum pool for your first post!

For you and others who might not connect the dots on their first attempt, an easy way to get to ABL features is from an icon on the status bar:
Status bar settings.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-10-12, 14:28

Adblock Latitude has been updated to v5.0.2!

This adds a brand new filter subscription in the quick-select menu that is maintained by yours truly. It also moves EasyList, which has been less effective due to their insistence on rewriting rules to using ABP features ABL doesn't support, to the background (you can still add it by selecting "add other").

No other changes were made and existing subscriptions will remain in effect, of course.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-10-12, 22:47

To keep further announcements clear and this thread clean of off-topic comments, a request:
This is intended to be a release announcement thread only, and maybe some related feedback directly applicable to the topic/release at hand.
If you want to discuss anything else around ABL or, as the case may be, sideways related OTHER ad blockers, please do so in a different thread. Any off-topic posts here may be deleted henceforth.