PM incorrectly displays WEBP images Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
zelea2
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

PM incorrectly displays WEBP images

Unread post by zelea2 » 2019-02-02, 01:06

palemoon version 28.3.1+repack-1 (linux) distorts WEBP images as seen in the attachement. The same page diplays correctly in firefox-esr (60.4.0esr-1) and chromium (72.0.3626.53-1)

If I remove from image.http.accept the "image/webp" then the page is also displayed correctly in palemoon but the images then load very slowly.

Also if the original images for the screen-shoots are JPG then they display correctly but if they are PNG the distorsion is present.
This might also be related to the size of the image not necessarily the image type.
Attachments
corrupted_webp.png

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: PM incorrectly displays WEBP images

Unread post by adesh » 2019-02-02, 12:35

It would help if you can provide more details like link to images or the page that they are displayed on.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-02-02, 12:40

Off-topic:
To my eye, most of the distorted ones actually look better then the originals, https://www.google.com/search?q=theeye+ ... AegQsAQIGQ ;-).
(But then some may say I'm blind as a bat.)

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2019-02-02, 15:14

Just checked some webp sites and found nothing wrong.

https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/gallery1
https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/gallery2

I also visited png sites with very large png image sizes (20 and 30 MB). They loaded slow on my connection but displayed well.
(xubuntu14.x/x32)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-02-02, 17:38

I don't have problems with those types of images in the link The Rube posted.

I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.3.1 running in 64 linux Mint 19.1 (Tessa) Xfce. The user agent I use is Firefox Compatibility. The only addons I have installed at this time are NoSquint 2.2.2 and uBlock Origin (1.16.4.7).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

zelea2
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by zelea2 » 2019-02-02, 19:58

Unfortunatelly I can't give you a link because it's a invitation only site. In fact there are several sites like that and they all share the same interface.

But since PM is a fork of FF and FF displays the images correctly I think the problem lies with PM.

When those screenshoots load it takes about 1 second and some get distorted while some seem to "crash" and just the link is displayed (as the one in the left corner). If I reload the page then the image distorsion changes and some other images might "crash" and display link only.

I've reported this issue also to the site owners and they are not interested investigating and they say it's a PM bug and since not a lot of users browse with PM they won't cooperate.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2019-02-02, 22:10

Some of the images on this page look normal and some do not:
https://www.google.com/search?q=theeye+ ... AegQsAQIGQ
Are the ones with a lot of vertical stripes the way they should look, or not?

zelea2
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by zelea2 » 2019-02-03, 05:08

Same page displayed in PM and FF:
PM
PM
FF
FF

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-02-03, 05:23

zelea2 wrote:palemoon version 28.3.1+repack-1
Where did you install that from? That sounds like it's from somebody's repo rather than the official Linux binaries.

Do you still see that distortion when you access that site ...

1) ... in Pale Moon's safe mode?
2) ... using the official Linux binaries?
3) ... using the unstable version?
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-03, 07:58

Goodydino wrote:Some of the images on this page look normal and some do not:
https://www.google.com/search?q=theeye+ ... AegQsAQIGQ
Are the ones with a lot of vertical stripes the way they should look, or not?
It's called "Contemporary Art" ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2019-02-03, 09:36

therube wrote:
Off-topic:
To my eye, most of the distorted ones actually look better then the originals, https://www.google.com/search?q=theeye+ ... AegQsAQIGQ ;-).
(But then some may say I'm blind as a bat.)
I think I'd agree with your assessment re: the quality of the art, perhaps PM is inadvertently applying an improvement filter.

It doesn't seem to be happening here on 32bit PM.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-02-03, 15:01

I can't give you a link because it's a invitation only site
How about direct link to a particular image itself.
Or download it on your end & host it somewhere, publicly.

zelea2
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by zelea2 » 2019-02-04, 00:45

Nigaikaze wrote:
zelea2 wrote:palemoon version 28.3.1+repack-1
Do you still see that distortion when you access that site ...
1) ... in Pale Moon's safe mode?
2) ... using the official Linux binaries?
3) ... using the unstable version?
I've tried your suggestions and:

- It is doing the same thing with the official and unstable version.
- It distorts the images in safe mode
- Is still distorts them in the unstable version after a fresh install (I've removed the dot directory so absolutely no add-ons or tweaking)
Last edited by zelea2 on 2019-02-04, 03:07, edited 1 time in total.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-02-04, 00:59

zelea2 wrote:What other test can I do to narrow this down and see what makes it display correctly in safe mode?
Try disabling extensions. Disable them all, and then re-enable one at a time (restarting the browser in-between) and see if that particular extension is the problem.

Another thing that safe mode disables is hardware acceleration. Try going into Preferences > Advanced > General tab and uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available" to see if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Erp ... just sank in that you still have the problem with the fresh install. Try disabling hardware acceleration first.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

zelea2
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by zelea2 » 2019-02-04, 03:11

Try disabling extensions. Disable them all, and then re-enable one at a time (restarting the browser in-between) and see if that particular extension is the problem.

Another thing that safe mode disables is hardware acceleration. Try going into Preferences > Advanced > General tab and uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available" to see if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Erp ... just sank in that you still have the problem with the fresh install. Try disabling hardware acceleration first.
I've spoken too soon (I've edited previous post). It just happened to display the images correctly in safe mode once but in fact it distorts them in safe mode also.
Every time I hit the refresh button I get another distorsion.
Disabling hardware acceleration also makes no difference.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-04, 15:24

Can you please provide a webp image that is problematic for you?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

zelea2
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by zelea2 » 2019-02-04, 19:23

Moonchild wrote:Can you please provide a webp image that is problematic for you?
I've been able to edit a minimalistic html page which shows the problem and it can be loaded without supplying the site credentials.

If you hit reload on that attached page you'll see that every time each image is either:
- displayed correctly
- displayed distorted with different distortion every time
- or displayed as link only (the image "crashed").

If you click the a href images they always display correctly but slowly (other browsers load them faster).
In my opinion the .mid.png images which are distorted are created on the fly by the site from the big res ones. I think this because in all the browsers they take 1-2 seconds to load and that should be instant for so small images.

In some very rare cases I've been able to crash PM entirely with segfault but I didn't have the ulimit set to grab a core of the crash.

So now you can try it for yourself, just load the attached html and hit refresh a few times. Opera, Chromium and Firefox always display the correct images.
Attachments
Sorjonen.zip
(872 Bytes) Downloaded 25 times

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-04, 19:52

zelea2 wrote:So now you can try it for yourself,
Unfortunately not. Your test case has png files linked.

I see, the server converts to webp. They all load slow, but no distortion or crashes seen on a current trunk build.

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2019-02-04, 20:35

It is interesting that all the images in that html file are severely distorted, but if you right-click them and choose "View Image", they appear correctly.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-04, 20:49

Goodydino wrote:It is interesting that all the images in that html file are severely distorted, but if you right-click them and choose "View Image", they appear correctly.
Well, I see no distortion here, but perhaps that is an interaction between the webp decoder and the OS graphics system.

I think most of this might be caused by a known buffering issue in WebP in release builds that has already been fixed in the unstable channel - very slow/interrupted loading webp images, or very large ones, require re-buffering that isn't properly handled in current release builds (which may also lead to browser crashes).

Although I'm not privy to the current state of unstable Linux builds at the moment as in which commit they build from. If they are a bit behind, then it may not have these fixes yet.