Trying to get uMatrix on the UXP add-on site

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Trying to get uMatrix on the UXP add-on site

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-02-19, 23:22

(To those bothered by the thread title: "UXP add-on site" is just a shorthand for the sites served by Phoebus, since not everyone might be familiar with that technology for one reason or another.)

Getting uMatrix always means getting through hoops and difficulties, because it can't be obtained from the official add-on site.
I forked uMatrix 1.3.something, changed its name and even the copyright notices.
Before submitting it to the site(s), I need help with a few things:
  • Is this enough to get it to the site without having to pass through Raymond Hill first?
  • I need someone to check if it works on Basilisk to that I can submit it there too.
  • Other comments are appreciated in general.
I'm not ready to take over completely yet, so bugfixes and whatnot will have to wait, but if I can submit it, at the very least we can install it without having to look for archives or build it ourselves.

The fork's repository is here: https://gitlab.com/vannilla/ematrix
and you can grab the XPI for testing here: https://gitlab.com/vannilla/ematrix/upl ... Matrix.xpi

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Trying to get uMatrix on the UXP add-on site

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-02-20, 10:31

vannilla wrote:
  • Other comments are appreciated in general.

Thank you for undertaking this.

I'm seeing the following issue (PM 28.4, Win 7 x86, fresh profile where uMatrix was never installed and no settings were imported):

The eMatrix popup goes blank on certain sites after a few minutes of browsing,
and can only be restored by restarting the browser.

Specifically, this has happened on amazon.com and youtube.com
(sites that have numerous requests from multiple domains, i.e. where the popup needs to quickly get large, at least that's how I interpret it).
amazon.com
eM-blank-popup-amz.png
youtube.com
eM-blank-popup-yt.png
I've reproduced the issue several times on both sites:
  • Open the "heavy" site (amazon, youtube) and browse for about five minutes (open a few tabs, do some searches and some page refreshes);
  • the popup goes completely blank, not just on amazon or youtube, but in any tab of any other domain that happens to be open;
  • if the logger happened to be already open, it was still possible to use the version of the popup available via the logger; however if the logger was not already open there was no way to open it, since the buttons to do so have been removed from the eMatrix entry in the add-ons manager;
  • Once blank, the popup could only be restored by restarting the browser.
Since the popup is the means to interact with a page, when it goes blank eMatrix is broken.

vannilla wrote:I'm not ready to take over completely yet, so bugfixes and whatnot will have to wait, but if I can submit it, at the very least we can install it without having to look for archives or build it ourselves.

I'd like to comment on this.

I have been using uMatrix 1.1.4 and earlier (from GitHub) in one of my profiles for a while and have never found that to be a "difficulty", or jumping through a "hoop", nor even marginally inconvenient. And the extension works extremely well.

It would be nice to have an xul fork of uMatrix on APMO, and I would happily use such a fork if it works well.
What matters to me is simply that it work well. So admittedly, I wish that the priorities you've expressed were reversed.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-02-20, 10:47

I'm using uMatrix at the version I used to make eMatrix, and things seems to work fine (at least on youtube) so it's likely that I accidentally messed up something that broke it.
I'll look into it and report back.
Thanks for testing it out.

About which version I used, I think 1.1.4 is too old and with bugs that were fixed in later versions, so I preferred to take a newer version than that.
About the "difficulties" is just that having to go to Github and then hope that an already built XPI is available is sub-optimal, and in case of anything after a certain point you'd have to actually build it yourself.
I don't like this, I'd rather try to get it on APMO and the other sites.
And about not being ready... it's simply that I understand only a small part of the code base. I couldn't study it in its entirely yet.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-02-20, 13:44

I couldn't reproduce the popup blanking, but I found some other issues that might be related.
I fixed them, please check if they also fixed the blanking: https://gitlab.com/vannilla/ematrix/tags
Thanks.

(The problem was that when I went to change the uMatrix name to eMatrix, I forgot a few important lines... :oops:
Since they deal with UI, they might be related to the popup problem.)

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-02-20, 17:00

vannilla wrote:I couldn't reproduce the popup blanking, but I found some other issues that might be related.
I fixed them, please check if they also fixed the blanking

That worked, v1.0.1 fixed it.
Thank you!

