8pecxstudios scrubbed from the internet...

General discussion and chat (archived)
Rickkins
Lunatic
Lunatic

8pecxstudios scrubbed from the internet...

Unread post by Rickkins » 2019-02-19, 16:08

All trace of official pages gone, including their facebook presence...

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: 8pecxstudios scrubbed from the internet...

Unread post by Tomaso » 2019-02-19, 16:38

That's a bit of an exaggeration:
https://web.archive.org/web/20181113215 ... udios.com/
:)

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-02-19, 16:38

Sourceforge is still there, https://sourceforge.net/projects/cyberfox/.

Maybe he forgot to renew?
Or gave up?

Last release looks to be 52.9.1, circa 6-29-2018.
(A long time in Internet time.
Heh, but then look at SeaMonkey.)

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2019-02-19, 16:58

@therube

I'd bet for giving up.
It doesn't look well for SeaMonkey either.

Wonder for how long Alex Kontos will resist.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-02-19, 17:11

In March of 2017, the developer of Cyberfox had stated he was going to shut down Cyberfox in 2018 for a number of reasons which are detailed in the link below.

https://news.thewindowsclub.com/cyberfo ... ing-88685/
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-02-19, 17:46

(SeaMonkey will have a 2.49 release... soon.
Perhaps then something with 2.53, at some point.
[2.53 can be had now, too.]
After that... ?)

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-02-19, 18:32

I'm with Night Wing here. Considering that Cyberfox's shutdown was announced two years ago and completed one year ago, I'm not very surprised that the project's official pages have been taken down - likely by the creator, especially with something like a website that costs money to keep running.

Sad to see them go, but nothing new or shocking.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-19, 20:54

Something very similar will happen to the FossaMail website when its domain expires.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2019-02-19, 22:57

Moonchild wrote:Something very similar will happen to the FossaMail website when its domain expires.
It might be worth offering to sell the domain to Tobin so that he can put in a redirect to his Unified XUL-Platform based email client. They are different programs with different visions, implemented very differently, of course, but there is probably some crossover between people who are interested in one and the other (Both were/are at least open-source UXL email clients aimed at a slightly non-mainstream user base not fully satisfied with things like Outlook and Thunderbird). If the old FossaMail site still has a decent SEO value with old links that point towards it, it could be worthwhile for him to pay a small fee to buy it and renew the annual registration. Hosting fees would probably be minimal or non-existent if all he puts up is a redirect to forward people to his own project's URL.

Alternately, until it expires, it might be worthwhile for you to redirect it to the Pale Moon or unified XUL homepages (Perhaps you have already done so, I admittedly have not checked), so the sunk costs provide some nominal benefit, since you can't get your money back for the unused portion of the registration term you've already paid for.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2019-02-20, 06:57

As soon as the Cyberfox website became unreachable late last year I sent the developer an email asking for an explanation. I got an answer 2-3 weeks later. He said he had been in the hospital when the site's certificate expired. He said certificates were "pricey" but he hoped to get one free somehow. That gave me some hope but after some weeks and no change I wrote again. After many weeks and no response I guess it's safe to say it's gone for good. Too bad nobody stepped in to take over.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.1 x64

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2019-02-20, 08:40

Yes, I was disappointed when he announced the end of Cyberfox. Started to look for another browser and discovered PM
As it turned out there it was actually a good result - CF had become slow and PM hasn't, in spite of the ridiculous number of add-ons that I have. :D
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-20, 13:44

It was a minor rebuild using intel compiler and bundled some extensions.. Otherwise following Firefox.

I don't see how anything of value was lost here.

Then again, I actually looked at the code and ran a diff so I saw it for what it was.

But to be fair as minor rebuilds went it was deff a minor rebuild. Just by 2015 being a minor rebuild just didn't cut it anymore and it was showing for some time.

We figured that out before most!

In the classical mozilla world, application and extension advancement comes more from js, dom, css, and media support in the platform than anything in browser/ mail/ navigator/ suite/ as that can stay reletively the same for years IF it is fully featured and deemed complete.

Sure, there will always be a pixel to change or a function to modify and maybe a new fearure to add but fundamental rearchitecting of the UI? Not so much.

This is why the age of rebuilds is all but over. We are all platform developers now. While specific application development is and always will be a part of that it won't mean much if the rest of the platform doesn't advance or if it takes a detour into crazyville.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-02-20, 18:50

browser would still be useable as of now i would imagine..more or less the same state as seamonkey although i much prefer seamonkey .
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-20, 18:57

SeaMonkey is a stalled and all but dead project. I wish you would actually make sure what you are saying has any basis in reality BEFORE you post, Moonraker.

Rickkins
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Rickkins » 2019-02-20, 19:02

Tomaso wrote:That's a bit of an exaggeration:
https://web.archive.org/web/20181113215 ... udios.com/
:)

Wow, you really can be an a**hole at time, ya know that.

Rickkins
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Rickkins » 2019-02-20, 19:05

Night Wing wrote:In March of 2017, the developer of Cyberfox had stated he was going to shut down Cyberfox in 2018 for a number of reasons which are detailed in the link below.

https://news.thewindowsclub.com/cyberfo ... ing-88685/
Yea, aware of all that. A few weeks ago he made a post to the 8pecx facebook page alerting folks to some news to look forward to coming soon.

Now, even the facebook page is gone, which would not happen just because a domain expired...

I was just pointing it out is all, as it seems a pity, and felt it was worth noting...

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-02-20, 20:55

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:SeaMonkey is a stalled and all but dead project. I wish you would actually make sure what you are saying has any basis in reality BEFORE you post, Moonraker.
Sorry i should of been more clear..i have seamonkey installed also which is v2.49 and i could use it for years to come if i wished and seamonkey updates are few and far between but the browser is still useable,the same could be said for cyberfox.I also have firefox 45 installed and it runs ok so using cyberfox could still be an option for some people.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2019-02-20, 21:35

Moonraker wrote:I also have firefox 45 installed and it runs ok so using cyberfox could still be an option for some people.
Unmaintained since ages and with outdated engines. What would the benefits of such an option be?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-21, 00:40

Useable does not mean it is wise to use.. Firefox 45 and whatever Cyberfox was based on when it last existed haven't gotten security updates. SeaMonkey 49 is actually ESR52.. For the time being they have been backporting security fixes so it is currently safe to use but then they are gonna try and shove something based off gecko/56 down the dozen or so users it has left which will bust what few extensions it supports and it is only downhill from there.. Plus they insist on maintaining a build infra and bullshit they don't need and can't host it anywhere.. ALSO they don't control their own trademark so that is a thing too.. Basically, they are all but dead.