Is somthing wrong with Pale Moon repository for Debian?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
peiner

Is somthing wrong with Pale Moon repository for Debian?

Unread post by peiner » 2019-01-08, 10:25

Today "apt" wants to update Pale Moon for Linux from your repository (Debian buster/testing). But there are no changes in version number. It's still palemoon_28.2.2~repack-1_amd64.deb

Then I noticed that time stamps on your sever has changed from 06-Dec-2018 to 08-Jan-2019. My first thougt was: WTF ... malware infection or something else?

https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/Debian_Testing/amd64/

Last modified today! https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/stevenpusser/Debian_Testing/amd64/palemoon_28.2.2~repack-1_amd64.deb.mirrorlist

What's the reason for new .deb package files on server?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Is somthing wrong with Pale Moon repository for Debian?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-08, 12:37

Steve's working on fixing up a few metadata things in the deb package; I guess it may cause some updates to their last update date ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

bgstack15
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by bgstack15 » 2019-01-14, 16:41

On the topic of dpkg, does Debian have a convention for a new package release of the same application version? It looks to me like the "repack-1" could helpfully be incremented, but perhaps I misunderstand.

In Fedora/RHEL/CentOS, one normally uses a dash to separate the application version from the package iteration. For example, from my Fedora COPR for Pale Moon:

Code: Select all

palemoon-28.2.2-1.x86_64.rpm
If I make any changes to how it is packaged/bundled/released in the rpm, I would make it a -2.

palemoon-28.2.2-2.x86_64.rpm/[code]
The package release counter starts over at 1 (silly human languages) when upstream releases a new version, but some projects do actually start at rpm release 0.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2019-01-15, 19:36

I didn't make any updates recently to the repo, but will soon for PM 28.3.0. However, you referenced the Debian testing repo, where new package versions rolling into Buster in the OBS can trigger an automatic rebuild of Pale Moon to use a new library version--in that case, it still has the same PM version. (It also looks like I can add an Ubuntu_Next repo to make 19.04 packages, but that will be a snapshot with frozen packages--maybe).

One of the automatic Buster rebuilds failed recently, but I think it was earlier than the 8th. I just hit a link called "trigger rebuild" in that case, if all the other build requirements are met.

Stable versions of distros don't see that kind of rebuilding churn. Debian uses the same sort of convention, where the "-n" number denotes a packaging revision, as other distros. If I did revise the debian/copyright file in 28.2.0, I would have incremented that to a -2, but decided to wait until 28.3.0 so I wouldn't push a fairly pointless update of 28.2.0 to everyone. Some people still have limited bandwidth.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2019-01-16, 23:39

Yup--for stable distros, they were all built on Jan 15th, but Buster has already at least one automatic rebuild. Ubuntu Next hasn't had any yet.

Is it apt showing that it's a newer version based on the build date, or some other package updater?

apt list --upgradeable
The automatic rebuilds should quiet down once Buster enters a harder freeze, though.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2019-01-19, 00:45

And now it shows that Buster builds are unresolvable, due to a missing gcc-6-base package: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... r/palemoon

The previously-built packages from the 17th are still available--I hope they are still compatible.