seeking advice about migration from FF to PM

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
longbowman

seeking advice about migration from FF to PM

Unread post by longbowman » 2019-02-12, 00:24

Hi

First of all sorry if I opened a wrong topic in a wrong board
I recently decided to move to Pale Moon from FF. and I have some questions that I couldn't find answers:
1. I need to transfer all of my bookmarks (and that is very important)
2. I need specific add-ons:
2.1 Leechblock or alternative (an add-on that blocks specific websites for certain time frame)
2.2 Mind The Time or alternative (an add-on that logs how much time is spent using a website)
2.3 HTTPS Everywhere or alternative
2.4 Session Manager or alternative(we all know how important app is a session manager for FF users)
2.5 some sort of firebug or devtools or something like that.

Can you suggest a solutions for these problems?

Thanks

yami_

Re: seeking advice about migration from FF to PM

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-02-12, 01:42

longbowman wrote:1. I need to transfer all of my bookmarks (and that is very important)
Backup your bookmarks in Fx and restore them in PM.
longbowman wrote:2.4 Session Manager or alternative(we all know how important app is a session manager for FF users)
Session Manager 0.8.1.13 works for me (caa:addon/session-manager)[1].
longbowman wrote:2.5 some sort of firebug or devtools or something like that.
Devtools are included in official build.

[1] You can download the latest working version of Session Manager by using CAA.

longbowman

Unread post by longbowman » 2019-02-12, 05:48

yami_ wrote:
longbowman wrote:1. I need to transfer all of my bookmarks (and that is very important)
Backup your bookmarks in Fx and restore them in PM.
longbowman wrote:2.4 Session Manager or alternative(we all know how important app is a session manager for FF users)
Session Manager 0.8.1.13 works for me (caa:addon/session-manager)[1].
longbowman wrote:2.5 some sort of firebug or devtools or something like that.
Devtools are included in official build.

[1] You can download the latest working version of Session Manager by using CAA.
Thanks for the answers.
how about other two add-ons? is this possible to use them? to at least try them?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-12, 09:36

I don't recommend using "HTTPS Everywhere" or alternatives. The current state of the web is that enough websites are using https forwarding on their own that such an extension will get more in the way by forwarding when it shouldn't, than not.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

longbowman

Unread post by longbowman » 2019-02-12, 11:02

Moonchild wrote:I don't recommend using "HTTPS Everywhere" or alternatives. The current state of the web is that enough websites are using https forwarding on their own that such an extension will get more in the way by forwarding when it shouldn't, than not.
Thank you for your advice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I installed session manager and Leechblock. they work fine

Also Interested in
1) NoScript or Alternative
2) Miner block

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2019-02-12, 11:08

There is a build of NS that works in PM, but uMatrix is loads better.

For miners - the Resource Abuse filter in uBlock Origin takes care of them.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-02-12, 16:53

longbowman wrote:2) Miner block
I use the NoCoin filter list (in addition to uBO's Resource Abuse list).

It can be subscribed to directly from its GitHub front page here.

mrnhmath
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mrnhmath » 2019-02-13, 18:46

I don't think mining filters are needed in PM, since most if not all miners require WebAssembly, which is disabled by default in the platform.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-13, 19:07

mrnhmath wrote:I don't think mining filters are needed in PM, since most if not all miners require WebAssembly, which is disabled by default in the platform.
To the best of my knowledge all cryto-mining malvertising uses WASM for delivery because it conveniently obfuscates-by-design everything in the code -- thank you, whomever thought WASM was a good idea! I predicted this (new malware using WASM's binary format to hide itself) when I first heard of it -- so yes, you should be fine as-is.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

longbowman

Unread post by longbowman » 2019-02-14, 23:28

One thing I left is to get somewhere a time tracker (an application that tracks time by website)

p.s. Thanks for your support.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-02-15, 03:21

longbowman wrote:to get somewhere a time tracker (an application that tracks time by website)

The one you mentioned earlier, "Mind the Time", can be found in both of the "legacy" extension archives
(read here, the paragraph with the heading "Secondly, check the archives").

The archives:

1. Classic Add-ons Archive (CAA)
This is an installable, searchable catalog that links to an archive of xul extensions held in cloud storage.
Add-ons can be installed or saved directly from links within the catalog just as from a web page.
CAA is installed from the releases page of its GitHub repository; forum support thread is here.

2. The Legacy Collector website

edaguru

Unread post by edaguru » 2019-02-15, 08:03

coffeebreak wrote:
"Secondly, check the archives"

The archives:

This is an installable, searchable catalog that links to an archive of xul extensions held in cloud storage.
Add-ons can be installed or saved directly from links within the catalog just as from a web page.
CAA is installed from the releases page of its GitHub repository; forum support thread is here.

Thanks! This really helped. Installed Palemoon again after a very long time ( was my default browser 3 years ago). Had switched to Waterfox/FF ESR due to stabilty issues. Now moving back just because I am getting frustrated with FF's addons policies. Now back on Palemoon and have the browser configured to my liking...

longbowman

Unread post by longbowman » 2019-02-16, 01:07

coffeebreak wrote:
longbowman wrote:to get somewhere a time tracker (an application that tracks time by website)

The one you mentioned earlier, "Mind the Time", can be found in both of the "legacy" extension archives
(read here, the paragraph with the heading "Secondly, check the archives").

The archives:

Those are really finest resources
Thanks for your help
I moved To the PM already but this is a good finish for my transition.