Have mercy on us 32-bit souls

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Have mercy on us 32-bit souls

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-07, 08:06

zapper wrote:I may have not read correctly the first time, but you said that 32 bit is more supported by companies and that is why you do it?
I'll repeat myself:

32-bit applications tend to be more stable on 64-bit Windows than 64-bit applications are.
That has nothing to do with company support or the bitness of the O.S. itself. 32-bit Windows is just as stable as 64-bit Windows.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

zapper

Unread post by zapper » 2018-07-15, 00:25

Moonchild wrote:
zapper wrote:I may have not read correctly the first time, but you said that 32 bit is more supported by companies and that is why you do it?
I'll repeat myself:

32-bit applications tend to be more stable on 64-bit Windows than 64-bit applications are.
That has nothing to do with company support or the bitness of the O.S. itself. 32-bit Windows is just as stable as 64-bit Windows.
I never did get around to this, but thank you for putting up with my incessant questions.

Still interesting that's how it works though.

missmoondog

Re: Have mercy

Unread post by missmoondog » 2018-11-07, 12:08

adesh wrote:Request granted!

Here is a build that I created for my personal use. Browser will identify itself as "Nightly" as official branding isn't used.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8ejrqnv24xxf ... r.bz2?dl=1
i got this to work just fine, which is great, but how do you update it? version says 2018.03.16. also, how can i add an adblocker to it? the mozilla site tells me to install firefox.

seems to be very fast too!

thank you

fwiw, yes, there are people with 32bit machines out there still as i have 4 of them myself!

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-12-05, 17:12

missmoondog wrote: got this to work just fine, which is great, but how do you update it? version says 2018.03.16.
Sharing the latest build: https://nextcloud-fi.webo.hosting/s/pD7JNCognpKWNfp

I didn't know people would find it useful. If I see interest, I'll try to share new build every month.

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2018-12-17, 09:53

I know that @fedor2 is also compiling PM and Basilisk for 32bits Windows.
What is the difference among his versions and yours?

I am appreciate your effort supporting 32bits version; I am still using 32 bits Windows in an old computer and the free reactOS.
adesh wrote:
missmoondog wrote: got this to work just fine, which is great, but how do you update it? version says 2018.03.16.
Sharing the latest build: https://nextcloud-fi.webo.hosting/s/pD7JNCognpKWNfp

I didn't know people would find it useful. If I see interest, I'll try to share new build every month.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-12-17, 19:39

While both unofficial adesh's build isn't a half-assed modified rebuild by xp crazed people who want all the glory without putting in the effort and hard work to make their stuff a legitimate project. They simply wish to capitalize and abuse our projects, infrastructure, and resources for their own ends by creating the very confusion you are experiencing via not properly distinguishing them selves.

Adesh is simply doing a 32bit linux build of as-is code and I would hazard is pretty close to proper configuration just unbranded.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-12-17, 19:42, edited 3 times in total.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-12-31, 17:39

Couldn't find time to upload this, but now here is Serpent 2018.12.18 Christmas Edition. Enjoy!

https://nextcloud-fi.webo.hosting/s/79XWxgM6tdnyTyx

Happy New Year!

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-01-07, 00:01

I am currently using a 32bit computer and as a result i am dubious about using this "adesh" build so i stick with PM for now.This means we are relying on adesh for 32 bit builds and the long term seems dubious to me..adesh may spit the dummy out and then what.?
Get on our knees and beg and pray someone else takes the helm..?
not me folks....im out lol. :D :D
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2019-01-08, 09:11

Serpent name again? AFAIK Serpent was the name for a Basilisk fork from feodor2, but later name was changed to Centaury. right?

why is not at feodor2 github releases? is this fork from feodor2?

adesh wrote:Couldn't find time to upload this, but now here is Serpent 2018.12.18 Christmas Edition. Enjoy!

https://nextcloud-fi.webo.hosting/s/79XWxgM6tdnyTyx

Happy New Year!

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-01-08, 10:10

The Serpent branding is simply the only Basilisk branding that can be used freely. Unfortunately it was "abused" (technically you can not really abuse it, because it it free to use by everyone) by some people making Windows XP rebuilds. As you can see this can confuse users.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-01-08, 11:11

"Serpent" is just the name for any unofficial Basilisk build. Similar to how "New Moon" is the name for any unofficial Pale Moon build. As yami said, the unofficial branding can be used freely, though it's generally preferrable to use your own branding instead.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-08, 12:44

And this, people, I why I stress that you should not be using unofficial branding if you are serious about publishing and maintaining a rebuild or fork. Anyone making unofficial builds can use unofficial branding (and it will default to that) causing confusion as to what people are using -- which rebuild or fork? maintained by whom?

