Add-ons site upgrade - planned downtime

Anything to do with the Pale Moon add-ons website. (addons.palemoon.org)
Not for questions about add-ons themselves!
Forum rules
Important: This board is for specifics regarding the add-ons website (addons.palemoon.org) and not to report extension compatibility issues or discuss different extensions.
Please only post here when your topic is directly related to the add-ons website service so our moderators don't have to move your posts all the time...
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Add-ons site upgrade - planned downtime

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-10, 16:09

On Saturday February 16th at 00:00 UTC, we will start our upgrade process for the add-ons site to a fully self-serve in-house-written website, Phoebus 2.0.

This upgrade involves a complete changeover of software and how extensions are stored and handled.
Future updates by extension developers will be done through a web interface.

At the stated time, the FTP server will be shut down and no further updates to extensions will be possible through FTP from that point forward.
Availability of the add-ons site may be spotty during the upgrade process which may take the entire weekend to complete -- Tobin, the author of the site software and chief responsible for this upgrade, will be posting to this thread when there are updates of note and when the transition is complete.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Add-ons site upgrade - planned downtime

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-16, 01:13

FTP was shutdown an hour ago.. I have switched the live sites over to the TRUNK code before I do a final sign off and merge into RELEASE and LIVE branches.

Current status is: The Pale Moon, Basilisk, and Interlink Add-ons Sites are online for the rest of the night. The Phoebus Panel is currently disabled in case another SQL migration run needs done between now and later on Saturday.

Dictionaries currently redirects to Thunderbird's Add-ons Site but we will have our own set of forked dictionaries some 70+ of them in the VERY near future, just not this weekend.

I do, however, welcome your comments in this thread. I shall try really REALLY hard not to overreact to negative ones ;)

Reminder: Service can and will be spotty as I make final adjustments.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-16, 12:53

Okay, I have now enabled the Panel. There may be a few bits of downtime if something unexpected happens. Existing developers.. Your FTP credentials have been migrated to Phoebus 2.0. You will be required to supply a friendly display name and email address when you first login. Then you will be required to verify that email address. After that you can submit and update as you see fit. I also recommend changing your password so we don't know what the hell it is.

HOWEVER, do note existing developers.. Your Pale Moon extensions with a Firefox targetApplication should be updated to either reflect and satisfy Basilisk Compatibility or the targetApplication entry should be removed so that your extension will not show up on the Basilisk Add-ons Site. This also goes for Thunderbird targetApplication entries in regards to Interlink Mail & News. Basically, clean up your install manifests!

Anyway, all that can be done now is witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational Add-ons Site software.

So, unless otherwise noted here.. Enjoy Phoebus 2.0 and its associated Add-ons Sites!

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-02-16, 13:16

Thank you for making this happen! Hope you will have enough inspiration to continue to improve it. And please do not be offended by the critical comments that will certainly follow, because everyone always wants things to be even better :thumbup:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-16, 13:19

Before anyone mentions any potential missing features please review Phoebus Issue #97. This will detail SOME of the upcoming things for Phoebus 2.1!

That being said, do comment here. I want to know your thoughts.. I will decide if they piss me off at a later date :thumbup:

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2019-02-16, 14:14

This does, for those unsure, also mean you can now submit add-ons without having to interact with me or the Add-ons Team in general. In case that was ever a problem. :P

We will of course still need to review any submissions, but there won't be any direct contact necessary, as it's fully self-service now. This also applies for add-ons you might want to submit for Basilisk or Interlink too.

Have fun! :thumbup:

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-02-16, 14:53

It looks pretty nice, but I met a problem:
I logged in and added a mail address, but I'm not getting any verification code.
If I'm supposed to receive a mail, I fear I might have mispelled the address but I can't go back and edit it.
Of course it might simply be that the mail isn't supposed to be delivered immediately, but if I don't receive anything, what am I supposed to do?

