V. 2019.02.11 - Red Cats Theme Heads-Up

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

V. 2019.02.11 - Red Cats Theme Heads-Up

Unread post by JoeyG » 2019-02-11, 13:20

I just updated to the latest version of Basilisk (2019.02.11).

Upon restarting, the full theme that I've been using from the beginning with Basilisk (Red Cats Green Flavor v. 6.1.0) was disabled with no possibility to enable it.

I found that I had to bump up the max version in the install.rdf; it was 49, so I changed it to 55.

Now everything's OK. :D
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: V. 2019.02.11 - Full theme disabled! Help please.

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-11, 13:27

Themes are always considered strict compatibility. So if it says it isn't compatible then it isn't. Know that unaltered Firefox Themes are not supported by their very nature of being.. wait for it.. unaltered .. Firefox .. themes.

Don't worry, by the end of the weekend there will be a Basilisk Add-ons Site so you can properly fork said themes and release them for the Basilisk!

As an aside, did you have a point beyond incompatible theme is incompatible?

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Red Cats Theme Heads-Up

Unread post by JoeyG » 2019-02-11, 13:37

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Themes are always considered strict compatibility. So if it says it isn't compatible then it isn't. Know that unaltered Firefox Themes are not supported by their very nature of being.. wait for it.. unaltered .. Firefox .. themes.
I see what you mean, but the dev of this venerable theme is gone with the wind. In this case, the incompatibility was merely a too-low max version.
Don't worry, by the end of the weekend there will be a Basilisk Add-ons Site so you can properly fork said themes and release them for the Basilisk!
I'm not the dev, and I wouldn't feel right about making my home-made "compatible" version available to the general public. I'm guessing (hoping) that the few people who happen to use this theme are adequately knowledgeable about the issue to make the change as I did.
As an aside, did you have a point beyond incompatible theme is incompatible?
I've revised my posting. I would have deleted it, but you were too quick on the trigger for me.
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)

JustOff

Re: V. 2019.02.11 - Red Cats Theme Heads-Up

Unread post by JustOff » 2019-02-11, 13:42

This is a side effect of switching Basilisk to use the Pale Moon Add-on Manager when disabling experimental support for WebExtension.

The quick and dirty workaround is to change maxVersion or use Serpent Tester Tool. But you are on your own, if you do so.
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:[..] so you can properly fork said themes and release them for the Basilisk!
Unfortunately, this is not always possible due to copyright restrictions, especially for themes, as you know.
Last edited by JustOff on 2019-02-11, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: V. 2019.02.11 - Full theme disabled! Help please.

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-02-11, 13:43

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:[...]so you can properly fork said themes and release them for the Basilisk!
You are assuming there haven't been any skin related changes to Basilisk. Now I am not sure there have or haven't been.. I do know there have been a few since it was Firefox 52.. But this release? Dunno. Don't really care either. But you should be aware of that.

You could fork it if the license permits it for the benefit of everyone instead of just .. you. Please reconsider it.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2019-02-11, 13:48

JustOff wrote:This is a side effect of switching Basilisk to use the Pale Moon Add-on Manager when disabling experimental support for WebExtension.
OK, thanks.
The quick and dirty workaround is to change maxVersion
This is what I did.
WOW!!!! Great!!!
But you are on your own, if you do so.
In this world, you're always on your own.
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:[..] so you can properly fork said themes and release them for the Basilisk!
JustOff wrote:Unfortunately, this is not always possible due to copyright restrictions, especially for themes, as you know.
:thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-11, 14:13

JoeyG wrote:In this world, you're always on your own.
This thread actually proves the opposite ;)

This forum and community tries to make sure you're not on your own, but there are limits, of course.
Using a tester tool designed for theme/extension developers in daily use as an end user is definitely beyond those limits.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2019-02-11, 14:33

Moonchild wrote:
JoeyG wrote:In this world, you're always on your own.
This thread actually proves the opposite ;)
I'm not sure whether you're referring to JustOff's potentially useful tool or the fact that I offered unsolicited assistance regarding the solution to the problem I encountered with the hope of helping others. I any case, of course, you're right, which is why I'm thankful this forum exists. You and others have helped me many times. :clap:
This forum and community tries to make sure you're not on your own, but there are limits, of course.
Of course.
Using a tester tool designed for theme/extension developers in daily use as an end user is definitely beyond those limits.
That's why I haven't used it yet. ;)