Using dark GTK theme causes input boxes to be black

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
EbonJaeger
Moonbather
Moonbather

Using dark GTK theme causes input boxes to be black

Unread post by EbonJaeger » 2019-01-22, 16:11

There appears to be a long-standing issue with Firefox that causes input boxes on websites to be black with black text, making anything you enter into it unreadable. It seems Pale Moon has inherited this. Is there any chance this could be addressed in Pale Moon, besides the non-answer of "just don't use a dark theme"?

An easy site to see the problem is http://www.tenor.com, which has a large search input box at the top of the page:

This is how it appears in Vivaldi:

fillerup

Re: Using dark GTK theme causes input boxes to be black

Unread post by fillerup » 2019-01-22, 18:34

i think it happens when you launch it through the terminal, but not when you launch the executable directly

EbonJaeger
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by EbonJaeger » 2019-01-22, 19:34

Nope, not launching from terminal.

slp_se
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by slp_se » 2019-01-22, 20:05

I work around that by using a global userstyle called White Text on White Field Fix, installed through Stylem.

anarchotaoist

Unread post by anarchotaoist » 2019-01-26, 06:15

slp_se wrote:I work around that by using a global userstyle called White Text on White Field Fix, installed through Stylem.
How do you install that? The link took me to a Chrome download! ??

slp_se
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by slp_se » 2019-01-26, 14:56

anarchotaoist wrote:
slp_se wrote:I work around that by using a global userstyle called White Text on White Field Fix, installed through Stylem.
How do you install that? The link took me to a Chrome download! ??
I probably imported the CSS code manually into a blank script. It's very small.

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Raava » 2019-01-30, 23:58

I use a dark theme in my Linux GUI, and also use a dark theme for Palemoon, but in the beginning I just forced every site to have my colours, black background, light green text and such, but many objects like [quote] or

Code: Select all

or [bold] buttons on forums have been only black on black, and I had to guess where these buttons have been.
The solution now is using the AddOn [i]Advanced Night Mode[/i]. It has the downside that sometimes newly opened pages are displayed for a short moment in their bright standard colours prior of [i]Advanced Night Mode[/i] taking over and changing the colours. It is neat, as it analyses the pages and not just inverts all colours, dark websites are still dark, while bright or white websites all get nice and dark.
yours truly, Rava

EbonJaeger
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by EbonJaeger » 2019-01-31, 05:21

What I want to know is how does it make any sense for the desktop theme to override website themes? Because to me that makes no sense whatsoever. I really don't think that styles from outside the browser should have any effect on the styling of actual websites.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-01-31, 05:31

WHat it really depends on is if the Website in question has actually styled the controls.. Cause if not.. Then they have to be rendered with some sort of style and in this case it is the system style.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-01, 18:16

EbonJaeger wrote:What I want to know is how does it make any sense for the desktop theme to override website themes?
It doesn't make any sense but that isn't what's happening -- the controls you have issues with are unstyled in the website. Unstyled controls will use whatever is the default in the browser, and whatever the default is in the browser depends on whether the controls are actually system-styled or not.

Usually when this happens, the website controls are styled but not complete, creating a mismatch between styled and unstyled parts of the element, where the unstyled parts will adopt the system theme, and the styled parts are not -- so it does exactly what you expected: the browser's styles override the system styles.

A potential solution on the browser side would be to always force a default style, but that would mean the controls will no longer respond to system themes, and people will not like that either.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Raava
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Raava » 2019-02-02, 07:07

Moonchild wrote:Usually when this happens, the website controls are styled but not complete, creating a mismatch between styled and unstyled parts of the element, where the unstyled parts will adopt the system theme, and the styled parts are not -- so it does exactly what you expected: the browser's styles override the system styles.

A potential solution on the browser side would be to always force a default style, but that would mean the controls will no longer respond to system themes, and people will not like that either.
Isn't part of the issue that some website coders only define some colours, assuming a user would never dare to use custom colours?
There is the one website coders rule "define one colour, define all colours"

Like with GMX.net, they are notoriously bad at that. When I used a forced colour setting that overrides the website colours (prior using Advanced Night Mode), I often had issues with GMX since they e.g. define that the text of a email should be very dark grey, but they never define the rest, e.g. the background. So I got very dark grey on black background. :problem:

Or with emails sent by GMX support. In interlink I also defined the colours, also having very light colours text, link, visited link. And black background. Now, the GMX email sure only defines the html text as being black (that would be the default setting anyway if nothing would have been changed :crazy: ), and define nothing more. So I get their Email as being black on black. :crazy:
Which reflects the help they are willing to give to free account users anyway: readability none, help provided: none. :lol:

"define one colour, define all colours", I already told them when I was a paying customer for a year about the issue, but the ones on the telephone did not understand or not care, or both. All they said was "users are not supposed to change the default colours in their browser, when that causes trouble reset to factory standards", say what? :crazy:
No, its the inability of the GMX web and email coders that causes trouble, not the user changing colours in his or her own browser to feed the individual need. Seriously.
yours truly, Rava