sound streams too slow on online TV Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Bito_MUC
Moonbather
Moonbather

sound streams too slow on online TV

Unread post by Bito_MUC » 2019-02-01, 21:49

Hi friends of Pale Moon,

my Pale Moon (v. 28.3.1) running under Linux Mint 19.1. has a problem with TV streams like https://www.zdf.de/live-tv or https://live.daserste.de/ or https://www.arte.tv/de/live/: While I can see the pictures with normal velocity and good resolution, the sound runs as slow as if the movie would run in extreme slow motion, so that you don't understand a single word. It seems that I am not the only one with that issue (see https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16241&p=158839&hilit=sound#p158839. With youtube videos, everything is fine.

I am rather sure that this is not a matter of the more than 10 years old hardware I use, because on the same machine I can watch TV streams without any problem when I use Firefox ESR 51.9 (the last Firefox that uses "legacy" extensions).

Do you have an idea what might go wrong here?
Thank you for your help

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: sound streams too slow on online TV

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-01, 21:56

Everything works fine on Windows (daserste HD streams fine), so likely something to do with the Linux media back-end (and potentially with very old hardware)
That it works on Firefox 52 ESR for you has little bearing on UXP -- we've made plenty of changes to the media back-end.

(and they are STILL broadcasting "Tatort" in 2019? Wow! Some things never end XD)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

GigaWatt

Unread post by GigaWatt » 2019-02-02, 04:18

I can't actually see any of the streams (I think the site is asking me to install some kind of a player, ZDF-Player ???), but I agree with Moonchild on this. Has to be an OS/driver issue. I've seen similar problems on other OSes... or OS flavors ;).

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2019-02-02, 09:23

One solution that helps with some sites is to ensure that you're running in Firefox Compataibility mode. The menu tree walk is...
  • Tools
  • Preferences
  • Advanced
  • Compataibility User Agent Mode "Firefox Compatibility" (at the drop down menu)
And restart the video. I did some testing, and did not have to restart the browser.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-02-02, 09:26

Could the videos be played on an independant player like vmc for example.?
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Bito_MUC
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Bito_MUC » 2019-02-02, 11:35

Walter Dnes wrote:One solution that helps with some sites is to ensure that you're running in Firefox Compataibility mode
Thank you, Walter. With these changes, my Pale Moon plays TV streams as it should be.
:)
But there is one thing I don't understand: Why does it make a difference whether the respective video stream comes from youtube or from another source? The TV streams I had problems with, aren't really "live" as little as those from youtube, but come from a repository called mediathek or so. But this question, I am afraid, might only show that I am only a stupid user and not a "computer nerd".
;)
Pale Moon 32.1.0 (64-bit), German locale, on Windows 10 pro (22H2)

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2019-02-02, 14:33

Back in the days when I watched TV streams I've seen browsers going audio unsync with stream duration.
Tatort stream in "High" quality runs fine here on xubuntu 14.x-32, Intel 900/2.2 GHz, 1GB (clean cache), even fullscreen.
However, when set quality to "Very High" I get micro hangs in 2 second sequences and audio stream unsyncs very soon. - Just hardware limits.

at Bito_MUC:
From my knowledge there is certainly more than one reason in the chain, like compatibility settings, browser sniffing for automatic settings, some channels limit bandwith/speed, different video "standards" and decoding/playback abilities and not at last, your hardware, video card, drivers, etc. ... so it's a bit more than downloading some bytes and watch them in a player.

Bito_MUC
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Bito_MUC » 2019-02-13, 22:05

Can someone mark this topic as "solved"? So every visitor of the forum can see that there is a solution for the problem mentioned.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2019-02-14, 01:13

The poster who started the topic (in this case you) will see a checkmark beside his name. See below; I've highlighted it in a red box. Clicking on the checkmark marks the topic as solved.
Attachments
screen.png
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

Bito_MUC
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Bito_MUC » 2019-02-14, 10:20

thank you for your advice. I did not realise that checkbox before. Now I have checked it and the thread can be closed
Pale Moon 32.1.0 (64-bit), German locale, on Windows 10 pro (22H2)

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2019-02-14, 16:36

Bito_MUC wrote:thank you for your advice. I did not realise that checkbox before. Now I have checked it and the thread can be closed
you should check it on the post that contains the solution, i.e. Walter Dnes' post