And thanks too for restoring the options to open the logger and dashboard via the add-ons manager.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-02-20, 19:49

That's good to hear.
Now I'll wait some more time hoping someone else will try it. In particular I'd like to hear by multiple people if it works on Basilisk.
Also an answer for the first question would be nice. I don't really want to submit and then have someone tell me I have to take it down because of legal reasons. Given how Pale Moon is treated sometimes, I wouldn't really call that an impossible situation...

About the options, the breakage that made me remove them was once again a naming issue. Once fixed it I could put them back.
I really hope I'm done with that. Names just like to hide in the hardest to find places.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2019-02-20, 20:43

Regarding your first comment:

Changing the name and icon is fine. If you'll recall, gorhill himself forked uBlock to become uBlock Origin (even if uBlock was originally his...worth a look into if that's ever of interest), which effectively was a change of name and icon then business as usual in terms of development.

A cursory check also suggests it works as expected in Basilisk too. :thumbup:

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-02-21, 00:04

A couple of points.

1. Testing
vannilla wrote:Now I'll wait some more time hoping someone else will try it.

Possibly you now have all the testing you want, but if you don't, perhaps consider posting in the "how-to-build-uMatrix" tutorial thread where there's probably a fairly interested audience.

2. Broken Dashboard links

In the Dashboard > About tab are two broken links (due to name changes) that need "fixed":
"Change log"
( currently: https://github.com/gorhill/eMatrix/releases )
and "Documentation"
( currently: https://github.com/gorhill/eMatrix/wiki )

Please consider the following corrections:
"Change log"
Redirect it to releases in your GitLab repository: https://gitlab.com/vannilla/ematrix/tags

"Documentation"
Please consider restoring this link back to the uMatrix wiki: https://github.com/gorhill/uMatrix/wiki
IMO It is one of the most valuable resources a user can have. Certainly, it was for me.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-02-21, 07:01

coffeebreak wrote:Possibly you now have all the testing you want, but if you don't, perhaps consider posting in the "how-to-build-uMatrix" tutorial thread where there's probably a fairly interested audience.
You know, probably I'm just going to submit it to Phoebus, wait for review and then link it in that thread.
coffeebreak wrote: In the Dashboard > About tab are two broken links
That has been fixed, and the next release will have both links to eMatrix and uMatrix.
Lootyhoof wrote:Regarding your first comment:

Changing the name and icon is fine. If you'll recall, gorhill himself forked uBlock to become uBlock Origin (even if uBlock was originally his...worth a look into if that's ever of interest), which effectively was a change of name and icon then business as usual in terms of development.
I see, thanks.
I'll make a new icon before submitting it then, just to make sure.

KSAKS
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by KSAKS » 2019-02-21, 09:59

Thank you for forking uMatrix. Testing it and seems to be working fine except 1 annoying issue I've got before also with uMatrix. And that's issue with eMatrix icon. It simply disappears after browser restart and I need to disable and enable the addon again to have the icon back. I've got exactly the same issue also with uMatrix and this problem started when I've upgraded Adblock Latitude from version 4.x to version 5.x. Looks like there is some incompatibility between these 2. Unfortunately with Palemoon 28 Adblock Latitude 4.x doesn't work anymore and I need to use version 5. Any chance you can look on this and try to fix this issue? Thank you

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-02-21, 13:21

Sorry, I can't reproduce the issue.
Try following these steps:
Open the customize panel (right click on the toolbar or the eMatrix icon, press "customize"), drag both ABL and eMatrix's icons into the panel then click "done". Open the panel again and drag the two icons back into the toolbar, then click "done".
Restart the browser and then report back.

KSAKS
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by KSAKS » 2019-02-21, 14:25

vannilla wrote:Sorry, I can't reproduce the issue.
Try following these steps:
Open the customize panel (right click on the toolbar or the eMatrix icon, press "customize"), drag both ABL and eMatrix's icons into the panel then click "done". Open the panel again and drag the two icons back into the toolbar, then click "done".
Restart the browser and then report back.
Trying that and still the same issue. eMatrix icon is after browser restart gone and it's not even available in customize toolbar settings until I go to addons, disable eMatrix and enable it again. If I try to disable Adblock Latitude addon, then eMatrix icon is still there after browser restart. But if you cannot reproduce it, it must be something related to my settings and/or also some other addon I have here. I will try investigate more and will reply here if I find something. Thank you.

