Any reasons to not use Pale Moon Browser?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Aplam

Any reasons to not use Pale Moon Browser?

Unread post by Aplam » 2019-01-09, 06:35

Pale Moon came with my OS which is Manajaro. I gave it a test run and it works fine. With firefox and chromium around is there a reason not to use pale moon? Firefox may be faster than pale moon but may use more resources but I have nothing to back that up except from my own observations on my machines.

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Any reasons to not use Pale Moon Browser?

Unread post by loxodont » 2019-01-09, 07:30

Hi and Welcome to the forum!
Why not check it out on your preferred sites? It's hard to say which browser works best for you, as it depends partly on the sites you visit, your settings and hardware...
For me Pale Moon is the top browser on Xubuntu 16 and 18 -x32 on 2 devices. I also installed FF 52.9.0 ESR and there's hardly a difference in performance, but I have some more (minor) problems with FF 52 there and more legacy add-ons to install to make it work for me. I also gave FF 64 a try as it was auto-updated anyway, but it's performance was really bad on my older netbook. Later I read, that this was "normal" for the first start(s) with FF 64, but I personally don't like the new design, options and features, so I will rather stay with FF52 as backup browser.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2019-01-09, 10:26

I do not think it is mainly a case of sites working/not working (if they are customized to work with just one browser they are bad :mrgreen: ), and possibly not even of performance, but on the fact Pale Moon has a better and customizable UI, a better customizability in general, particularly concerning add-ons, and a better consideration for privacy.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-01-09, 10:27

I use palemoon on my xenial pup linux and it runs just fine and i also have firefox installed and the speed difference is negotiable and there is no real difference between them.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2019-01-09, 12:27

Moonraker wrote: and the speed difference is negotiable.
You manage to argue with your browser and get results? Impressive :)

I argue with the browser and the result is negligible. How sad is that? :(
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-01-09, 12:46

Ultimately there are many possible reasons not to use Pale Moon or any other browser, for that matter. In most cases it boils down to whether the websites you are visiting work well for you on your browser of choice or not. In general, non-working sites are a rarity no matter which browser you're using.
It all depends on which sites you frequent and what your workflow is.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2019-01-09, 12:58

I've been using linux Pale Moon since it was first released to the public in January of 2014. About the only problem I see for my needs, some sites are using user agent sniffing and that is an easy work around for me by using "about:config" and either modifying a user agent or creating a totally new String and then creating a new user agent for that String to accommodate the problem child web site.

Appearance wise, I don't think there is another browser that is more customizable "out of the box" than Pale Moon. I can move my toolbar buttons and toolbars around to anywhere I basically want. Just go to the General Discussion forum and look at the topic, "How My Pale Moon Looks" and you can see how people change the looks of their Pale Moon both in linux and windows Pale Moon.

Speedwise, on all of my four computers, linux Pale Moon has always been faster than linux Firefox. Even though this forum is for Pale Moon for Linux, I initially started using windows Pale Moon back in the year 2011 and was "tickled pink" when linux Pale Moon came into being.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-01-09, 13:59

yereverluvinuncleber wrote:
Moonraker wrote: and the speed difference is negotiable.
You manage to argue with your browser and get results? Impressive :)

I argue with the browser and the result is negligible. How sad is that? :(
aha computing in general can be somewhat frustrating at times.The only website which seems to struggle on PM for me is facebook and that is why firefox is also installed.Other than that ALL my other browsing is done with palemoon.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

JSB2000

Unread post by JSB2000 » 2019-01-10, 00:05

Aplam wrote:With firefox and chromium around is there a reason not to use pale moon?
Well, here's one: Palemoon doesn't currently have a mobile version (or, more accurately, one that's still actively developed/updated with security patches).

So, if you want to synchronize your bookmarks, passwords, etc for use "on the road" with your phone/tablet, Firefox/Chrome/Chromium may be your only alternatives.

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2019-01-10, 00:39

Night Wing wrote:... I don't think there is another browser that is more customizable "out of the box" than Pale Moon.
In addition to this, one of the main reasons for me to prefer Pale Moon over other browsers is, that it comes with good, acceptable default settings "out of the box", so I don't have to spend much time with disabling unwanted features. - You can customize a lot of things "your way", but you don't need to customize so much to turn off "their" way. :) (telemetry, pocket, screenshot,...)

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2019-01-10, 00:58

JSB2000 wrote:Well, here's one: Palemoon doesn't currently have a mobile version (or, more accurately, one that's still actively developed/updated with security patches).

So, if you want to synchronize your bookmarks, passwords, etc for use "on the road" with your phone/tablet, Firefox/Chrome/Chromium may be your only alternatives.
Well, Aplam's question was about Manjaro Linux, which - like Pale Moon - seems to focus on software under control of the user. Dunno if this was mobile related...

pepalogik

Unread post by pepalogik » 2019-01-11, 14:58

For me there is strong reason not to use PM on my laptop, which has a touchscreen (guess what): PM has no support for touchscreens! I even couldn't find an extension providing this functionality.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-01-11, 15:22

pepalogik wrote:For me there is strong reason not to use PM on my laptop, which has a touchscreen (guess what): PM has no support for touchscreens! I even couldn't find an extension providing this functionality.
This is a known issue, and will need more than an extension to fix. Issue #591 (UXP)
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

pepalogik

Unread post by pepalogik » 2019-01-19, 19:25

Isengrim wrote:This is a known issue, and will need more than an extension to fix. Issue #591 (UXP)
The referenced issue suggests that PM has touchscreen support already but that is off by default. Can I turn it on? I have tried setting dom.w3c_touch_events.enabled to 2 or 1 (based on this) and even starting PM with

Code: Select all

env MOZ_USE_XINPUT2=1 palemoon
(based on this), but no success. All attempts to scroll a page with a finger (or even with two fingers) have resulted only in text selection, no scrolling.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-01-19, 20:53

pepalogik wrote:The referenced issue suggests that PM has touchscreen support already but that is off by default.
If you look at the linked issue (Issue #506 (UXP)), Moonchild believes that touchscreen support in UXP is handled by the accessibility subsystem, which is disabled in Pale Moon.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Aplam

Unread post by Aplam » 2019-01-22, 18:36

Lucio Chiappetti wrote:I do not think it is mainly a case of sites working/not working (if they are customized to work with just one browser they are bad :mrgreen: ), and possibly not even of performance, but on the fact Pale Moon has a better and customizable UI, a better customizability in general, particularly concerning add-ons, and a better consideration for privacy.

My problem has been solved
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2019-01-23, 04:43

OP asked for a ban after having his q answered? :eh:

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2019-01-23, 05:11

The conspiracy was all his, attempting to abuse the forum for SEO purposes.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-01-23, 05:56

satrow wrote:The conspiracy was all his, attempting to abuse the forum for SEO purposes.
Clarify, please.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2019-01-23, 06:10

He was only here to spam with his new sig.