Debian updates

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
14themoon

Debian updates

Unread post by 14themoon » 2019-01-02, 04:13

Please tell me the simplest and most direct way of updating Debian? I see the current issue is 28.2.2 but my system remains at 28.2.1 even after running system updates. I am currently running "stretch." Thank you.

jwjones

Re: Debian updates

Unread post by jwjones » 2019-01-02, 04:29

smoki

Unread post by smoki » 2019-01-02, 19:52

There was someone reporting some problem with OBS keys it seems recently (old keys expired or whatever), so maybe you are hitting that too:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11466&start=320

In your sources.list repo line you could add something like:
To check if that fails for you too. It will warn you, but will continue anyway.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-01-02, 21:43

I see no reason to update it really if its a LTS release.its only a point update so unless its desperately important i would leave it.Debian is known to bring new bugs and issues with its updates.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2019-01-03, 03:14

Yes, I have the update program configured with my general system update. It updated to 28.2.1 but when I run the system update or upgrade command it won't install 28.2.2. You're suggesting it isn't that important?

zorzi

Unread post by zorzi » 2019-01-03, 22:23

Moonraker wrote:I see no reason to update it really if its a LTS release.its only a point update so unless its desperately important i would leave it.Debian is known to bring new bugs and issues with its updates.
Trolling won't solve the problem.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-01-03, 22:57

zorzi wrote:
Moonraker wrote:I see no reason to update it really if its a LTS release.its only a point update so unless its desperately important i would leave it.Debian is known to bring new bugs and issues with its updates.
No it certainly will not and maybe you should heed your own advice before speaking nonsense.And excuse me but i was giving some helpful advice in regard to blindly updating ok.?..do you understand?.
But fine i will not try and help again but dont come whining and yelping on here because the syustem gets borked with a buggy update and your left with only a blinking cursor. 8-).If it isnt broke then dont fix it.!!!

Pale moon 29.4.1

zorzi

Unread post by zorzi » 2019-01-04, 08:43

Moonraker wrote:
zorzi wrote:
No it certainly will not and maybe you should heed your own advice before speaking nonsense.And excuse me but i was giving some helpful advice in regard to blindly updating ok.?..do you understand?.
But fine i will not try and help again but dont come whining and yelping on here because the syustem gets borked with a buggy update and your left with only a blinking cursor. 8-).If it isnt broke then dont fix it.!!!
I'm sorry for my harsh words. But with its stability policy, and since it receives only security updates, I think Debian is really the opposite of a bleeding-edge system. So I don't really understand what you mean by its "buggy updates"...

Now I must admit the topic subject is disturbing. The first post is confusing. Is the OP concerning Palemoon or Debian ?

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-01-04, 09:03

zorzi wrote:
Moonraker wrote:
zorzi wrote:
I'm sorry for my harsh words. But with its stability policy, and since it receives only security updates, I think Debian is really the opposite of a bleeding-edge system. So I don't really understand what you mean by its "buggy updates"...

Now I must admit the topic subject is disturbing. The first post is confusing. Is the OP concerning Palemoon or Debian ?
My apologises to you zorzi i was basing my comments on my own personal experience with debian in regard to non existent sound when updating debian.A search would confirm many people were having the same issues.i gave up with debian and used mint instead as my first distro..

Pale moon 29.4.1

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2019-01-07, 21:57

Pale Moon is not in Debian, so I would advise that Pale Moon be updated to address security issues. After all, Debian has updated firefox-esr, thunderbird, and chromium packages in Stable many times to address the same kind of problems.

14themoon, let's find out if your system can even see the update in my repo.

As root or with sudo, run

Code: Select all

apt update
apt policy palemoon
and report the result of the last command.

Note that a workaround would be to manually download the Debian 9.0 deb from the "Grab binary packages directly" link here: https://software.opensuse.org//download ... e=palemoon after you click Debian, and then install it with one of the several methods of installing a local deb, such as using gdebi.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2019-01-17, 04:15

Sorry for the delay. I haven't checked in a while. Okay here was the result of the last command:

palemoon:
Installed: 28.2.1~repack-1
Candidate: 28.2.1~repack-1
Version table:
*** 28.2.1~repack-1 500
500 http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... Debian_9.0 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

28.2.1 is the version I currently have. My efforts at updating won't get past that.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2019-01-18, 02:55

In attempting to install as a local deb (using gdebi) I got this message:
palemoon 28.3.0.png

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2019-01-18, 20:34

Since 28.2.1 hasn't been in my repo for quite some time, I would say you've haven't updated your apt database in quite some time. Run

apt update
as root or with sudo, then see what the apt policy command says. The gdebi message means what it says, but should change once you update the apt database. You should also get quite a few Debian security updates as upgrades that you've been missing.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2019-01-18, 21:49

I actually update on a very regular basis, using just the command you suggest. Still, the system is not completing the process.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2019-01-18, 21:55

This is what I got:

Installed: 28.2.1~repack-1
Candidate: 28.2.1~repack-1
Version table:
*** 28.2.1~repack-1 500
500 http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... Debian_9.0 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2019-01-18, 22:04

Is "apt update" showing any errors about not getting the updates from the repo because of authentication errors, then? If so, just reinstall the repo key. This has been a known issue for the OBS that I don't have any control over.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2019-01-19, 01:59

Here is what I get:

The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG 0FAD31CA8719FCE4 home:stevenpusser OBS Project <home:stevenpusser@build.opensuse.org>
Hit:8 http://security.debian.org stretch/updates InRelease
Fetched 1,487 B in 2min 9s (11 B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
All packages are up to date.
W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... Debian_9.0 Release: The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG 0FAD31CA8719FCE4 home:stevenpusser OBS Project <home:stevenpusser@build.opensuse.org>
W: Failed to fetch http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... elease.gpg The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG 0FAD31CA8719FCE4 home:stevenpusser OBS Project <home:stevenpusser@build.opensuse.org>
W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

So, yes, there does seem to be a problem here. Is this atypical or have you seen this problem before?

Thanks so much.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-01-19, 02:47

14themoon wrote:Is this atypical or have you seen this problem before?
stevepusser wrote:just reinstall the repo key. This has been a known issue for the OBS that I don't have any control over.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

GogrillaMincefriend
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by GogrillaMincefriend » 2019-01-20, 22:10

I dunno about anyone else, but I get the following error when trying to update (happens either direct or going through apt-cacher-ng):

Get: 1 http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/Debian_Testing  palemoon 28.3.0+repack-1 [41.6 MB]
Err http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/Debian_Testing  palemoon 28.3.0+repack-1
  File has unexpected size (41591664 != 41574956). Mirror sync in progress? [IP: 10.10.13.7 3142]
Hashes of expected file:
 - SHA256:f8fb27feddbaf5d3afe65d17d91357b56d0724484899f01bc3160289762d72ad
 - SHA1:9192acbdb08505a488e3c30c35abc619c36e266e [weak]
 - MD5Sum:cd1961d87372675d7d28606ef467376e [weak]
 - Filesize:41574956 [weak]

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2019-01-20, 22:21

The Debian Testing version on the OBS is getting some churn over the last few days. In fact, if you look at it now, no packages at all can be built on it because of some missing gcc-6-base: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... r/palemoon

Have you tried a direct download and install of the deb instead from the the repo, "grab binary packages directly"? https://software.opensuse.org//download ... e=palemoon