KSAKS
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by KSAKS » 2019-02-21, 16:47

I've been trying to investigate the problem more deeply and found another addon causing the issue. It's JondoFox, but I have some little bit modified version for my use. I've uploaded it here:
https://www27.zippyshare.com/v/7IjuDba6/file.html
Then I've tried use clean 64bit portable version of latest Pale Moon.
1. Installed Adblock Latitude 5.0.1 from here: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/adblock-latitude/
2. Installed eMatrix 1.0.1
3. Restarted Pale Moon and both Adblock and eMatrix icons was there.
4. Installed JondoFox from here https://www27.zippyshare.com/v/7IjuDba6/file.html
5. Restarted Pale Moon and eMatrix icon was gone, but in this clean browser I was able to restore it back with the customize toolbar. In my browser with many other custom settings I'm not.

As I've mentioned before. This problem was not here with Adblock Latitude 4.x versions. Maybe it has something to do with addons load order, but really not sure. I don't need to restart the browser much often, so for now I'm manually disabling/enabling the eMatrix addon after each restart. But would be really nice if this could be somehow fixed. But for now I don't know how to reproduce it exactly the same way in clean browser. If I'll find more, will post it here. Thank you.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-02-21, 17:56

vannilla wrote:That has been fixed, and the next release will have both links to eMatrix and uMatrix.

I installed using the zipped master source file and took a look. I like very much how you managed it. :)

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-02-21, 19:06

eMatrix has been submitted, now to wait for review.
KSAKS wrote:If I'll find more, will post it here. Thank you.
Since this thread's purpose is done (getting eMatrix on Phoebus), please make a dedicated thread for eMatrix bug reports, instead of using this one.
Alternatively, I opened an issue on Gitlab: https://gitlab.com/vannilla/ematrix/issues/1

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2019-02-21, 20:33

Glyph fonts or whatever he used in this later version aren't displaying for me. In older versions all I had to was set gfx.downloadable_fonts.enabled to true, which it is. If it needs to connect to Google then forget it.

The way you switch between "e" and the greek letter is confusing for no reason; pick one and stick to it.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-02-21, 21:36

NotWorthKnowing wrote:Glyph fonts or whatever he used in this later version aren't displaying for me. In older versions all I had to was set gfx.downloadable_fonts.enabled to true, which it is. If it needs to connect to Google then forget it.
I'll look into it, though I'm not sure what to look for honestly.
The XPI has a font folder, and the add-on should use the TTF inside it.
Can you provide more details?
NotWorthKnowing wrote: The way you switch between "e" and the greek letter is confusing for no reason; pick one and stick to it.
Sorry, I can't do that.
Aside the fact that "η" is literally the letter "e", in some places non-ascii characters can't be used, so I have to use the letter "e".
If you, instead, mean just the dashboard pages, in that case I was doing like μMatrix that used "u" instead of "μ".
I can change them if it's really that bothersome, but not right now.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2019-02-21, 22:21

I thought it might be related to this:
https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uMatrix ... /issues/68
but the version you forked from was 9 months before that.
So, I don't know because I jumped from 1.0.0 to 1.3.2, and I'm not looking through all the changes.

I think most English-speakers will pronounce that greek letter as "n" not "e". With uMatrix at least the letters looked almost alike. (I first started calling it microMatrix.) He gave up the greek letter in practical use. So, do what you want; might be like the Pale Moon vs. Palemoon battle though (although those do sound the same).

One thing that would help a little when graphic fonts aren't loading is to eliminate the double tooltips. One justs shows eMatrix and hides part of the descriptive tooltip. Tooltip meaning the little yellow popups that show on hover.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2019-02-21, 22:55

from Error Console:
Error: downloadable font: download failed (font-family: "FontAwesome" style:normal weight:normal stretch:normal src index:0): status=2152857618 source: chrome://ematrix/content/css/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.ttf
Source File: chrome://ematrix/content/css/common.css
Line: 41, Column: 12
Source Code:
@font-face { font-family: "FontAwesome"; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; src: url("fonts/fontawesome-webfont.ttf") format("truetype"); }

But I still don't know which config setting might cause it to be blocked.

KSAKS
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by KSAKS » 2019-02-21, 23:46

vannilla wrote: Alternatively, I opened an issue on Gitlab: https://gitlab.com/vannilla/ematrix/issues/1
Ok thank you, I will post there if I find some way how to reproduce it on clean browser. For now I've tried to replace Adblock Latitude with ABPrime and there is not that issue and the rest seems to be also working fine.