So please, for Pete's sake, if you plan to rebuild and redistribute for alternative platforms that official branded releases don't support, then create your own branding. It's not that difficult to do, since most of it is changing the brand.dtd and brand.properties for renaming, and changing the graphics to your own new branding image/logo.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2019-01-12, 10:41

Thank you, folks! I won't be publishing my builds anymore. I thought my work might help someone, but it never is good enough. Why so much fuss about the name? Why can't people just use the software if it works? I think it was pretty clear that it was a "Basilisk" 32-bit build, how does it matter what name it displays.

Yes, maybe I can take time to figure out how to create my own branding and changing few text properties may not take much time. But coming up with a good software name, and then an image and logo for it would be difficult for me; I don't have (designer) friends. All in all, I wanted to keep it light that's why without much consideration I just tossed the build for people wishing for it. Now I know I made a mistake. Even if I come up with my own branding, tomorrow people will find another reason to complain. So, no!

I think it's best for everyone if I just stop right here. I'll take down the link already shared. Be well. :(

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-01-13, 00:49

Out of curiosity, is there some barrier to allowing the 32-bit build of Basilisk to be distributed as a contributed build with official branding?
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-13, 12:29

Isengrim wrote:Out of curiosity, is there some barrier to allowing the 32-bit build of Basilisk to be distributed as a contributed build with official branding?
Yes. The barrier is "with official branding". Unlike Pale Moon, Basilisk does not make any exceptions for its official branding, so contributed builds can't carry official branding, period, unless explicitly allowed by the me.
Considering Basilisk's role and intended targets, and after discussing this with Travis, we've decided to only officially release Basilisk on Linux for 64-bit architectures. Any third-party build can't use the Basilisk branding.

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2019-01-13, 12:30

adesh wrote:Thank you, folks! I won't be publishing my builds anymore. I thought my work might help someone, but it never is good enough. Why so much fuss about the name? Why can't people just use the software if it works? I think it was pretty clear that it was a "Basilisk" 32-bit build, how does it matter what name it displays.

Yes, maybe I can take time to figure out how to create my own branding and changing few text properties may not take much time. But coming up with a good software name, and then an image and logo for it would be difficult for me; I don't have (designer) friends. All in all, I wanted to keep it light that's why without much consideration I just tossed the build for people wishing for it. Now I know I made a mistake. Even if I come up with my own branding, tomorrow people will find another reason to complain. So, no!

I think it's best for everyone if I just stop right here. I'll take down the link already shared. Be well. :(
@ adesh
"Now I know I made a mistake" : no, you didn't :)
"Even if I come up with my own branding, tomorrow people will find another reason to complain" : maybe or probably ;)

@ People :
- Adesh is helping you voluntarily and the builds are free.
- the name ? Did you understand that it was an unofficial "Basilisk" 32-bit build so with the unofficial name ?
The build is working w/o problem SO enjoy the build ! :)

@ MC, trava90
Adesh did it so building a "Basilisk" 32 bit Linux version is not a technical problem.
So why not building an official release ?
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-13, 12:35

@adesh I think you misread what I'm stating here.

If you make a simple rebuild for a different platform, of course it's fine to use Serpent.
It's for those people who want to basically reconfigure it into its own thing that I state that people in that case should be using their own branding. If multiple people do this and they all use the included unofficial branding, then if someone says they use "Serpent", does anyone know which build or configuration is being used? no. That causes a lot of confusion and makes troubleshooting almost impossible. To avoid that, I'm urging people who make it their own thing to not use included branding at all but make their own. That is all I said -- I wasn't saying you are somehow making a faux pas by publishing a 32-bit build as Serpent, at all, and I do appreciate you offering the binaries.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-03-01, 13:43

This just exemplifies my concerns when relying on these 3rd party builds.the "developer" of serpent is doing this for his own ends and just as expected he can jump ship at anytime and leave users in the lurch...i for one cannot use the browser if development is touch and go. :)

Pale moon 29.4.1

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2019-03-02, 13:25

Moonraker wrote:This just exemplifies my concerns when relying on these 3rd party builds.the "developer" of serpent is doing this for his own ends and
and is sharing his work so others can also benefit from it!
Moonraker wrote: just as expected he can jump ship at anytime and leave users in the lurch...i for one cannot use the browser if development is touch and go. :)
Everybody can jump ship, not only those offering 3rd party builds. Happened in the past with many projects and will happen most probably in the future as well.
One can use the browser as long as its development is alive and move on as soon as it dies. It's up to the user to make choices and nobody can be forced.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-03-15, 20:37

Its a bugger i cannot use basilisk on my 32bit machine.Have to invest in a 64bit then...feeling lonely here lol. :crazy:

Pale moon 29.4.1