Request for help building PM

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
SamSpeed

Request for help building PM

Unread post by SamSpeed » 2019-02-02, 00:22

Been trying to build PM, think I've done all the right things according to the instructions. But have run into this error at the "./mach build" part. See
mach_error.jpg
Does this mean anything to anyone? A Python issue?

Some years back I managed to build FireFox -- a 'hello world' version so to speak, so I know it can be a challenge

Thanks in advance for help or suggestions.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Request for help building PM

Unread post by adesh » 2019-02-02, 12:29

Just a guess, but probably Python is not able to find the correct module because backtrace shows mixed directory delimeters - "/" and "\" in the file path. That raises another question - why are using MinGW? I don't think that is the supported configuration. Better to stick with documented Visulal Studio method while on Windows.
Last edited by adesh on 2019-02-02, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2019-02-02, 12:46

Do not confuse, MinGW was come form the mozzila build tools, nothing to do with it.

Suggest make sure that source code is downloaded properly, then change directory to more simple no dots and dash (uxp for example), and for exclude possible mess inside mozconfig, remove it at all and try.

SamSpeed

Unread post by SamSpeed » 2019-02-03, 21:38

Indeed! There was wrongness at the source code level. The zipfile(s) that I downloaded all seemed to be corrupt in some way. Naturally I ignored the errors hoping for the best. Depending on the zip tool (7zip, IZARC, etc) I will see errors like invalid header or CRC error -- Carumba. This occurred even downloading the zip from Github.

For example, UXP-PM28.2.0_Release zipfile was missing the file 'mach', which seems to be kindof important for building.

Any way after cloning the repository, things are looking much better and it's been a fun adventure so far reading and debugging python (which is new to me).

The bad news I'm stuck with an _MSC_VER issue -- looks like the installer failed to make all the updates -- but that's between me and microsoft :)

Lurker_01
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Lurker_01 » 2019-02-04, 00:55

The build docs are incomplete apart of requiring Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 it also requires kb3165756 update over it, otherwise i believe it causes _MSC_VER issue.
You also may just modify that restriction in one of the source files but Firefox people said that this is the Min version that they believe that doesn't cause compile bugs.
Also the build requires 8.3 filenames with i had disabled on my SSD i believe this restriction is lifted in one of the Firefox bugs and i don't remember it's number.

SamSpeed

Unread post by SamSpeed » 2019-02-04, 20:55

Lurker, the build docs do say to get all the updates for msvc -- the trouble was the updates fail for reasons only ms tech reps can understand. So I took your advice and changed the min version down a couple of notches to 19.00.24210 -- justa global search and replace. And she's off and running.

Until ms strikes again -- application experience services were disabled and the linker could not write conftest.exe. This file is built many times in rapid succession and AES does not like that. Apparently it always loads and even if disabled, has some behaviours. It took a bit of googling to find that solution.

So it ran and ran and it finally says, "Sorry it took so long" and that made me laugh.

Now XPCOM will not load when I invoke 'mach run'. I tried 'mach rage' and that did not help, but ain't gonna give up :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-04, 20:59

Step 1 for successfully building Pale Moon:

Get yourself a stable workstation with a stable and reliable internet (broadband) connection. otherwise you're electing the way of pain.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SamSpeed

Unread post by SamSpeed » 2019-02-04, 21:59

Moonchild -- sound advice sir, thank you.

Actually my workstation is very much like a stable. One that has not been cleaned in a long time. I've got versions of xpcom.dll going back to 2009.

Seriously, would you blame a broadband connection for corrupt downloaded zip files? I've never seen such but there's lots I've never seen.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-04, 22:46

SamSpeed wrote:Seriously, would you blame a broadband connection for corrupt downloaded zip files?
A bad internet connection is the #1 reason for corrupt downloads. If connections get interrupted or simply cut off, you end up with corrupt archives that won't unpack properly and have files missing. Contrary to what you seem to believe, you in fact DO need every single file in the source archive to be unpacked and in good order.
"Ignoring crc errors and hoping things will work" is... well... let's just say with that approach you'll never be able to build.

I'm not sure if you're joking here or not, but in all seriousness: stable as in an adjective, not a noun.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lurker_01
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Lurker_01 » 2019-02-05, 00:07

SamSpeed wrote:Lurker, the build docs do say to get all the updates for msvc -- the trouble was the updates fail for reasons only ms tech reps can understand. So I took your advice and changed the min version down a couple of notches to 19.00.24210 -- justa global search and replace. And she's off and running.
Yeah my problem was that after installing no updates were appealing as available.
If you want the kb3165756 update i can PM you.
SamSpeed wrote: Until ms strikes again -- application experience services were disabled and the linker could not write conftest.exe. This file is built many times in rapid succession and AES does not like that. Apparently it always loads and even if disabled, has some behaviours. It took a bit of googling to find that solution.
I had this problem on 27.x Build and this is another hidden requirement to have this service running, mine just failed the build outright with the service disabled.
SamSpeed wrote: So it ran and ran and it finally says, "Sorry it took so long" and that made me laugh.
With my FX6300 the build takes around 40 minutes and 30 minutes of Linker with 4GB linker memory usage.

SamSpeed

Unread post by SamSpeed » 2019-02-10, 06:22

Moonchild wrote:[quote="I'm not sure if you're joking here or not, but in all seriousness: stable as in an adjective, not a noun.
I'm not sure if you're joking here or not, but in all seriousness: stable as in an adjective, not a noun.[/quote wrote:
Moonchild you are really right about workstations -- and my comment was in a jocular vein. The workstation I use most is very stable (in the barnyard sense). But in another sense she is well experienced. She has seen a plethora of visual studio editions and usually comes out of the murk successfully. And she has lots of other resources available, lots of old songs to sing.

But realizing that she is in fact an old boat, maybe running out of new songs, I've moved on to a far less experienced workstation may become yet more fruitful.
Thanks

SamSpeed

Unread post by SamSpeed » 2019-02-22, 01:53

Well folks, I claim success. And I don't know where it came from -- I can take no credit.

I've been away from this effort to build for a while. But today, I got the latest update from source control, said, "mach clobber" and then "mach build", and then "mach run", and lo and behold there she was -- a New Moon -- right there in front of me. Mind you these things I've done before to no good effect. I've changed nothing other than refreshing sources for the nth time.

Now I get to have fun reading code, debugging, scratching my head and perhaps to dream of contributing.