Video fails in PM - works in Basilisk

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Video fails in PM - works in Basilisk

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2019-01-09, 22:32

^ Update: I'm no longer getting the Flash (blocked) message now -- but instead the Yahoo videos never load (see screen-shot) - I guess that's progress (but then I have not done a thing since the "Flash blocked" problem started):
Yahoo video don't load.png
... maybe at some point the videos will once again load :roll: (Yahoo is a mess of course....).

Further update: before I sent this (around 4-5 minutes later) I get this from Yahoo ("Something went wrong..."):
Yahoo videos a mess.png
.... like I said -- perhaps it's a Yahoo problem that gets fixed at some point -- can only hope....
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-01-09, 23:24

K.. Not staying long. The Flash version of JWPlayer simply refuses to play the media but if you disable flash then it will use the html5 version of jwplayer and it will play normal mp4 file. The odd thing is flash should be able to play mp4 no problem but maybe the scripting isn't giving the flash version the correct media or something or another.

I can say this, if it is a problem with a flash player it is NOT a problem with Pale Moon and indeed disabling flash is a solution.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-01-10, 05:09

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Yahoo still gives me the error below (thinks Flash is still disabled)

Do you have the extension HTML5 Media Tuner installed?

The extension, if set to "No HTML5" on yahoo.com, causes the "Flash disabled" error on Yahoo for me.

Setting the Tuner to either "HTML5 + MSE" or just "HTML5" for Yahoo gets rid of that error here.
(Changing the setting doesn't make the video use Flash Player, but rather will allow it to play in HTML5).
html5-tuner-settings.png
html5-tuner-settings.png (5.47 KiB) Viewed 289 times
Pale Moon Rising wrote:the Yahoo videos never load (see screen-shot)

I don't know if it's the only reason, but disabling autoplay will cause that on Yahoo. See if enabling it helps.
( about:config > media.autoplay.enabled = true )

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2019-01-10, 06:31

^ Thanks for the reply --
Do you have the extension HTML5 Media Tuner installed?

The extension, if set to "No HTML5" on yahoo.com, causes the "Flash disabled" error on Yahoo for me.

Setting the Tuner to either "HTML5 + MSE" or just "HTML5" for Yahoo gets rid of that error here.
Yes I do -- and I have already had it set to "HTML5 + MSE" (as you suggest) the entire time.
my current-media-mode setting.png
my current-media-mode setting.png (4.7 KiB) Viewed 278 times
I don't know if it's the only reason, but disabling autoplay will cause that on Yahoo. See if enabling it helps.
( about:config > media.autoplay.enabled = true )
This is what I've had this pref set at the entire time as well. -- so I've been going with both of your suggestions already -- but thanks for the feedback. :thumbup: (these are the settings that I've found work best for me from dealing with these issues in the past -- so have gone with this already ;)

Hmmm, guess what -- I just tried Yahoo (site that was giving me the video issues) and they are now working. I haven't changed a thing from the time they were not working until now when they are working (I did add the DisableFlash extension again (you might have noticed that in the first screen-shot) -- but that didn't change things either way apparently as the video problems continued to persist w/ and w/out the extension until when I just tried the site again and now find the site to be working again.

It's hard to believe but perhaps the issue just happened to be Yahoo site video issues coinciding with my installing the extension the first time and one had nothing to do with the other except that it was simply a Yahoo issue (unlikely scenario -- but certainly by far not the first time ironic coincidences have occurred in my case to suggest causal relationships that did not really exit.

Again -- many thanks for all your help :thumbup:
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-01-11, 18:06

Off-topic:
Correcting my earlier post:
coffeebreak wrote:. . . a toolbar button handy to just toggle Flash on and off.

There appears to be several one of these in both the Classic Add-ons Archive and Legacy Collector site:
FlashDisable. ; Flash OnOff; and Flashtoggle

Or use something like Block Content (which does have a few other functions, though you don't have to use them).

Personally I use PrefBar for that (also multi-function).

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2019-01-11, 21:46

coffeebreak wrote:
Off-topic:
Correcting my earlier post:
coffeebreak wrote:. . . a toolbar button handy to just toggle Flash on and off.

There appears to be several one of these in both the Classic Add-ons Archive and Legacy Collector site:
FlashDisable. ; Flash OnOff; and Flashtoggle

Or use something like Block Content (which does have a few other functions, though you don't have to use them).

Personally I use PrefBar for that (also multi-function).
I used FlashDisable which worked ok to get the video to work on the website in question by disabling flash -- after enabling flash again I (perhaps coincidentally) continued to have the problem with Yahoo videos thinking that flash was not enabled or getting blocked -- eventually this problem sorted itself out without my intervention (I did nothing) --- so I can't be sure if the Yahoo issue was an independent coincidence (seems unlikely but stranger things have happened to me many times) or a residual problem after enabling flash again for whatever reason via the FlashDisable extension. I'm a bit reluctant to test it out again since I use Yahoo all the time and virtually never need to see the weather.com videos myself (that's my wife wanting to see those videos). As far as I can tell the FlashDisable extension works fine as far as what it is supposed to do -- simply toggling the Flash plugin to either enabled or disabled and I have no idea why this would cause in issue with a website that requires Flash when Flash is enabled via the extension. (PrefBar appears to do a lot more than I need and includes many options that are redundant with other extensions I already use. After trying FlashDisable I did try "Flash Control" which did not work [not control icon available and options did not produce an interface] so I went back to using FlashDisable again [which is a simple flash enable/disable toggle and nothing more]... and I guess I'll eventually revisit this topic when the time comes that my wife will want to view more weather.com videos and I then toggle Flash back on again for Yahoo).

Thanks again for all the feedback....