How to downgrade back to previous version

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Gorlash

How to downgrade back to previous version

Unread post by Gorlash » 2019-02-19, 18:40

One of the primary reasons that I'm using Basilisk instead of Pale Moon, is to have access to legacy Firefox themes.
The newest "upgrade" of Basilisk has disabled these themes, therefore I am not going to use it.
I want to "downgrade" to the last working version of Basilisk.
How do I do this? I clicked on a Basilisk-site link which said something about "archive basilisk site", but when I click on it, I automatically fail login. Please tell me how to *not* fail login, so I can continue to use Basilisk. :wtf:

Gorlash

How to fix broken themes, on versions that previously supported them??

Unread post by Gorlash » 2019-02-19, 18:51

Well, the ftp site issue was simple to solve; just use an ftp client instead of the browser.

But now I have a more entertaining challenge; I installed both the 12/2018 and 11/2018 versions of Basilisk, and they *also* say "this theme isn't compatible with this version of Basilisk", which was absolutely *NOT* true previously, because I was happily using the 12/2018 version with my desired themes.

How do I fix the themes so they work again? Is there some about:config field that I can change or something?

JustOff

Re: How to downgrade back to previous version

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-02-19, 19:08

Gorlash wrote:One of the primary reasons that I'm using Basilisk instead of Pale Moon, is to have access to legacy Firefox themes.
The newest "upgrade" of Basilisk has disabled these themes, therefore I am not going to use it.
This is still possible with Basilisk 2019, see viewtopic.php?f=61&t=21455.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-02-19, 19:47

Gorlash wrote:One of the primary reasons that I'm using Basilisk instead of Pale Moon, is to have access to legacy Firefox themes.
I want to "downgrade" to the last working version of Basilisk.
How do I do this? I clicked on a Basilisk-site link which said something about "archive basilisk site", but when I click on it, I automatically fail login. Please tell me how to *not* fail login, so I can continue to use Basilisk. :wtf:
How are you gainin g access to the old firefox themes?
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-02-19, 22:12

Basilisk supports "legacy" add-ons (always has and always will). If they're not working on your computer, then something is wrong with your setup.

Gorlash

Unread post by Gorlash » 2019-02-19, 22:19

Moonraker wrote: How are you gaining access to the old firefox themes?
I'm not *exactly* certain, since I installed them some time ago, but basically I first searched for "firefox complete themes", which gave me names and sample images, then I searched for "firefox <theme_name> old version" which led me to sites where I could install the version that Basilisk supported.

Unfortunately, I don't actually have any of the .xpi files for any of these themes...

Gorlash

Unread post by Gorlash » 2019-02-19, 22:23

helloimustbegoing wrote:Basilisk supports "legacy" add-ons (always has and always will). If they're not working on your computer, then something is wrong with your setup.
Well, here's what Basilisk is showing; I'd be happy to turn this off, any way that I can !!
basilisk.theme.errors.png

Gorlash

Unread post by Gorlash » 2019-02-19, 22:24

BTW, someone else suggested installing "Serpent Tester Tool" to solve this problem; I installed it, but I have no idea what I need to do with it...

Actually, it appears to only work with the .xpi files, and at this point I can only find the themes in .jar format.
Last edited by Gorlash on 2019-02-19, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.

Gorlash

Unread post by Gorlash » 2019-02-19, 22:27

Also, in another thread, someone said all you need to do is:
"I found that I had to bump up the max version in the install.rdf; it was 49, so I changed it to 55."

I'm assuming that requires that I have the .xpi file, yes? Is there some way to change this value after the theme is installed??

Mind you, I'd *really* prefer to just get Basilisk to keep working with the themes that it supported all along...
All my themes were working just fine with 12/2018 version, it only broke with today's update.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-02-19, 22:32

Ah, themes. I missed that. I thought you meant extensions. I don't have any idea why they won't work. Hopefully somebody "in the know" will drop by this thread.

Gorlash

Unread post by Gorlash » 2019-02-19, 22:38

Wow, I can't even *find* any of those themes any more !! Looks like I'm completely screwed.
All the web links point to old Mozilla pages, all of which have now been removed...
GODS I hate Firefox...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-19, 22:41

Themes require strict compatibility (for obvious reasons) with the application version. Your complete themes are likely not compatible with "Firefox 52.9" as indicated by their authors, and as such installation is refused. Why it worked before may be because your browser was set to not honor this strict compatibility check (which is not recommended because incompatible themes will very likely break the browser's UI in one way or another).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-02-19, 22:45

If you still have them in the add-on manager you should be able to find them in your profile. Go to about:support and click on Open Folder button, then open the extensions folder. Your themes should be there. However as pointed out by Moonchild there is a very good reason for themes to use strict compatibility.
Last edited by yami_ on 2019-02-20, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.

