Error while compiling Mozilla packages on Gentoo: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

General discussion and chat (archived)
segmentation-fault

Error while compiling Mozilla packages on Gentoo: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

Unread post by segmentation-fault » 2019-01-31, 17:20

Hello,

I am writing this in response to Build failure, v27.1.0 using gcc-4.9.4, which is now locked, to offer the solution:

I don't know if this is still relevant to current Palemoon code. But it is a subtle error which results from the combination of
  • Mozilla packages using deep directory structures
  • Gentoo allowing its users to place PORTAGE_TMPDIR somewhere deeper than just a very short path
  • Linux kernel not being able (in its default configuration) to read more than 128 bytes for a shebang
You can read all details, with solution and workarounds in Gentoo bug #676886 .

:arrow: In short:

Use a shorter path for PORTAGE_TMPDIR, or compile a kernel with a higher value for BINPRM_BUF_SIZE in

/usr/src/linux/include/uapi/linux/binfmts.h

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Error while compiling Mozilla packages on Gentoo: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-01-31, 20:08

I'm pretty sure that has been fixed already in the overlay.
After all, the ebuild for 28.3.1 has these lines (inherited from 28.0.0 if not earlier):

Code: Select all

# Shorten obj dir to limit some errors linked to the path size hitting
# a kernel limit (127 chars):
mozconfig_var MOZ_OBJDIR "@TOPSRCDIR@/o"
And if you are not using an ebuild with those lines then you are likely using an unsupported version, which shouldn't be done if not for really valid reasons.

segmentation-fault

Re: Error while compiling Mozilla packages on Gentoo: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

Unread post by segmentation-fault » 2019-02-01, 22:00

vannilla wrote: I'm pretty sure that has been fixed already in the overlay.
That's why I said I am not sure if it is still valid for Palemoon - but it IS valid for Seamonkey 2.49.9.1_p0 from Gentoo. If what you say is true, then the Palemoon ebuild is better than Seamonkey's in this respect. :)

I have been using Palemoon for quite some time in Windows, but have yet to install it on Gentoo - up to recently I was unaware of the existence of an ebuild for it...I actually found about it during my search for this bug, through the mention of it in Build failure, v27.1.0 using gcc-4.9.4. :oops:

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-02-01, 22:24

It's not a Gentoo package, you have to install it as an overlay through layman or similar mechanism.
It's probably why Pale Moon doesn't have that problem: not depending on Gentoo's update cycle means faster updates and whatnot, at the cost of relying on a third party.
If you go to the Pale Moon for Linux page (linux.palemoon.org), there's a list mentioning Gentoo, though there are no links.
(I use it by the way.)

segmentation-fault

Unread post by segmentation-fault » 2019-03-01, 20:41

vannilla wrote:It's not a Gentoo package, you have to install it as an overlay through layman or similar mechanism.
Done: Palemoon on Gentoo. :)