Video fails in PM - works in Basilisk

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Video fails in PM - works in Basilisk

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2019-01-07, 22:37

Why do I get an error (see screen-shot) playing the weather.com videos (tested in Safe-Mode) in Pale Moon (note: they work in Basilsk) -
example video: https://weather.com/news/trending/video ... in-hungary
I get "This video cannot be played - Error Code: 214000" error for all videos on weather.com website using Pale Moon.
I get "This video cannot be played - Error Code: 214000" error for all videos on weather.com website using Pale Moon.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Video fails in PM - works in Basilisk

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-01-07, 22:46

Plays for me. I had to disable uBo (and untick Enable Media Source Extensions to get the audio to play right).

[It sucks to have to watch a 30 second ad in order to watch a 27 second video.]

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2019-01-07, 22:50

Works for me using Pale Moon 28.2.2. I did not need to disable MSE and my adblocker.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2019-01-07, 22:58

^ Thanks for the feedback! -- I guess since PMv28.2.2 it doesn't work for me in Safe-Mode -- it must therefore be my profile -- which I'm sure not about to delve into so I'll just use Basilisk instead of Pale Moon for these videos.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-01-07, 23:18

Works for me also on xenial puppy linux.Had to disable ubo and it was a stuttering few seconds at the beginning but then ran fine.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2019-01-07, 23:32

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Why do I get an error (see screen-shot) playing the weather.com videos (tested in Safe-Mode) in Pale Moon...
214000 A media playback error occurred in the flash player. <event.message> This video file cannot be played.
JW Player indicates your error is Flash-related: https://developer.jwplayer.com/jw-playe ... reference/

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2019-01-07, 23:39

satrow wrote:.... JW Player indicates your error is Flash-related: https://developer.jwplayer.com/jw-playe ... reference/
Many thanks for this info.... I'm using the Adobe Flash player plugin version 32.0.0.101 --- is anyone else using the same version?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-01-08, 00:06

Pale Moon Rising wrote:
satrow wrote:.... JW Player indicates your error is Flash-related: https://developer.jwplayer.com/jw-playe ... reference/
Many thanks for this info.... I'm using the Adobe Flash player plugin version 32.0.0.101 --- is anyone else using the same version?

The video tried to use Flash Player by default here, and failed.

But it plays fine for me if Flash Player is disabled. (MSE, adblocker are enabled)

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-01-08, 00:07

Flash should not be necessary.

If it is attempting to use Flash, you most likely have media.mediasource.enabled disabled.

And regardless, it should play using html5 (with media.mediasource.enabled enabled) or with Flash (media.mediasource.enabled disabled).
And if neither of them, then you've got something else interfering & all you need to do is to figure out what ;-).

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2019-01-08, 00:33

^ I've previously had media.mediasource.enabled set to "true".

The only "media.mediasource.xxxxx related pref I do not have set to "true" is "media.mediasource.webm.enabled (all others are set to "true").

I'll perhaps look into what might be interfering at some point when I've got more time --- or perhaps not and simply use use Basilisk for this websites videos. ;) (it was my wife not me who wanted to see the video so I directed her to Basilisk :D)

Many thanks for all the feedback....

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2019-01-08, 00:43

coffeebreak wrote:... The video tried to use Flash Player by default here, and failed.

But it plays fine for me if Flash Player is disabled. (MSE, adblocker are enabled)
Seems like perhaps some kind of conflict with the Flash Player --- I get same video error results in "safe-mode" so even with no add-ons the issue remains persistent.

I get the same results -- if I disable Flash Player then all videos (including my posted link) play fine.

If I set Flash Player to "Always ask" I get this (which only provides me with allow now or allow always) and there is not option to "NOT" allow the Flash Player with this setting:
Always Ask.png
So since we get the same results (which I get using "safe-mode" and not using "safe-mode) then it seems to support the concept that there is some kind of conflict if the Flash Player is enabled!

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-01-08, 00:47

Pale Moon Rising wrote:
The video of the dog rescue plays for me as well. Also, the video with the koala plays for me too.

