Network Distribution

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
d3adm8n

Network Distribution

Unread post by d3adm8n » 2019-02-02, 16:18

Hi guys,

I would like to distribute this to a number of terminals that multiple OD users use. This is simple enough using ARD, but is there a way to push out a pre-configured version, such as a plist file for settings and extensions? It would be really nice to push this out with adblock and various settings already set.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Network Distribution

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-03, 09:45

For some excellent articles on configuration of mozilla-based browsers in corporate environments (Pale Moon having retained those configuration capabilities), please check out the excellent series of articles in Mike Kaply's blog.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=palemoonsp&q= ... fox&ia=web
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

d3adm8n

Unread post by d3adm8n » 2019-02-03, 20:30

Thanks for the link. I've read a few of those articles now and I honestly can't figure it out. No important preferences seem to be stored in ~/Library/Preferences/org.mozilla.newmoon.plist and thus when I add that file to Workgroup Manager's Preferences/Details tab and use Firefox's default policies (https://github.com/mozilla/policy-templates/blob/master/mac/org.mozilla.firefox.plist), nothing changes for the end user or client machine.

This is what I've tried so far...

And I get this error if I try to add the application directly instead of the plist file

Which looks to be attempting to read chrome.manifest instead of the plist file.

There's also policies.json but I don't know enough about it.

I could also work with NSUserDefaults if you have a list of those for this build? What am I missing?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-04, 22:38

I'm not sure why you're trying to edit those files -- what you likely want is using mozilla.cfg to preconfigure Pale Moon before distributing it to workstations.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

wicknix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by wicknix » 2019-02-05, 00:47

This may be the wrong way to go about things, but wouldn't it be easiest to just create a clean default profile, install required add-ons, set home page, etc via preferences pane, set any bookmarks (if needed), then just copy that profile to all the required machines and/or user accounts?

Cheers
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver...

d3adm8n

Unread post by d3adm8n » 2019-02-05, 11:58

Moonchild wrote:I'm not sure why you're trying to edit those files -- what you likely want is using mozilla.cfg to preconfigure Pale Moon before distributing it to workstations.
Thanks. I'm trying this method now. Although I fully expected plist editing to work as Mozilla state that this is also a valid method, I've also used the same MCX method for Chrome and a number of other applications.

And I've even run into an issue with mozilla.cfg. Here are my files:

autoconfig.js

Code: Select all

// comment
pref("general.config.filename", "mozilla.cfg");
pref("general.config.obscure_value", 0);
mozilla.cfg

Code: Select all

// comment

// Disable know your rights
lockPref("browser.rights.3.shown", true):

// Disable what's new
lockPref("browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone", "ignore"):

// Set homepage
lockPref("browser.startup.homepage", "data:text/plain,browser.startup.homepage=https://www.google.co.uk"):

// Disable ask for Flash
lockPref("plugins.notifyMissingFlash", false):

// Disable health report
lockPref("datareporting.healthreport.service.enabled", false):
I also have the AdBlock plugin in /distribution/extensions and all of this looks correct. Yet when I go to open NewMoon, I get this...

wicknix wrote:This may be the wrong way to go about things, but wouldn't it be easiest to just create a clean default profile, install required add-ons, set home page, etc via preferences pane, set any bookmarks (if needed), then just copy that profile to all the required machines and/or user accounts?
That's a nice idea but I don't think it would work with OD users, each profile is randomly generated "/Profiles/xxxx.default" so I think something would conflict.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-02-05, 12:09

Why you use colons instead of semicolons in your mozilla.cfg?

d3adm8n

Unread post by d3adm8n » 2019-02-05, 12:14

yami_ wrote:Why you use colons instead of semicolons in your mozilla.cfg?
Because I'm following the examples listed here: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... _before_60

Scrap that. You are completely right. I swear I was typing a semi, can't believe I missed that after looking at the file 10 times, lol. Thanks!
Last edited by d3adm8n on 2019-02-05, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-02-05, 12:18

This example uses semicolons.
Edit: No problem.