Edit:
I received the mail, it was just a matter of waiting.
Still, maybe some way to at least check that the inserted address is correct could be added.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-16, 15:24

vannilla wrote: maybe some way to at least check that the inserted address is correct could be added.
That is what e-mail verification is for...?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

rafaelgomesxyz
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by rafaelgomesxyz » 2019-02-16, 16:09

Will there be an API for uploading the add-ons? With the FTP server I could automate the entire process.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-02-16, 17:12

Moonchild wrote:That is what e-mail verification is for...?
Apologies, I meant a line saying something like "a mail with your verification code has been sent to xxxx@yyyy.zzz" in the page that appears after submitting the address.
Nothing fancy, just a line telling which address it was sent to.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-16, 18:44

gsrafael01 wrote:Will there be an API for uploading the add-ons? With the FTP server I could automate the entire process.
I see no reason for that kind of capability at this time.
vannilla wrote:
Moonchild wrote:That is what e-mail verification is for...?
Apologies, I meant a line saying something like "a mail with your verification code has been sent to xxxx@yyyy.zzz" in the page that appears after submitting the address.
Nothing fancy, just a line telling which address it was sent to.
Sure :) Please open an issue at the Phoebus Issue Tracker.

rafaelgomesxyz
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by rafaelgomesxyz » 2019-02-16, 20:26

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
gsrafael01 wrote:Will there be an API for uploading the add-ons? With the FTP server I could automate the entire process.
I see no reason for that kind of capability at this time.
I just gave you the reason: to automate the process. I have a npm script that automatically uploads my extensions to the Chrome, Firefox and Pale Moon stores when I release a new version. But now with this change every time I release a new version I'll have to manually pack the extension for Pale Moon, open the website and upload it. It's just tiresome.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-02-16, 21:54

gsrafael01 wrote:I just gave you the reason: to automate the process.
This can be easily automated using for example curl and a simple script. I can create one and share it, if, of course, Tobin does not object.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-16, 23:52

I'd prefer you didn't.. at least not at this time.

EDIT: IF I am gonna add this feature I want to do it right..

I dunno if it will be in 2.1 or sooner.. But, I will get you your API.. HOWEVER, it will ONLY be update NOT submit. I will not support automated submission and it will be on a case by case basis.. Is that understood?

Expect to see it sometime between the next few weeks and next few years ;)

rafaelgomesxyz
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by rafaelgomesxyz » 2019-02-17, 03:57

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:I'd prefer you didn't.. at least not at this time.

EDIT: IF I am gonna add this feature I want to do it right..

I dunno if it will be in 2.1 or sooner.. But, I will get you your API.. HOWEVER, it will ONLY be update NOT submit. I will not support automated submission and it will be on a case by case basis.. Is that understood?

Expect to see it sometime between the next few weeks and next few years ;)
Thank you! Only update is fine, I don't see a reason for automated submission.

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2019-02-17, 12:06

I have a problem. I want to change the ID of my addon (as it is not permitted) but I can't do that (says the ID has changed), and I can't submit a new one as the name is already in use.

I can obviously carry on using the same ID but I don't really want to.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-17, 12:28

The problem is.. That the ID is king in the platform and for AUS. If the ID changes, it is a different add-on in the eyes of the application. It would cut off your users from updates and the new one would conflict with the old one if both are installed.

On Phoebus the ID is used for AUS and Download requests but everywhere else the slug is used. Internally, getting add-on by id returns only the essential basics from the database but by slug in general returns the full data structure.. Also, the slug is used for the physical location on the filesystem. That is why both are important and both must be unique and both are matched and cannot be changed.

Why do you want to change the ID anyway?

EDIT: I see, restricted ID.. WELL I can manually clear your extension out but there are the problems listed above.. However, since xpi update on Phoebus, unlike submissions, aren't subject to restricted ID check (for legacy and other reasons) I say.. keep on using it as-is. It will serve your users best.. They don't care what the ID is :P

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2019-02-17, 15:57

Heh. Guess I'd better work with the tools requirements then..

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-17, 21:31

I have resolved an issue with updating extensions and themes on the add-ons site.

BKelley56
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by BKelley56 » 2019-02-21, 02:25

I like what I see happening. Keep up the great work. Will always be a user of Palemoon!