I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.2.2 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19.1 (Tessa) Xfce. I did not have to disable my uBlock Origin adblocker. And I also have linux Flash 32.0.0.101 installed and it is set to "Always Activate" since I'm not paranoid about Flash like some people are.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2019-01-08, 00:50

^ follow-up: what impact will I have on all other various website videos if I were to leave the Flash Player plugin disabled?

Just curious coffeebreak -- do you usually leave the "Flash Player" disabled?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-01-08, 02:07

Pale Moon Rising wrote:do you usually leave the "Flash Player" disabled?

No, it's enabled.

It might be helpful, however you choose, to have a toolbar button handy to just toggle Flash on and off.

There appear to be several of these in both the Classic Add-ons Archive and Legacy Collector site:
FlashDisable; Flash OnOff; and Flashtoggle.

Or use something like Block Content (which does have a few other functions, though you don't have to use them).

Personally I use PrefBar for that (also multi-function).

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2019-01-08, 04:51

No error for me. The video will play like nothing happened, on my end.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2019-01-08, 05:17

It plays for me (no MSE or uBO disabled)
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-01-08, 05:33

Checked again. It's playing for me now too, in HTML5, without disabling Flash Player. (MSE, adblocker enabled)

It needs to be in Compat mode, not Native, or the player will display that error.
(I thought I had tested for this before, but must not have.)

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2019-01-09, 18:48

coffeebreak wrote:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:do you usually leave the "Flash Player" disabled?

No, it's enabled.

It might be helpful, however you choose, to have a toolbar button handy to just toggle Flash on and off.

There appear to be several of these in both the Classic Add-ons Archive and Legacy Collector site:
FlashDisable; Flash OnOff; and Flashtoggle.

Or use something like Block Content (which does have a few other functions, though you don't have to use them).

Personally I use PrefBar for that (also multi-function).
Before I read or tried anything else (which I just tried switching away from "Native" mode) I installed "FlashDisable" to try it out -- at first things looked good as I was able to toggle the Flash Player off to make the video in question play -- but since disabling Flash breaks Yahoo videos (which I need to use) I toggle Flash back on using the "FlashDisable" extension but Yahoo still gives me the error below (thinks Flash is still disabled):
Yahoo video problems now.png
Disabling the "FlashDisable" extension didn't help -- so I removed the extension -- still no help as I get the same problem as illustrated above. The Yahoo video will play in "Safe-Mode" (takes forever w/out extensions to block unwanted stuff).

So my only conclusion is that the "FlashDisable" extension has changed some pref setting in my Profile that remains even after removing the extension since I still get this problem with Yahoo videos w/out the extension.

Not knowing where to look I found this plugin-state.flash to not be set to default (screen-shot below) -- so I reset it to default but no help.
plugin-state not default.png
Is there a way to determine what might have been changed since the time Yahoo videos did work prior to installing the "FlashDisable" extension?

I have exited the browser and disable and enabled Flash but have not tried a reboot -- I'll try that next, otherwise at a loss as to what has caused Yahoo videos to think the Flash player is not working.

I wish I had just switched from "Native" mode to "FF compat" mode (your last post) which from what I understand now would have fixed the problem as far as playing both videos darn it.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2019-01-09, 19:36

I have rebooted, cleared browser cache, cleared Yahoo cookies and disabled one-by-one all extensions that do any type of blocking -- still ever since installing and since removing the "FlashDisable" extension Yahoo thinks that Flash is either not enable (which it is) or it is getting blocked (which it may be but how is the question). I'm assuming since Yahoo videos work in safe-mode there must be a pref in my profile that makes Yahoo think that Flash is getting blocked.....

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2019-01-09, 22:25

Pale Moon Rising wrote:I guess since PMv28.2.2 it doesn't work for me in Safe-Mode -- it must therefore be my profile
From another thread:
Isengrim wrote:It's generally a good idea to disable all add-ons before running these kinds of tests. Safe Mode actually isn't a good idea in this case, because it disables certain graphical capabilities in addition to add-ons. Your best bet is creating a fresh temporary profile and running the test with that profile.