Gorlash

Unread post by Gorlash » 2019-02-19, 23:53

yami_ wrote:If you still have them in you add-on manager you should be able to find them in your profile. Go to about:support and click on Open Folder button, then open the extensions folder. Your themes should be there. However as pointed out by Moonchild there is a very good reason for themes to use strict compatibility.
OMG THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU !!!!

And while I agree in theory with your and others' comments about 'strict compatibility', let me just repeat that the *only* reason I am using Basilisk is to retain access to the legacy complete themes !!! I value them that much...

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-02-20, 00:28

No problem. And, if those theme do work well with current Basilisk, you should consider forking them and putting them on the new basilisk add-on site (if the theme license allows it).

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2019-02-20, 00:33

You have to access THUNDERBIRD AND SEAMONKEY themes/personas website.
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... rd/themes/

While it will say "download for Thunderbird" they will NOT download for TB (at least not for the version I use legacy 52.9.1) but if you go there on Basilisk, they will download directly to Basilisk. Yo can no longer preview them though and that makes it tedious to get ones you really want (especially if you use Tree Style Tabs as many Personas make a visual mess of the tabs titles so you need to be able to preview them).

Personas are not kept on your computer. Start Basilisk offline. There will be no Persona. (Although I am not sure about the three listed here now for Basilisk as I want ones with colorful scenes so I haven't tried the three here). The Persona you are currently using - the header and footer are downloaded each time you start Basilisk with an online connection. To save a Persona to disk is tedious work but can be done.

Both SeaMonkey and Thunderbird are working to move to WE Personas. Once this occurs, the Thunderbird/SeaMonkey legacy theme/personas website will be removed. Waterfox uses the very same Personas but uses the WE versions. For me, getting rid of WE extensions and themes has been a blow to using Basilisk but I am persevering for now at least.

JustOff, would you consider archiving the legacy Personas? Not just for Basilisk users but older versions of Fx, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey are available from Mozilla and I am sure those users would appreciate it. Personas Plus can be used to apply a custom Persona using the downloaded header and footer files for it. We would need someone to figure out a way to install them directly but even if that didn't happen if they are archived then we could at least use Personas Plus to make custom ones to use in Fx, SeaMonkey, Thunderbird legacy versions and current Basilisk.

Gorlash

Unread post by Gorlash » 2019-02-20, 00:49

Hi all!!
Hokay, I got the most critical legacy themes working again, using the Wonderful cue that @_yami shared with me, as well as the <mumble> Addon, which read them just fine!!

I'm going to need to take some time in absorb what I've just learned, before I can reply to the last two messages here.
I have *no* experience with xpi programming at all (my expertise is embedded C, 30 years worth)...
Also, for the three themes that I was most eager to recover:
> Sky Pilot Classic
> Red Cats Green
> Red Cats Blue
the originator websites are long gone... not just related forums and pages, but the entire root websites.
I can assure you that I will be backing all of this up to my dropbox page, TODAY, but I don't entirely understand the other topics discussed in the two recent messages - I'll get back to y'all !!

I *also* need to try to recover the .XPI for the Walnut theme, which was always maintained until recently. I didn't find it in the directory where the other themes were...

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-02-20, 01:10

Off-topic:
Gorlash wrote:my expertise is embedded C, 30 years worth
Wow.
Gorlash wrote:I *also* need to try to recover the .XPI for the Walnut theme, which was always maintained until recently. I didn't find it in the directory where the other themes were...
Did you check XPIs with UUID-based names?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-02-20, 02:06

Might also be a good idea to backup your themes. :!:

Gorlash

Unread post by Gorlash » 2019-02-20, 02:30

You *betcha* I backed up all those themes, as well as the <mumble> addon which allowed me to load them!!

And yes, *most* of the addons had UUID identifiers rather than useful names, so I just used <mumble> to try to load them - which displayed the name - and aborted if it was a normal addon that I didn't need to reload.

There were a couple other directories which had anomalous names but no .XPI content, but those both turned out to be other themes; I zipped the directories into .zip files, renamed to .xpi, and confirmed-by-load that they were other themes (neither of which currently have problems with Basilisk).

So it appears that Walnut is loaded via some other mechanism ?? It doesn't appear to have been located in that extensions directory...
and of course, it is no longer available online... <sigh>