Cannot play video Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Cannot play video

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-02-07, 17:14

Hello everyone, could you please try this page? There's a video right on top of the page. Tried everything I could (including Safe Mode, Content/Video options and a clean PM Portable profile) but no luck. The "Play" triangle appears for an instant in the middle of the video thumbnail, but disappears immediately.
Error Console.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Cannot play video

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-02-07, 17:30

The play triangle disappears for me too even after disabling uBlock Origin.

I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.3.1 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19.1 (Tessa) Xfce. User agent is Firefox Compatibility mode.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2019-02-07, 17:57

Work for me: right click on the video and from the drop down menu select play and the video plays in the page but there are no control buttons. Or you can chose "view video " option and the Video is open in it's own window with full controls. It works with adblockers enabled (uBO and Disconnect in my case.
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-02-07, 18:08

badnick wrote:Work for me: right click on the video and from the drop down menu select play and the video plays in the page but there are no control buttons. Or you can chose "view video " option and the Video is open in it's own window with full controls. It works with adblockers enabled (uBO and Disconnect in my case.
Your comments above are correct.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-02-07, 18:29

badnick wrote:Work for me: right click on the video and from the drop down menu select play and the video plays in the page but there are no control buttons. Or you can chose "view video " option and the Video is open in it's own window with full controls. It works with adblockers enabled (uBO and Disconnect in my case.
Interesting, thanks. Not sure why this is required. Right-clicking, also reveals a "Show Controls" option which works (no need for own window). It's good enough. Not sure if it's supposed to work this way (I'm guessing it's not), but I'll mark it solved.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-07-02, 08:45

Back at this website, because for some reason it only serves Pale Moon the low-quality version of their videos (416x224) instead of the higher one (1024x576). Here is an example. (you need to right-click to play and show controls, see earlier posts)

I tried changing the Content/Video settings and the user agent with no result.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2019-07-02, 20:19

That page seems to depend on the absence of Disconnect and the presence of cookies. If I disabled Disconnect and enabled session cookies, I got the "View video" item in the context menu, and could play the video. Having Disconnect enabled and/or no cookies, the "View video" did not appear in the context menu.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-07-02, 20:43

Thanks, but context menu entries were never a problem. The only remaining issue seems to be the stream's quality. Currently, only the low-res version is available.